Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: New Twin Hammers Owner - Question about noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #1

Default New Twin Hammers Owner - Question about noise

Newbie here. I bought 3 RC's and received them all last week. A Traxxas Slash 2wd Courtney Force, Vaterra Twin Hammers V2 RTR, and an Axial SCX10 Deadbolt.

Running the three RCs together, the SCX10 is practically a stealth-mode rig. You can barely hear the motor/esc/drivetrain. The Slash is pretty close, just slightly louder. In comparison, the Twin Hammers sounds like a bag of angry bees swarming a lawnmower.

From all the videos I've seen, it seems the TH's ESC always makes that annoying whining sound. But I never really paid any attention to the sound the gears make until hearing just how quiet the other two cars are.

Is this normal for the TH gears to be that loud? I took the motor/transmission out last night and popped the case open and couldn't see any signs of damage. Upon closing the case, I noticed it was even louder than before (very rattly sounding). Slightly loosening the screws eliminated the rattling.

Oh yeah, there was no grease inside the transmission. Is this normal?
particle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New Twin Hammers Owner - Question about noise

VTH transmissions are said to be noisy. Mine, like yours, sounds very angry compared to my wraith and scx10
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

If your a hammer is a RTR chances are there is no lube in it. They say you do not need it.
Twin hammer trans is louder as well, more gears more noise.
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Irie View Post
If your a hammer is a RTR chances are there is no lube in it. They say you do not need it.
So should I open it back up and put some grease in there? If so, any suggestions on what grease to use? I do have some white lithium grease on-hand.
particle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
So should I open it back up and put some grease in there? If so, any suggestions on what grease to use? I do have some white lithium grease on-hand.
I would use the stickiest stuff you can find, I use molybdenum with Amsol because I have it and it is quite sticky. Anything would be better than how much they come with, in my experience.
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
Is this normal for the TH gears to be that loud? I took the motor/transmission out last night and popped the case open and couldn't see any signs of damage. Upon closing the case, I noticed it was even louder than before (very rattly sounding). Slightly loosening the screws eliminated the rattling.

Oh yeah, there was no grease inside the transmission. Is this normal?
As you've found, tighten the tranny case screws snug, but not too tight. Lube the gears with something good and sticky, Lucas Red and Tacky grease is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Irie View Post
I would use the stickiest stuff you can find, I use molybdenum with Amsol because I have it and it is quite sticky. Anything would be better than how much they come with, in my experience.
The RTRs benefit from a bit more grease than they seem to come with ime.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:12 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I don't want to send the thread on a tangent but just on the issue of noise, has anyone compared the steel gear noise with plastic? Is one quieter than the other or about the same?
SkiSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

New Twin Hammers Owner - Question about noise - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Twin Hammers owner.... Apx2Apx Vaterra Twin Hammers 20 01-13-2017 11:48 AM
Twin hammers gearing question jDtheBEAR Vaterra Twin Hammers 2 08-01-2016 07:28 AM
New Twin Hammers owner needs help w/must have upgrades omenwolf Vaterra Twin Hammers 14 05-19-2014 07:38 PM
twin hammers pinion size question macjr84 Vaterra Twin Hammers 2 05-07-2014 02:01 PM
Twin hammers screw question Andyking Vaterra Twin Hammers 1 04-29-2014 09:46 AM