Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Need to lock my front diff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2017, 07:26 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Need to lock my front diff

I was wanting to go crawling tomorrow morning, and really wanted to lock the front diff. I've decided I want to permanently lock it for crawling, but I had a few questions. First off, how bad does it negatively affect high speed bashing? Does it make it harder to control? Or is it ok? I still do a little bashing around my yard, but I've found the open diff to be frustrating at best on my favorite crawl trail. So now to my main question. How bad of an idea would it be to just fill the diff with hot glue? I could buy a locker, but like I said, I want to crawl in the morning and I'm being impatient. So can anyone talk me down from the hot glue gun? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2017, 12:26 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Need to lock my front diff

Well, I just went ahead and did it. We'll see if any problems arise. I guess I'll let everyone know if it works well.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:42 AM   #3

add some team associated 1.000.000 in mine climb now as a spider without problems
Markos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:35 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I packed mine with Mack's Pillow Soft Silicone Putty Earplugs. Works well and allows a little slip if things get bound up.
jgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:12 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

The hot glue locker worked great in mine for a few months. I only took it out because I wanted the drivetrain protection of an open diff, so I went to Silly Putty instead.

But while the hot glue locker was in, it worked very well. Also, it's fairly easy to remove. It comes out clean, in chunks that you might have to chip out, but it's a fast, easy job.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:20 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
The hot glue locker worked great in mine for a few months. I only took it out because I wanted the drivetrain protection of an open diff, so I went to Silly Putty instead.

But while the hot glue locker was in, it worked very well. Also, it's fairly easy to remove. It comes out clean, in chunks that you might have to chip out, but it's a fast, easy job.
That's good to know. I didn't get a chance to go crawling yet, but plan to try it out tomorrow on my favorite trail. Got it locked, and esc set to crawler mode, should be good to go!
Old 05-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

500K in the front & 1M in the back, (open diff in the back too.) Stiffens the diffs up real nice, but doesn't affect the high speed running the way a full locker will.
Bl-air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:20 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

We'll it was definitely a serious improvement. The Twammers performed better than ever before. It made the trail so much easier to handle. The trail itself goes along the side of the hill in a river canyon. It's only about 1/2ft.-2ft. wide, and 20-40ft. down to the side of the river. Last time out I had to throttle over too many obstacles, and ended up down the hill digging my car out of the poison oak more than once. With the front locked I had so much more low end control it was great. The only thing that sucked were the tires, but I knew that going in. But it's all I had at the time, 1.9 Dirt Graggers. But I did just mount up a set of Axial Rip Saw's so next weekend will be great! I did put together a small video, although it was my first time filming and driving. I found it extremely hard to watch the Twammers, watch the camera, and watch my step. I almost fell down the hill once or twice. Anyway, here's the video, and a pic of my Thug with the new Axial shoes.
Video:

https://youtu.be/llhv7SWrvDI

Pic:
Attached Images

Need to lock my front diff - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front Diff Semi Lock options? Sactown_Summit Axial Yeti 10 10-17-2014 11:21 PM
Another Front Diff Lock monkeyracing Tamiya XC/CC01 18 04-27-2012 07:03 PM
How to lock front diff? AKbash57 Tamiya XC/CC01 9 02-07-2012 08:56 PM
tamiya diff lock and shaft front or rear? cydog510 Tamiya CR-01 4 03-29-2011 11:24 AM
how to keep the front diff lock? theclimber Venom Creeper 3 08-25-2010 08:20 PM