Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Twin Hammers SCX10 Trans Mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Twin Hammers SCX10 Trans Mod

I am planning on doing the SCX10 trans mod using the Shapeways mount. What I need help with is the front driveline from trans to the front diff.

I will be using the LockedUpRC OT outdrives cause I love pin through... Which MIP combo will work length-wise?

I have searched and searched and have found zero or useless info.

I am somewhat under the gun cause I need to get it ready for a race in 3.5 weeks.

Any assistance would be outstanding.

Thank you,
J
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Twin Hammers SCX10 Trans Mod

That I know of, there is no off-the-shelf MIP options that will fit. When I designed and ran the mount in my own personal car I used a cut down SDI 5mm-5mm propeller shaft cut to length. I was using through-hole style outputs on my trans and a single long set screw never gave me an issue. The small diameter of the SDI shafts also worked better with the mount than anything else I tried.

I will be building a new car soon, once again using my mount, and think I'll opt to extend a stock TH front driveshaft this time. My peronal goal with the trans swap was to drop rotating mass and parasitic drag. It just never made sense to me to go through all that work and then use giant driveshafts.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
That I know of, there is no off-the-shelf MIP options that will fit. When I designed and ran the mount in my own personal car I used a cut down SDI 5mm-5mm propeller shaft cut to length. I was using through-hole style outputs on my trans and a single long set screw never gave me an issue. The small diameter of the SDI shafts also worked better with the mount than anything else I tried.

I will be building a new car soon, once again using my mount, and think I'll opt to extend a stock TH front driveshaft this time. My peronal goal with the trans swap was to drop rotating mass and parasitic drag. It just never made sense to me to go through all that work and then use giant driveshafts.

I am running this in U4 with a 3150KV brushless on 3S. Will that shaft hold up you think?

If so, do you have a part number?

Thank you very very much,
J
Old 03-27-2017, 10:28 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I haven't run one but I have handled them and they seem to be made very well. The company that makes them is in Spain. Since you are trying to get ready for a race I don't think shipping from Spain will be quick enough and it is very expensive. Send a message to classiccutcustoms, he is the only US distributor of the shafts.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Nice setup, but what about setting up stock TH tranny as single speed (like Ascender RTR) and grind teeth off metal gears that are not engaged so as to reduce rotational mass slightly? TH tranny has much tighter tolerances and is therefore nicer than any Axial tranny I've used.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The extra metal that would still be left is still additional rotating mass.

Plus I don't have a lathe to take off the teeth and risk creating too much of an imbalance.

I currently have removed the lowspeed gears and shimmed out using collars and bearings.

The weight difference between it and the SCX10 trans is substantial. Plus it opens up more options for steel 32p spir gears.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2017, 08:40 PM   #7
RCC Addict

^What he said. Lol.

The sloppy tolerances in an Axial trans are only partially due to the case. The stock plastic gears are about 90% of the issue. Use quality steel gears and loctite the slipper and top gear pins in and things get tightened right up quickly. A little shimming will then rid the trans of any longitudinal play in any of the shafts.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:44 PM   #8
RCC Addict

And let's not forget the crazy amount of slop in the gears/shift dog in the TH trans. The ONLY way to get rid of that is to use an Ascender single speed gear set, which is like being stuck in low gear.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:26 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'm going to be using steel gears in the trans and it is a VP trans case so it should all be nice and slop-free

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Twin Hammers SCX10 Trans Mod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Default Anyone with a Blue monkey front tower mod for vaterra twin hammers? novaris Vaterra Twin Hammers 3 07-29-2015 10:16 AM