Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Always Upside down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #81
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Always Upside down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuus View Post
Bought "scorched_parts" Twin Hammers Steering and Suspension Upgrade, because liked how the servo was located, but think that there is a small flaw in the design.
The corner of the servo and part of the Steering and Suspension Upgrade protrude outside the body panels.
Will be sad to cut my body panels (Carter Fab body panels) because they keep mud, etc. out.
Hey Dbuus.
From what i can see, the carter fab panels are quite unusual in that they tuck in much further than the stock. The stock body, and any body that doesn't come in like that will fit fine.
Looks like a little bit of trimming will be required! Sorry Dude. It's hard to design a perfect fit for stock parts, but impossible to design for all the combinations of accessory parts people may fit. Once you get it all together, you won't be disappointed.
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #82

Hi Dbx,
I'm looking for a new shorty pack as I think my current battery is puffed and I don't care to chance using it much longer. It was also just a tad too long for your battery holder. Can you share what pack you are using or the dimensions you designed it for? Thanks.
eMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #83
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMoon View Post
Hi Dbx,
I'm looking for a new shorty pack as I think my current battery is puffed and I don't care to chance using it much longer. It was also just a tad too long for your battery holder. Can you share what pack you are using or the dimensions you designed it for? Thanks.
Hey. The battery tray you have is 93mm. This will fit 'rc core' 4000mah batteries. i found this is a great battery for the price.
My latest trays are 96mm, which allows some other batteries, but you can always trim the end to fit these too.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #84

Copy that. I also found you did put recommended battery dimensions on the Shapeways page. Sorry about not doing research before asking...

Other than that I have all the pieces installed on my TH Bug and report no issues other than the ESC holder hitting the upper links on full compression, but that's only becuase of my rear shock choice. With 110mm kings it will bump but when switched to Gmade 103mm they just kiss each other. Wound up being perfect. My other issue is to somehow fix some binding that occurs in my trans when shifting from high to low or vice versa. I have to rock the car a bit to get the gears to engage but no issues to report with the Scorched Parts.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #85
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMoon View Post
Copy that. I also found you did put recommended battery dimensions on the Shapeways page. Sorry about not doing research before asking...

Other than that I have all the pieces installed on my TH Bug and report no issues other than the ESC holder hitting the upper links on full compression, but that's only becuase of my rear shock choice. With 110mm kings it will bump but when switched to Gmade 103mm they just kiss each other. Wound up being perfect. My other issue is to somehow fix some binding that occurs in my trans when shifting from high to low or vice versa. I have to rock the car a bit to get the gears to engage but no issues to report with the Scorched Parts.
Pleased to hear its all working well for you! The gear change binding is normal - hence the need to change on the move when using a servo. Using a manual shift will only be more gentle on the gears.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #86
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbx View Post
Hey Dbuus.
From what i can see, the carter fab panels are quite unusual in that they tuck in much further than the stock. The stock body, and any body that doesn't come in like that will fit fine.
Looks like a little bit of trimming will be required! Sorry Dude. It's hard to design a perfect fit for stock parts, but impossible to design for all the combinations of accessory parts people may fit. Once you get it all together, you won't be disappointed.
Hi Dbx.

I got it all to fit. There were just a little bending and sawing
To show what I mean by that it goes beyond the chassis, I have taken a few pictures where I have put duct tape on, to show it.
Hope that you can see what I mean?

dbuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #87
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Hey dbuus,
I'm pleased you have it all fitting now. That corner is the furthest out point, but does fit within the stock body, and the majority of others. Hopefully you will now feel the benefits!
Old 09-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #88
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbx View Post
Hey dbuus,
I'm pleased you have it all fitting now. That corner is the furthest out point, but does fit within the stock body, and the majority of others. Hopefully you will now feel the benefits!
Have not had a chance/time to test it yet (work occupies too much of my spare time ), but am looking forward to get it tested.
dbuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:25 AM   #89

As mentioned before I have all the Scorched Parts stuff installed and was just able to fire up the Twin Hammers with it. I am reusing the same Blue Bird steering servo I was before and I feel the power of the servo is utilized much more effectively. I was already using another bellcrank type set up too, but now it turns with much more authority and strength. I feel there is a greater degree of steering angle provided with the Scorched Parts steering kit too.

Upon close inspection, I noticed slight distortion on the chassis at full steering lock both left and right as the servo tried to turn the wheels in the stock location. There was no binding and I wasn't bumping up against physical travel limits of the knuckles but the servo just couldn't push the bellcrank to full lock. I just think the Scorched Parts mechanics allow the servo to apply full force better than the stock location.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #90
RCC Addict

Do you know if you can run your battery tray with your cantilever steering set up?

Sorry if this was already mentioned, and I didn't see it on shapeways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:48 PM   #91
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
Do you know if you can run your battery tray with your cantilever steering set up?

Sorry if this was already mentioned, and I didn't see it on shapeways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Cobra.
The 'Steering and Suspension' kit is the full mod, designed to work with the low slung battery tray. The 'Bell Crank Steering' kit just addressees the steering upgrade, and so will not work with the low battery.
Hope that helps!
Db
Old 12-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #92
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

A bit of Autumn / Winter fun with the Scorched Parts Hammers.
http://vid1074.photobucket.com/album...pshcmwrszm.mp4

Besides a slightly glitchy mmp esc, i've run out of mods i want to do the the Hammers. The Wraith project could go a bit further.... but I'm thinking santa could bring an SCX10ii. Knight Customs already does some great Shapeways parts for this, but i was thinking RC4WD Land Rover body and associated bits and peices i would need to do for that.

Last edited by Dbx; 12-05-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:29 AM   #93
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Default 20% off at Shapeways!

Just letting you guys know, Shapeways are currently offering a 20% discount!
Old 05-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #94
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Update on the Scorched Parts bell crank setups and other parts.
I have now updated the kits on Shapeways. The kits are now simpler to buy and by combining parts in the prints, they are cheaper too! Check the link at the bottom of my post.
The bell cranks kits have been a steady seller for the last six months and i've had nothing but good feedback. All feed back gratefully recieved. As stated in my shapeways shop, if theres a problem, tell me (i'll fix it), if you love the kit, tell others!
Old 05-26-2017, 01:52 PM   #95
Slow is the new Fast

Finally got to another Twin Hammers build. His one has your shock mount/bell crank system in it. I will put up a couple of pics later today when I get a chance.

Bottom line is performs well. Haven't beat it hard or anything to test for extreme durability, but that isn't really my driving style anyway. For anyone looking a front suspension/steering upgrade combo. I would not hesitate to go in this direction. The design is sound and the parts quality equally so.

Thanks again Dbx.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #96
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for that Smog! Always great to hear from a happy TH driver!

Always Upside down - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upside down shocks? brilamb2 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 10-08-2009 02:08 PM
Upside down shocks ? SMUDGEBUG Axial AX-10 Scorpion 21 12-05-2007 03:38 PM
upside down shocks? mysharona Newbie General 3 11-27-2007 03:43 PM
Upside down shocks pbfrk4life General Crawlers 9 04-17-2007 11:53 AM
Axles upside-down? smojoe Tamiya TLT Crawlers 1 04-18-2006 06:22 PM