Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Tartan Hammers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2016, 06:40 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tartan Hammers

Hi all,

Managed to pick up a twin hammers kit on the cheap, so figured, why the hell not. Since this kit has been out for ages, I won't bother you with a full build log, but instead take you right to the end result.

After a load of fun building the kit, (it's my second car, after the SCX-10-2) we have a roller

Also my second paint job ever, pretty pleased with the result (you can guess where the name of the build comes from).

And here's the end result

Was good fun building this, now to get it dirty
IVIaarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Tartan Hammers

Well, that was fun. Took it out for a testdrive, bashed it around a bit, and all of a sudden a horrible noise from the gearbox. Thought it had slipped out of gear (had to make a shifter setup since I don't have end point adjustment for my third channel. Went home, opened it up, and found this:

At least it's a cheap fix

Here's my shifter setup

Old 10-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Second run after I fixed the destroyed spur gear. Took it out racing and bashing a bit around a construction site. Almost instantly blew out the shifting servo (apparently my shifting setup isn't perfect yet), which shorted out everything. After cutting the wires from the servo (it was locked in 2nd gear, no movement in the servo at all), en applying the oldest help-desk trick in the book ("did you try turning it off and back on again"), the car was good to go again.

Had some great fun racing around in the dirt and did some jumps. No other problems today, I think it's officially broken in now

Just noticed though that the first lipo that I had in the car had dropped to 3,0V / cell, and is having trouble charging now. The second pack I ran through it is ok. Guess the servo burning up gave the first lipo a kick in the nuts.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Time for the first big mod.

I've been looking around the forum and saw some ideas I liked, especially changing the front suspension setup making room for the battery where the old front springs used to be, and being able to stick the rear tire in the cage. After doing some CAD (cardboard aided design), and a prototype in Styrene (which wasn't strong enough), I went with some aluminium plate and profile and made some measurements.

Then the first cuts, while still doublechecking measurements and changing stuff slightly.

And some testfits.

Once I was happy with the basics, it was time to add some of the profiles for strenght.
First I stuck them in place with some CA glue

Then riveted them in and did some more cutting and filing.

Some testfitting and little changes later, I also noticed that after cutting the cage a big so that the hood could open, I could close it again with some bodypins. These ones are way too big, but work for now.

I managed to source some SCX10 shock hoops from a friend (thanks Wes), so went on to attach those.

With the hood open and the shocks attached.

And with the hood closed. These shocks are way too firm. I'll see if I can swap around the springs or just go with different shocks altogether.

And the car in it's new incarnation. I'm really liking the looks of it now. Looking forward to taking it out and giving it a good shakedown.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:51 PM   #5

As far as your 1 lipo you ran down to low, try charging it for about 30 sec in nimh mode on your charger it lie giving it the paddles when your heart stops, works 90% of the time.
Jeff Jenkins sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:37 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Yeh, I got the lipo working again, but I think it puffed up some, since the hard case seems to be under a bit of pressure. Not sure if I dare to use it again
Old 11-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Got some old SCX10 shocks from a friend since the ones I had were too firm. Attached a small piece of rubber hose on the inside to limit downtravel. The suspension felt a lot better after that, but it was sitting a bit too high, and wasn't entirely happy with the geometry, so I added some more aluminium plate to my tray, and mounted the shock hoops a bit higher. Really happy with how it sits now (dogbones no longer at risk of popping out), and also means the battery is completely shielded from water and mud.

Last edited by IVIaarten; 11-28-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

That's a really cool mod. Nice work!
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:33 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Nice idea. Might pay to find some cheap alloy shock hoops on ebay.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
honchojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:58 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by honchojoe View Post
Nice idea. Might pay to find some cheap alloy shock hoops on ebay.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I'll see how these hold up for now (no better price than free ).

Removed my smoked shift servo from the rig for now.. the controller board got fried. Locked the gearbox in high gear for now, think I might swap it over to just a manual switch, since I will mostly be running this rig high speed, but would still like the flexibility to crawl when I want to. Also mounted the power switch in the front now to make it easily accessible, and added some dense foam to hold the lipo in place. Hoping to give it a good shakedown again soon.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:34 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Shakedown time!

The mods held up perfectly. Don't get too much time out of my 1500mah lipo's when ripping it up, but it's great fun.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Just for fun, stretching the 1.9 super swampers over some over the top 2.2 rims.
Not sure if it looks bad-ass or ass-bad yet... but it does have a certain something

Old 07-16-2017, 11:01 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Had a great bashing session with Wes today. Loads of carnage, but most stuff could be bent back into shape

The aftermath... front looking less than stellar

Old 07-17-2017, 12:26 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

It was fun.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GEM-702L met Tapatalk
WesleyRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:12 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Stuck some 2.2 flatirons on the TH. They're only a bit bigger in diameter, but quite a bit wider. Love the look myself.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:52 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVIaarten View Post
Stuck some 2.2 flatirons on the TH. They're only a bit bigger in diameter, but quite a bit wider. Love the look myself.

I've got the same ones on mine. They are a good size for this truck. They are a little soft for high speed stuff though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Damatheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:24 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damatheus View Post
I've got the same ones on mine. They are a good size for this truck. They are a little soft for high speed stuff though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

They work well enough, although, they give even more grip on fast corners

Took it for another spin tonight.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Took the truck out to Belgium for the WTT event.

Here’s some pictures:

Tartan Hammers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My take on a Hammers... 89redranger Vaterra Twin Hammers 85 10-19-2016 08:45 PM
Twin hammers (sort of tartan) panels IVIaarten Paint and Body 2 09-23-2016 09:26 AM
Twin Hammers cage on SCX chassis bouncer conversion aka Bounce Hammers! mce076 1.9 Scale Rigs 36 07-25-2015 02:16 AM
My Twin Hammers: "Parallel Hammers" z50king Vaterra Twin Hammers 19 01-21-2014 12:07 PM
My Red Sawback with Tartan interior and Headlight Buckets crockey G-Made Sawback 8 12-27-2013 08:36 PM