Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: my WL k949 Twin Hammer clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2017, 04:50 AM   #1

Default my WL k949 Twin Hammer clone

Hi,

Just like to share some of the stuff I was doing on my Twin Hammer clone and get some advise.

Sorry for the quality of the photo. :P

Firstly, I installed a kimbrough small servo saver for the shift servo.

I used a 2S shortly pack and mount the ESC on the battery tray.

Since I am playing it as a backyard buggy, I am using an old Tamiya Super Stock 23T TZ for the motor. Gear at 32 / 81 ; Pinion / Spur.

I replaced the slipper with the Kimbrough Team Associated RC10B4 48pitch Slipper. It is easy to source for AE slipper spur than others.

Please comment, advise.

Last edited by ongbenghui; 01-07-2017 at 08:00 AM.
ongbenghui is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2017, 05:08 AM   #2

Default Re: my WL k949 Twin Hammer clone

To add...

I opt to use the cheaper PowerHD 3688HB servo, instead of 3688MG.
I reckon gear shifting doesn't need the extra speed nor metal gear.

This is a clearer view of the kimbrough white servo saver. Simple mod by drilling the servo saver to 3mm hole, and reposition the ball joint.

By the way, the shift servo is the right size that fit nicely to the servo mount.

The steering servo of choice is PowerHD WP-23KG. Again, with a Kimbrough medium black servo saver. I think the black servo saver is a little too light with steering response. I will probably look for a stiffer servo saver to replace the kimbrough.

I am using an Alloy Steering Rack. Initially, it does create some amount of binding with some sand. (I was playing on a beach). By spraying it with some amount of silicon oil spray seems to solve the problem.

But again, I am still look forward for another bashing by the beach side to see if it really fix the binding problem.

As you can see, I am quite a fan of Kimbrough RC product.

Last edited by ongbenghui; 01-06-2017 at 05:14 AM.
ongbenghui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:45 AM   #3

Default Re: my WL k949 Twin Hammer clone

I use the alloy steering part too, but don´t fix anything........ spray with silicon can be worst... silicon + dirt .........
Actually a good solution is replace the system with a "bellcrank" or something like that.... And use an aftermarket front shock tower, but is expensive and over valued, if you think is just an allum plate + some holes.
I´m gonna try to made one soon, already got the materials and have a "bellcrank" system.
Adakar is offline   Reply With Quote

my WL k949 Twin Hammer clone - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twin Hammers clone Brake Weight Non Crawler RC's 60 01-20-2018 04:42 AM
My upgraded Clone Hammers (WlToys K949) luminova11 Vaterra Twin Hammers 41 06-06-2017 01:24 AM
Twin Hammers Clone - WLtoys k949 - cheap build project danvincent999 Vaterra Twin Hammers 6 03-28-2017 02:49 AM
Bought a 2nd Twin a Hammers (clone) Rob L Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 03-26-2016 03:49 PM