Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: bilinvic's Twin Hammers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2017, 12:11 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: bilinvic's Twin Hammers

Thanxs BumpyRoad. The battery is located up forward on the GCM plate and yes, the chassis was cut to facilitate a forward flipping hood for quick and easy battery changes.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2017, 01:26 AM   #42

Thanks for the quick response Bill!
That seems to be one of the advantages of the GCM plate over the Scorched Parts shock tower (which I think is great, btw), especially if you want to have the interior installed.
BumpyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:47 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Santa was good to my Twin Hammers this year!

Stout RC Solutions Twin Hammers to Axial transmission adapter;
Axial SCX10 transmission set;
Incision SCX10 Tranmssion Gear set;
Hot Racing 80mm Limiti Straps; and
Vaterra TH Body/Interior set.

The stock Vaterra trans is too noisy for my liking and because I run brushless sensored electronics, I really don't need the 2-speed option. I got rid of that extra bulk and went with the SCX10 trans with 32p gears (the 48p Vaterra pinion and spur were sure to die one day!) The Stout RC Solutions 3D printed adapter is perfect, no issues whatsoever. A custom length front driveshaft is required and I used a modified Traxxas TRX4 front driveshaft; both splined female ends were cut shorter and the double male splined middle section was also cut shorter. I had to grind (Dremel) the metal step off on the forward driveshaft output drive in order to get the grub screws aligned with the flat sections on the front differential pinion output.

I went 12t / 56t for the pinion and spur combined with the CC 1410 Sensored 3800kV motor.

I still have to get the interior painted.

TH_072

TH_070

TH_071

TH_069

TH_068

TH_067

TH_066

TH_065

TH_064

TH_063
Old 12-26-2017, 12:18 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Looks great. Your TH is what made me pick up the TH Kit recently.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:17 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Today's New Years Day crawl with the SCX10 transmission swap was a success....very quiet now. Just when I think this rig can't get any better, it just keeps getting over-the-top great!!!

After today's run, I changed out the SLW hubs from .350 to .475 just to get a little more stability on the extreme off-camber and side-hilling situations.

I still have to get the interior painted up now.

I have been gradually running this Twin Hammers harder and harder because when I first got it, I was under the impression these machines were a little fragile and so far, not one single breakdown and/or failure (yes, I'm knocking on wood!). I really have some confidence in running this rig harder now, for example; much more throttle when bouncing and going over rough rocky terrain. The semi-locked front diff works phenomenally.

TH_077

TH_073

TH_074

TH_075

TH_078

TH_076

Last edited by bilinvic; 01-01-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:45 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

The twin hammers looks great. I'm working on some shapeways printed knuckles that fit rcbros knuckle weights and use a screw pin style kingpin instead of setscrew type. Do you think that is something the twh could use? Do you think that would be a good upgrade?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:51 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

So much inspiration. I'll be happy to get my front upright shocks squared away and some tires with better foams on. I can't decide whether to cut the rear off like you did or run a spare. Have you noticed any substantial advantage to not running the spare as well as moving the battery forward? Bashing about and crawling?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

As far as extra front weight, mine definitely doesn't need it and I'm normally the first one that would be throwing knuckle weights on. I'm using Vanquish knuckles and have no issues using the set-screw king pin design. I would be interested in seeing what you come up with, but I personally don't think an improvement / upgrade is needed in this area.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
So much inspiration. I'll be happy to get my front upright shocks squared away and some tires with better foams on. I can't decide whether to cut the rear off like you did or run a spare. Have you noticed any substantial advantage to not running the spare as well as moving the battery forward? Bashing about and crawling?
Thanxs! I don't bash with my TH although I do "bounce" quite a bit; that being said, I've never run with a spare or with the battery in the stock rear location so I can't really comment. I will say that the front/rear balance on my TW is really optimized for crawling.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:06 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

I still have the stock electronics in it and have maybe 1/2 a pack through it before fall semester started winding down and the holidays hit. Having 3 kids in school at 3 separate campuses as well working on the road makes modding and driving next to impossible during these times of the year.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:36 PM   #51

I want to say tks... I got the TH when it first came out and wasn't impressed with it's initial performance. I think it had reciever or esc issues so it went into a bin with my intention to fix it. Fast forward 4 or so years, I see your post and now there is an order to shapeways, amain and rpp. Looking forward to setting this thing up and trying it out. Tks again for the great thread!
tomasw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #52
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasw1 View Post
I want to say tks... I got the TH when it first came out and wasn't impressed with it's initial performance. I think it had reciever or esc issues so it went into a bin with my intention to fix it. Fast forward 4 or so years, I see your post and now there is an order to shapeways, amain and rpp. Looking forward to setting this thing up and trying it out. Tks again for the great thread!
I'm digging both of mine out of the trash corner too. Could you make a list of what you ordered? I'd like to replicate bilinvic's to some degree also!!
apextrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:20 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

...an updated build list:

Twin Hammers (based off of the kit version)

Unless otherwise noted, stock TH parts are used.

