Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Twin hammers front cv problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2017, 02:40 PM   #1

Exclamation Twin hammers front cv problems

Hoping someone can shed some light on this. The front CV connection to the outrunner axle cup on my TH never stays in place. It is almost like the CV shaft is too short to stay firmly seated in the cup as it rotates. Are there longer CV shafts available or shafts from another model that would work better? Thank you.
archcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Twin hammers front cv problems

The camber links may be slightly too long or they've striped from the plastic rod ends and after market vertical suspension which is too long can cause this ! 65mm I think are max from hole to hole hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Very, very common issue. Some folks say fit longer Team Associated shafts, but having spent a good deal of time looking at and measuring the TH front end, (i've re-modelled the whole lot on my computer) I'd highly recommend just adjusting the suspension tie rod inwards to reduce how far down the suspension can droop. If that didn't work, i'd put a washer under the shock piston to limit down travel further.
Check out this link (more for people who have modded their suspension, but the same issue)
Twin Hammers front suspension setup
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbx View Post
Very, very common issue. Some folks say fit longer Team Associated shafts, but having spent a good deal of time looking at and measuring the TH front end, (i've re-modelled the whole lot on my computer) I'd highly recommend just adjusting the suspension tie rod inwards to reduce how far down the suspension can droop. If that didn't work, i'd put a washer under the shock piston to limit down travel further.
Check out this link (more for people who have modded their suspension, but the same issue)
Twin Hammers front suspension setup
This is what I did to mine.. at first I installed washers inside the suspension shaft. And then junked the idea and proceeded to adjusting the rodends instead.

It lowered the car, but it gave a much better rotation on the front CVs

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
danvincent999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for your help. I'd like to be able to enjoy this thing but this CV thing has been a real pain.
archcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

The WL Toys shafts for the K949 (Hammer clone) are slightly longer two because the clone have more down travel.
Traildriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildriver View Post
The WL Toys shafts for the K949 (Hammer clone) are slightly longer two because the clone have more down travel.
The problem comes on the up travel. A longer shaft will bottom the dog bone before full travel. This will put a huge end load through the shaft that could destroy the cvd and damage the bearings. Better to just set the thing up like Vaterra intended.
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:56 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I had the same problem with my driver's side popping out. I shortened the links ever so slightly, which kept it from popping out again. I ran it hard testing after that and it behaved like a charm. Made me fall in love with my TH all over again. I love my Bombers too, but for 1.9 rigs, I would highly recommend it. Too bad they discontinued it.
Stoovey2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Twin hammers front cv problems - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twin Hammers front suspension setup Dbx Vaterra Twin Hammers 4 08-15-2017 09:25 AM
front locker for twin hammers in! isac Arizona 6 03-09-2013 03:01 PM