Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Twin Hammers Clone - WLtoys k949 - cheap build project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2016, 12:41 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Twin Hammers Clone - WLtoys k949 - cheap build project

Hi,

https://youtu.be/9wymqaFwTk0

I got my TH-clone for a while and I have been tryin' to modify this ever since I got it just to make it handle a bit better. Since as you all know (base on the knock-off page) that this brand has the softest springy suspension you can get. Making this car a bit hard to control specially when you are in high gear.

So first thing I did was trying to get some thicker weight suspension oil. Noticed right away after I opened the suspension cap is that it doesnt have any oil at all, only probably a drop of silicone oil. So cleaned and pour some 40 weights in it. The rear seems to bounce ok but still soft, but the front is terrible.

Bought some 1,000wt, 3,000wt and 5,000wt diff silicone oil and still bad. Went to check on forums to see what the others did and all i see are pure full front suspension mod. From the cantilever to a upright shock set-up. Went to see what to do that won't cost that much. Then I found this pic

****borrowed pic****

****borrowed pic****

So I went hunting for a flat aluminum bar but I couldnt find anything near me until I saw this...

Yes, its a meat fork. The Y shape just gave me idea of a lesser work and its only for $2.00. So I went ahead and start cutting it and then had this. Found myself some used plastic body shocks (i dont know from what brand) on my local hobby shop that has good dampings in it. Front is 85mm and back is 100mm for $20.00

This is how it was mounted. Just drilled 3 holes on the bar to where screws are located on the bracket of the truck.

This is how it looks. Love the look specially on how discrete the shocks are. No modifications made on the cage. Just direct bolt in.

So the next set-up that i want to do is the electronics. Since the only thing that is setting the TH-clone (or as some forumers call it VA-CHINA), besides the rear pinion gear on the rear cvd, its the electronics.

I planned to go brushless but after some time of reading and asking to some other forumers here, and plus that I am on a budget, Ill stick with brushed set-up first. I also realized that this truck is a bit hard to control on high speeds as well.

So to stay on y budget, I already have a stock 540 can brushed motor in it already, so Ill jusy need to buy a Rx/Tx and an ESC and 2 servos. So I went to my local hobby shop and Im not sure if you call this luck, but I got myself a HOBBY HORIZON DYNS2210 DYNAMITE 60A Brushed ESC for (converted from aed) $19.00 and a metal gear Servo for only $15 with 13kg - 15kg torque and a mini servo still with the same metal gears for the same price of $15.

Then I was looking for some cheap Radio and then I stumbled on a FlySky FS-GT3C for $60

And began removing the old china ESC/Rx in one and began installing my ESC and Rx.

I know its a bit messy inside, but thats how I like my spaghetti. Hahaha!

Right now, she handles like a dream.. next plan would be:
- doing a metal cage (DIY)
- DIY servo saver for the transmission
- Front and rear sway bars
- metal transmission gears
- metal rear cvd

Ill just update as time goes on.. cheers!

And the most recent pic. Fruit salad!

Last edited by danvincent999; 08-31-2016 at 04:16 AM.
danvincent999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2016, 01:55 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Twin Hammers Clone - WLtoys k949 - cheap build project

Here is a video before I had the Suspension changed...

https://youtu.be/9lb3K-A7D2s

And here is a video after the suspension mod and electronic mod.

https://youtu.be/Xlq0mXlrIMM

See the difference of rebound or absorbing power of the moded shock compared to the stock from the first video.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Last edited by danvincent999; 08-31-2016 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:24 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Excellent use of a meat fork, love the ingenuity!
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Update...

Changed back to the standard cantilevers. Bought a aftermarket Vaterra Twin Hammers aluminum shocks.

Works great in crawling.

Heres the video:
https://youtu.be/WNIWZn-oz5g

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2017, 07:56 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Does anyone know if twin hammer parts bolt on to the clone? I already have a th and was contemplating buy one of the clones for my 5 yr old.
diesel kawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:25 AM   #6

Yes they fit.
Is a 100% clone the big difference is in the electronics.

Cheers
Adakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:49 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

What is your front cantilever setup that allows for so much flex? I want to keep the cantilever but I want to get flex like yours for crawling duty. I intend to run two different pairs that I swap out, one soft one stiff for speed stuff.
Damatheus is offline   Reply With Quote

Twin Hammers Clone - WLtoys k949 - cheap build project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twin Hammers clone Brake Weight Non Crawler RC's 60 01-20-2018 04:42 AM
My upgraded Clone Hammers (WlToys K949) luminova11 Vaterra Twin Hammers 41 06-06-2017 01:24 AM
Bought a 2nd Twin a Hammers (clone) Rob L Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 03-26-2016 03:49 PM