GCM Front Tower Plate
GCM Rear Axle Truss
Blue Monkey RC Trailing Arms; Yeti length with TRX Revo Links Ends
Vanquish Titanium Upper Rear Links; Wraith length with TRX Revo & Jato Length Link Ends
MIP Rear Driveshaft; Yeti Length
Traxxas TRX4 Modified Front Driveshaft
Scorched Parts (Shapeways) TH/GCM Plate Bell Crank Kit
Traxxas Tie Rods
Vanquish Steering Spindles/Knuckles
Vanquish 15 Degree Castor Blocks
Hot Racing Front Hinge Pin Brace
VTH Rear Sway Bar; Firm
Traxxas 85mm Big Bore Front Shocks w/TRX4 Green Stripe Springs (10wt)(Internal & External Limiters Added)
Stock Rear Shocks w/ Traxxas X-Rings (30wt)(External Limiters Added)
Hot Racing 80mm Limit Straps
Modified Rear Chassis
Axial SCX10 Transmission
Stout RC Solutions (Shapeways) Twin Hammers to Axial Transmission Adapter
Incision SCX10 Transmission Three Gear Set
12t / 56t (32p) Pinion and Spur
Axial 7x55mm Aluminum Posts; 2ea for Rear Chassis Structure
Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro
Castle Creations 1406 3800kV Sensored Motor
Castle Creations 10a BEC
Xpert WR-7701-HV Servo
Spektrum SR310 Rx
Front Diff is Semi-Locked; Racers Edge Diff Locking Putty
Rear Diff is Locked
Lucas Red “n” Tacky #2 Grease
Team KnK SS Hardware
Team KnK Aluminum Spacers
Old 01-05-2018, 06:32 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

The official Sith Lord Hammer!!!

TH_079

TH_080

TH_081
Old 01-05-2018, 07:52 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Is that a Pez head? I was looking at them a while back for use on my Bomber or Wraiths but I went full interiors on my Wraiths and nothing in the Bomber. For my NQD jet boat I used the parts tree skulls from my Yeti. Painting them was a PITA for my meat hands. Ended up using a toothpick and a Q tip.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Yes it is. I saw it while Xmas shopping and bought it for my wife to put it in my stocking!!! lol
Old 01-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #57

With the MIP shaft. Did you get a full Yeti shaft setup or did you already have the TH specific MIP outputs that you just connected the shaft to? They are sold out everywhere and MIP didn't tell me of any that will fit as a replacement. Tks
tomasw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #58
RCC Addict

Love this thread! Picked up a new kit i've been building over the past year and tweaking. Curious though what your full front compression looks like? I've got 85mm Gmade XD front shocks and at full compression barely get the front A-arms parallel to the ground. Looking to get more travel and some 85mm Big Bores with the TRX-4 green springs for my GCM setup
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasw1 View Post
With the MIP shaft. Did you get a full Yeti shaft setup or did you already have the TH specific MIP outputs that you just connected the shaft to? They are sold out everywhere and MIP didn't tell me of any that will fit as a replacement. Tks
Yes, full Yeti MIP driveshaft....just remember though, I'm using Yeti length trailing arms too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richterat83 View Post
Love this thread! Picked up a new kit i've been building over the past year and tweaking. Curious though what your full front compression looks like? I've got 85mm Gmade XD front shocks and at full compression barely get the front A-arms parallel to the ground. Looking to get more travel and some 85mm Big Bores with the TRX-4 green springs for my GCM setup
Thanxs....I'll get some pics for you shortly.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Full droop.....

TH_082

Fully compressed.....

TH_083

bilinvic's Twin Hammers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twin Hammers cage on SCX chassis bouncer conversion aka Bounce Hammers! mce076 1.9 Scale Rigs 36 07-25-2015 02:16 AM
My Twin...Twin Hammers build start sanny632 Vaterra Twin Hammers 8 03-09-2014 12:01 PM
Savage00's Twinny Twin Twin Hammers Savage00 Vaterra Twin Hammers 16 09-19-2013 08:09 PM
Twin Hammers in Twin Cities? 89XJ Minnesota 7 05-06-2013 02:59 PM