Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Stuck already on page 3 !!!! Need a bit of help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2017, 06:23 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Stuck already on page 3 !!!! Need a bit of help please

So the kit arrived and iv started and got to the second black shaft and there a small pin that has to be inserted through the shaft is it as simple as tapping though the hole or is there a special tool ??? I'm thinking of clamping the pin in the vice and tapping the shaft onto it with my hammer ? Advice needed desperately lol !!! Can't believe I'm stuck already lol
willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2017, 11:16 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Stuck already on page 3 !!!! Need a bit of help please

Did you figure this out? Looking at page 3 in the kit manual leads me to conclude that your plan for the vise and hammer method is what I would try first.

Hopefully that gets it solved, but if not, let us know.

Start with light taps, progressing into heavier blows until the pin goes in, and using an appropriately sized punch would be ideal.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:21 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Iv come to the conclusion that the pin is definitely the wrong size , I'm a carpenter by trade and have no problem smashing a 6 inch nail through solid oak but a 5mm x 1.5mm chrome pin almost broke me lol ��
The pin supports a gear and then another gear on top , with an e clip capturing the gears at both ends of the shaft , so I measure the length between the e-clip slots on the shaft and then measure the length of the 2 gears with the pin in slot at the bottom of the gear and this is proud by exactly half its width adding length to the "stack" of the gears !! This is then too long to fit in between the 2 e-clips on the shaft ,
Thanks for replying Fallen can you remember if this pin was sat flush or proud of the surface on the gear ?
Old 02-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Having never built the kit transmission, this question would best be answered by someone who did.

Another build option though...

Drill a 2mm hole into a wood block. Clamp the shaft, pin (aligned with the hole) and wood block together in your vise in such a way that your drilled 2mm hole aligns with the hole in the shaft. Then use the "worm gear" action of closing the vise to drive the pin into and through the shaft.

This is an option if more force is your solution. If the problem is incorrect pin size, then the solution is obviously not more force.

Hopefully someone who built the kit transmission can chime in here and give you the answer.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I built my kit in December without issue. The only thing I had trouble with honestly was that after I put the transmission together I had a small e clip left over. I tore it apart twice thinking I missed something but couldn't figure it out. The next morning I brought it up to a friend that had built the kit too and he also had the same e clip left over. Anyhow, I think has worked great with no issues so it truly must be a spare.

On to your issue, since I don't recall any pin issue I would say gat you either are doing it wrong or there is a wrong part included. Can you post a pic?
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:26 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thank you again for your feedback chaps , yeah it's definitely too big , I did try to put a small leading edge on the pin but it's so hard it didn't touch it lol that was in my battery drill on a diamond sharpening stone
I'll try and get some pics up to see the hole in question
Old 02-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

http://imgur@willyg1981Ok iv returned to my original idea of the drill and it has worked to an extent but now iv got it stuck it's eleven o'clock at night and I'm smashing it with a hammer as it is going in now after about 30 mins of constant linishing on my homemade laith and slightly more coarse diamond stone , so now it fits snug in the gear housing but it's seriously stuck now
Old 02-16-2017, 07:51 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

This is the offending article iv managed to get through to horizon hobby and there sending me another bag a-3 from Germany tho :( so a good week till I'll see that here it is tho through the magic of tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

As you can see I'm almost there but just needs a fraction more skimming which I'll try and get it back out and skim a bit more off lol it sits in the gear housing sweet now , which made me think it was small enough for a fit

Old 02-16-2017, 02:08 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for pics, are the other holes in shafts same size? Other pins?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

No the pin used for rear driveshaft assembly is thinner by the looks but longer about 8mm maybe , iv managed to reduce it enough to get it in now and now I'm on the driveshaft assembly coincidentally ;)
Old 02-16-2017, 02:17 PM   #12

No special tool just a vice and hammer. But be careful not to bend the pin

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
ryan_zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #13

I had no issues with the offending pin... the transmission went together rather easy...

Did you have any issues building your front diff... (if you built it as open)???
Not tellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I'm just about to start building it now , I had a bit of an issue centring the shift servo powering it up so I nabbed a connector of my daughters lunch box lol
It's 2:20am and I'm really enjoying the build and iv decided I'm not going to bed yet and build the from diff

Old 02-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Did everyone use the black grease for the front diff or did you source some more specific 4x4 front diff grease ?

Old 02-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #16

I used 500k diff fluid... that's what everyone is using... the grease will most likley make it a locker or more so than oil...

I am having issues with mine not being open... I even put in shock oil to see if the 500k was causing my issue...
Not tellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Thanks not tellin 500k it is !

Old 02-16-2017, 08:01 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Something is up, wrong pin, shaft machined incorrectly something. I have messed with many and that pin is no more than a friction fit, maybe pliers needed at most.

Also wanted to add. I would suggest 1 million fluid in the front.
It is a bit tight at first but once you have a few batteries run through, I prefer it to 500k.

Last edited by Sr.Irie; 02-16-2017 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Diff fluid
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

When I was putting the front diff together the small locking pins I front of the brass shim looked very familiar!! I recon there'd been some mix up in the factory and it was pin instead of the right one !! It's done now anyway but now I'm stuck again at programming the electrics ,
1st ) iv got a hpi tf-45 and receiver combo
And castle sidewinder 3 combo and getting a bit confused as to where things go,
it shows here in this instruction but my battery is linked to the esc so does this connector (not sure what the exact terminology is ) go in the throttle slot or the battery ???
2nd ) is the receiver keeps slipping into failsafe mode almost immediately after powering up , this only happens when it's lost signal from trans or battery charge is low but the battery is just been charged , could it be my messy connectors ??

Old 02-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

esc plugs into channel 2. Put that Deans connector on your esc and don't use that adapter.

Your esc might be acting up cause it needs to be calibrated or possibly your receiver isn't bound to the radio?
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote

Stuck already on page 3 !!!! Need a bit of help please - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Kit Build - Page by Page Video Series. FastEddy Axial Wraith 60 06-09-2015 10:11 AM
Axial Yeti Page by Page Video Build from FastEddyBearings.com FastEddy Axial Yeti 5 12-22-2014 09:17 AM
EXO Video Series: Build the EXO Page by page FastEddy Non Crawler RC's 14 05-08-2012 09:45 AM
SCX10 Honcho Video Build. Page By Page (Great For the New People) FastEddy Axial SCX-10 33 04-22-2011 06:47 PM
A TJ stuck... stuck really bad. K_B Chit Chat 15 03-16-2007 07:21 AM