Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Wider front end question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Wider front end question.

no problem, id have to give codyboy the credit as i first saw the conversion on his, just got lucky on facebook and saw the xo-1 shafts. when you get those shafts you will have to retain the barrel out of the twins cvd and use the retaining spring from the stock hammers to hold the drive pin in place. my cvd pins were upgraded sir irie ones on one side and cut music wire on the other, havent had a broken problem with either ( another plus to the silly putty) you do have to trim a small amount of material off the b5 arms at the hinge pin side of the chassis i did mine with a dremel and cut off wheel its not much and could be done with a flat file if need be.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
snowman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman13 View Post
no problem, id have to give codyboy the credit as i first saw the conversion on his, just got lucky on facebook and saw the xo-1 shafts. when you get those shafts you will have to retain the barrel out of the twins cvd and use the retaining spring from the stock hammers to hold the drive pin in place. my cvd pins were upgraded sir irie ones on one side and cut music wire on the other, havent had a broken problem with either ( another plus to the silly putty) you do have to trim a small amount of material off the b5 arms at the hinge pin side of the chassis i did mine with a dremel and cut off wheel its not much and could be done with a flat file if need be.

would it be possible to just run the xo-1 shafts all the way out through the knuckle if you go with larger ID bearings in the knuckle, eliminating the need to use the twin hammers output shaft? I understand that means drilling out the hex hub for a 6mm shaft but that is easy.

either way i'll find out when the parts arrive!
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
would it be possible to just run the xo-1 shafts all the way out through the knuckle if you go with larger ID bearings in the knuckle, eliminating the need to use the twin hammers output shaft? I understand that means drilling out the hex hub for a 6mm shaft but that is easy.

i dont know, im sure anything is possible but without looking at it i believe the xo-1 stub shafts are too large in diameter not only to fit in the knuckle but to turn in the knuckle and hub themselves, sounds like something the talented maxbonev would produce or have produced with his purespider stuff

Old 02-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman13 View Post
i dont know, im sure anything is possible but without looking at it i believe the xo-1 stub shafts are too large in diameter not only to fit in the knuckle but to turn in the knuckle and hub themselves, sounds like something the talented maxbonev would produce or have produced with his purespider stuff

good point. if they are too big easy enough to swap the parts with the stock cvd.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:14 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Got most of the parts in (stupid me only ordered on xo-1 driveshaft!) and did the mod today. More work than I expected. I'll get some pics up later.
First off the hinge pin hole was bigger than the stock twin hammers pin and had way too much slop. My fix was to drill out the ends of the arms and press fit some knuckle bushings in, which got rig of all the slop.
Next was getting the screw pins in the end of the arms for the c-hubs. After drilling them and installing the brass inserts they were not lined up straight and caused binding with the c-hubs. This took a long time of putting in screws so I could pry the brass inserts slightly so the screw pins would be parallel. I got it done but it still isn't as free moving as I like.
The baja rey diff outputs dropped right in and I thought it would perfect until I slid on the xo-1 driveshaft. The diff output was too long and I couldn't get the pin holes to align. Plus the xo-1 pin hole was set back enough even if the diff output was shorter the holes wouldn't align. So out came the dremel with cutoff blade. Trimmed down the diff output shaft and the end of the xo-1 driveshafts. Holes lined up.
But, the hole is smaller than the pin screw that goes through the xo-1 driveshaft. I could have drilled the output but I thought that would weaken it too much. So I put the screw pins in the drill press and used a file to reduce their diameter. That worked out.
Then I assembled everything and found that the male shaft was too long and bottomed out limiting upward travel. Dremel to the rescue again. Trimmed down the male shaft about a quarter of an inch.

So, after all this it is working great. Lots of travel, so much my existing shocks are too short.

It was a lot of work but in the end I'm happy. Just need the weather to clear so I can test it out. Oh yeah, and get the other driveshaft!
Old 02-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Some pics.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

I'm digging it, didn't think about the pin idea with bushings that looks nice. I didn't have to trim my xo-1 shafts, I know there are two part numbers is one longer then the other do we know? Have fun falling in love with the hammers all over again I was almost ready to scrap mine when I did this.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post

I would love to see if someone can do this to what already seems like a great mod. I wonder if this was done and if you did not use the Twin Hammer shaft...if you would also get a better turning radius without being limited to the Hammer CVD's binding at tight angles?
Stan3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di_Spencer View Post

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Hey guys, I'm Oliver from france. My "school" english is pretty bad, sorry for that... I am going to try to make the modification but i have some questions... is it traxxas 6852R or 6851R will work ? I read that only changed is the Stub Axle (5mm against 6mm for the X0-1) 6852R is less expensive... Do you know which piece as show on this picture (on the right, metal universal joint) ?
And many thanks for this tip !
oli45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

This picture doesn't have anything from traxxas on it. The left portion is a stock vaterra cvd that is modified and the right portion is the sliding joint from an SDI driveshaft.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #31

Thank you very much for your very fast answer. I am going to try to make the same thing...
oli45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:51 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Wow, very nice Jebster, more updates pics and testing please! Thanks to Ernie for info and pics too!

Last edited by Natedog; 03-06-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:35 PM   #33

I copied codyboy's work to get front mip and b4 rear arms. Its a bit wider than stock but it improves a lot the potential and seems bombproof. Really nice and worthy

Last edited by Tornadolero; 03-18-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Tornadolero is offline   Reply With Quote

Wider front end question. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti front end question kili Axial Yeti 9 10-19-2014 06:54 AM
EXO front end question, gunder463 General Crawlers 3 09-01-2014 06:55 PM
New Wraith RTR owner--Front End Question soapman72 Axial Wraith 9 06-06-2012 10:19 AM