Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Always Upside down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Always Upside down

Freaking hell that's amazing!!!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Spunkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2016, 04:36 PM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbx View Post
I think i have finally finished my re-working of the TH package!
I have finalised the steering and suspension, settling on semi-upright shocks (75mm gmade), with the bell crank setup now producing much reduced bump steer over stock geometry.
I've settled on a battery tray setup that securely fits a shorty pack and allows battery removal through the windscreen aperture.
Latest parts are a combined esc and receiver mount with a water resistant protection box for the receiver.
She's handling really so well now. My Axial Wraith is just not matching up to the hammers so far. The wraith is either slower, clumsier or most often so far, broken. The TH just takes everything we throw at it and keeps going.

That's amazing. Once the wallet refills I'll have to pick up one of your setups. What are the max esc dimensions for your esc tray?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

I don't suppose you could send the plans (for a fee) so I could get it printed locally in Australia?

Feel free to sue me if I tried to sell it as my own.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:41 PM   #64
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di_Spencer View Post
That's amazing. Once the wallet refills I'll have to pick up one of your setups. What are the max esc dimensions for your esc tray?

The space is a bit limited!
The max width is defined by the shock towers = 40mm
The version i've done including the tx box then has a max length of 46mm.
The plain version does not limit the length.
I could probably do a custom length version for you if needed, but you still have limited width.
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:47 PM   #65
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkybob View Post
I don't suppose you could send the plans (for a fee) so I could get it printed locally in Australia?

Feel free to sue me if I tried to sell it as my own.

Does Shapeways not ship to Aus?
The price of the Shapeways build is by far the bulk of the cost, but their prints are really good. I send parts like this to Aus though eBay from time to time and the shipping is not that bad really.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:43 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Does Shapeways not ship to Aus?
The price of the Shapeways build is by far the bulk of the cost, but their prints are really good. I send parts like this to Aus though eBay from time to time and the shipping is not that bad really.
They do ship to Aus but with the exchange rate it's so expensive.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:16 AM   #67
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The space is a bit limited!
The max width is defined by the shock towers = 40mm
The version i've done including the tx box then has a max length of 46mm.
The plain version does not limit the length.
I could probably do a custom length version for you if needed, but you still have limited width.
I've just tweaked this to make the length 50mm - now fits Mamba Max and Sidewinder ESC's
Old 07-16-2016, 07:02 AM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I've just tweaked this to make the length 50mm - now fits Mamba Max and Sidewinder ESC's
Great because I am running a MMP and was hoping it would fit.

Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:58 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Wow, very impressive work on the front structure you've designed!

Maybe I'm just weird, but I prefer the handling of my Twin Hammers with 60-70 weight in the stock rear shocks. I figured the trailing arms reduced the leverage ratio so I needed to up the damping. I think that the manual even calls for 60-70 weight depending on setup.

For the rear swaybar "slack", I put HPI 5x9x2 O-rings on the front of the trailing arms pivots at the chassis, figuring I wanted to keep the arms true with the shocks instead of the rear axle. I also swapped the lower swaybar link end for a conventional 1942 traxxas rod end with a longer bolt and nylock nut. This reduces the offset leverage from the swaybar onto the arm since it moves the pivot closer to the centerline of the trailing arms.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:40 AM   #70
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

I wouldn't disagree with your feelings on weight distribution. I certainly didn't want to make it front heavy, but could not live with the high centre of mass. This solution works really well. I'm running the front end sat a little low which also helps, and it turns really well now on most surfaces without ending up on the roof.
I think appart from the hopeless sliding rack steering of the stock TH, i've been really impressed with the vaterra. Now, after building and running an axial wraith, i know just how good the vaterra is. The wraith has cost me a fortune to keep running and breaks something at almost every outing. The handling sucks too, i think due to the lack of ackerman steering. I've upped the battery to 3s to help shift it's bigger weight, but that's helping to break more stuff too. For no fuss bang for buck, the kit TH is clearly very hard to beat!
Old 08-15-2016, 07:21 AM   #71

I'm suckered in. Ordered the whole lot from Shapeways and looking forward to the install. Part of the appeal is the clean finished appearance to your design. Makes the original layout look more awkward than it already was. I never did like the receiver hangout out in the open with no dedicated space either. I had my own home grown upright shock mount and love it but yours just looks better plus integrated with bell cranks. Brilliant!
eMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:43 PM   #72

So my first pieces from Dbx came in! This package was the shifter assembly. Very nice finish and much stronger than I was anticipating. I love the design, kudos to you sir.

