Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Scorched Parts TH gets gmade RSD shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Default Scorched Parts TH gets gmade RSD shocks

As soon as i saw the new gmade rsd shocks, i had to get a set for the TH.
With great scale appearance, 80mm length, 'best in class' travel of 21mm and presumably the gmade quality i've had from their XD shocks, i was pretty excited.
Availabilty is still a bit of an issue with these, so i had to order them direct from Korea via Junfac. They didn't take very long to turn up, and no import tax either.

The assembly and quality of parts is basically the same as their XD shocks, but with an aluminium seal cartridge. Hopefully this means they will last and hold oil just as well.
The spring rate feels about right for the setup i have, and will suit other similar semi-upright conversions. The stock damping is a disappointment - there isn't any. Even with the supplied 2 hole pistons, there is no where near enough damping. Like the King shocks i have, they are going to need some really thick oil to work.
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Scorched Parts TH gets gmade RSD shocks

Nice, those look a lot like Losi race buggy shocks but shorter and the metal seal cartridge, like to hear how they hold up. I've still got a couple sets of old Losi hard coated and threaded shocks.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Look great, already had plans to buy that suspension mount and bellcrank. How do they work, do you notice a better handling?
WesleyRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

The rsd's perform really well. Very happy with them. The best thing about them is the cool look though.
I've not given them a huge amount of use whilst I've been concentrating on my D90 / scx10ii build, but so far they seem ok. They are about on par with my rc4wd king shocks, but come with the correct springs as std.
The rsd stock damping is way off (like the kings), no way near strong enough for those springs.
I'm currently running my own 3d printed damper piston with the supplied oil. With a little more tuning, i'll have the setup spot on.

Any performance benefit over the stock vaterra setup will be slight. The stock vaterra setup has the spring rate and damping set up really well and perfect use of the available travel. The only downsides are the sticktion in the bell crank links (suspension, not steering) and maybe the very short stroke. The stock shocks are really good quality too. A hard act to follow!
The real performance benefit of the Scorched Parts setup (appart from bell crank steering) comes from re-locating the battery. This makes a big difference!

Last edited by Dbx; 06-12-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:28 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Think these would work with the gcm setup?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:36 AM   #6
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

They should be ok(ish)
Going from memory, the ideal GCM shock travel that I measured was something like 58-83mm... I posted the exact measured size somewhere, but can't find the post.
Assuming I have the above measurement right, the RSD's will give you as much usable travel as the recommended Axial 90mm (which need internal spacers) and more travel than any of the other options.
I'd anticipate that the springing will be too firm. The damping may be ok with lighter springs depending on individual taste.

Scorched Parts TH gets gmade RSD shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gmade RSD Suspension? malickie Axial SCX10 II 134 09-18-2018 06:33 AM