Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Twin Hammers front suspension setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2016, 05:08 AM   #1
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Default Twin Hammers front suspension setup

There was some discussion on fb regarding TH front suspension travel. I thought it worth sharing what i've found. A lot of people will know this already, but some won't.
I took some shots of my outdrives that show the limits of correctly setting the travel.
1st at max extension - the drive pin is right on the edge, but with enough engagement to not pop out.

2nd at full compression, viewed with pin at front - pin appears to have plenty of space, but there isn't

3rd, again at full compression but viewed with the pin pointing upwards - it's about 1/2mm from bottoming out.

I'm not sure what happens if the shaft end goes past bottoming out, but the sort of loads that will be generated is almost sure to bend and break things.

A correctly set stock setup achieves this full range of travel. You won't get more travel than this with stock outdrives.

I do wonder how many drive system breakages seen are caused by bottoming out of the shaft.

In the few months i've been taking an interest in the TH front setup, i've seen a lot of setups that will reduce full travel, bottom the shaft out or pop drive shafts out. If your setup is not stock, and you havn't checked this, it's worth having a look. May allow you to find more travel, and may save you a broken truck in the next big hit!
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2016, 05:46 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Twin Hammers front suspension setup

I just re-fix mine today.. actually just a min ago. I did the tire rotation wuth full compress bottom and stretch. Mine is good.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
danvincent999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Maybe building a lock system that secure the shaft so it cant pop out at full droop?
Traildriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildriver View Post
Maybe building a lock system that secure the shaft so it cant pop out at full droop?
Yes, but that is exactly the job the shock will do when sized and adjusted right.
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Installed a GCM plate on mine with upright shocks (Had 83mm Gmade shocks)
Figured since it was designed for the SCX10 shocks, the 83's would limit travel (which they do in the up, but in the down, dogbones pop out)
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Twin Hammers front suspension setup - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vaterra twin hammers rear suspension links? gofaster427 Axial SCX-10 1 07-13-2014 12:06 PM
twin hammers brushless setup help gsrcivic Electronics 12 05-28-2014 03:01 PM