But I have some fitment issues. The black base seems to be about 3mm too short? I placed the alignment nubs that are on the bottom of the base piece into the holes of the trans from each end to make sure. The screw holes on my trans are 42mm center to center. Im wondering if its becsuse I have the China Hammer...which shouldnt matter as I have upgraded this thing with alot of after market Vaterra parts and have had no issues.

Update: I ordered an actual vaterra trans case. The china hammers came with weird 5 wire servos so im thinking the mouniung tab is different. Especially after looking at transmission cases of other vaterra hammers online.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by eMoon; 09-22-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:38 PM   #73
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Errrr... Yeah, that is strange! Mine are 39mm between centres. Quite a few of these have gone out without issue now. Your front ear appears to be longer than most. Grrrr.
Just to be clear, is that the china hammers case or replacement vaterra case that is 42mm?
I will do a 42mm version for you. PM me to cofirm its exactly 42mm and we'll sort something out.

Yes, the 'stront and flexibe' is impressively robust!
Old 08-18-2016, 06:06 AM   #74

Thanks Dbx. This is currently the China Hammers transmission case. Knowing your measurements, I think that's where the hiccup is since we are 3mm different, exactly what I thought it was.

No need to print a new one for me as I wanted to replace my trans case anyway as a couple screws are stripped and it won't pull tightly closed. I've ordered a Vaterra case to confirm size differences and swap it out. I will take better measurements for you and post them here in case you decide there is a need to have a version for clone hammers. Otherwise I'd leave it alone, it's a really nice piece. After all, a replacement trans case is only $5.

It is weird though as everything else, minus a pinion bearing on the rear axle, has been the same to the true Vaterra.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #75

Hopefully the steering pieces work

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
razdawg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #76
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by razdawg22 View Post
Hopefully the steering pieces work

No need to hope. They do.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #77

I have no doubts about things working and didn't mean for this to cause any. Just trying to let folks know what to watch out for if they have a China Hammer. Just get a $5 vaterra trans case and I bet things are gravy. I'm sure the steering parts will align nicely as I've already installed Sr Irie's bell crank on one of them as seen above.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #78

I wasn't meaning to cause any alarm either, when you buy a clone you have to deal with any consequences. I am looking forward to ordering the steering and battery tray.

razdawg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:21 PM   #79

Hey Dbx, I confirmed the China Hammers hole to hole distance on the transmission case is 42mm center to center. Looks like the alignment hole to screw hole is ok. Must have been a design change on the China version because of the servos tbey use.

Vaterra trans case came in. The shapeways base plate fits like a glove. Can't wait to change out the case.

Last edited by eMoon; 09-22-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #80
Rock Stacker

Bought "scorched_parts" Twin Hammers Steering and Suspension Upgrade, because liked how the servo was located, but think that there is a small flaw in the design.
The corner of the servo and part of the Steering and Suspension Upgrade protrude outside the body panels.
Will be sad to cut my body panels (Carter Fab body panels) because they keep mud, etc. out.
dbuus is offline   Reply With Quote

Always Upside down - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upside down shocks? brilamb2 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 10-08-2009 02:08 PM
Upside down shocks ? SMUDGEBUG Axial AX-10 Scorpion 21 12-05-2007 03:38 PM
upside down shocks? mysharona Newbie General 3 11-27-2007 03:43 PM
Upside down shocks pbfrk4life General Crawlers 9 04-17-2007 11:53 AM
Axles upside-down? smojoe Tamiya TLT Crawlers 1 04-18-2006 06:22 PM