Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Is a Tekin Pro4 a bad idea?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2017, 12:35 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Is a Tekin Pro4 a bad idea?

So, I'm in between builds and I have a spare MMP laying around along with a Pro4 3300Kv. Note: This is not an HD, not that that makes a huge difference....

I was browsing around the interwebs and forum to try and figure out what I might want to put them in, and I came up with a Twin Hammers kit. Now, I'm not new to high power systems and how they like to eat parts, it is just that I'm not super familiar with the Twin Hammers and its durability.

Basically, would the drivetrain explode the first time I pulled power? This would be be running 3S 2200's, but I'm not opposed to stepping down to a 2S pack if that would make the motor substantially more survivable.

Also, I usually set my slipper on the safe side, so there will be some give to the transmission, but I just don't want to be replacing gears every other run...
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2017, 01:08 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Is a Tekin Pro4 a bad idea?

I think the RTR comes with plastic gears in the transmission, so that's probably a no-go. Kit comes with metal, and should be able to handle some abuse. Kit is 2 speed though, not sure if you're looking for that.
IVIaarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:34 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Im running a Mamba X and quicrun 10.5t 3300kv sensored on the stock plastic gears and no issue
nedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:50 AM   #4
Slow is the new Fast

I have found the TH very durable. The durability issues I have come across with high power have been

1) the driveshaft set screws fail.

2) a bent steering link.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I run a 4100 kv brushless on 3s in my RTR and have had no driveline issues. Having said that, I run strictly in the dirt where traction is limited. No wheelies in the street and you should be fine.
jgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
Slow is the new Fast

People buy Rock Racers to drive on the street?
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:01 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

As long as you run the metal trans gears, and don't lock the front diff, I bet you'll be fine. If the diff is locked you can expect to break cvd's during violent one-tire-hits-first collisions/awkward landings.

Not that the plastic trans gears are bombproof, but my brothers been running them with a Castle 5700 for almost a year with a very heavy throttle finger without issue.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:04 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I run the Pro4HD 3000kv on 3s in mine, then again I use an all metal geared SCX10 trans...

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'm running a Trinity D4 17.5 on 3s with a scx10 transmission. No issues yet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
wblteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:22 PM   #10

Mine was fine until I locked the front end. It's grenades front CVd's now extremely quickly. Just for that reason I went back to brushed to try to keep it reliable. Before the locker I only hurt a sour gear (it was my fault) and the. I switched up to 32p gears. all depends on your use. Without a locker it's useless for rocks.
Buchhop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchhop2 View Post
Mine was fine until I locked the front end. It's grenades front CVd's now extremely quickly. Just for that reason I went back to brushed to try to keep it reliable. Before the locker I only hurt a sour gear (it was my fault) and the. I switched up to 32p gears. all depends on your use. Without a locker it's useless for rocks.
You should try silly putty. Pretty much a locker until you bind a front wheel and it has just enough give to now blow a cvd

Old 09-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblteen View Post
You should try silly putty. Pretty much a locker until you bind a front wheel and it has just enough give to now blow a cvd

I didn't even think of that. Does it still act like a locked front end in the rocks until bound? All I do with mine is trail and rocks. Mostly rocks. So I just stepped down to a brushed setup to help longevity of parts. I may have to look into the putty.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I didn't even think of that. Does it still act like a locked front end in the rocks until bound? All I do with mine is trail and rocks. Mostly rocks. So I just stepped down to a brushed setup to help longevity of parts. I may have to look into the putty.
I used Mack's Pillow Soft Silicone Putty Earplugs in my front diff. Allows for a little slippage but crawls the rocks well.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrim View Post
I used Mack's Pillow Soft Silicone Putty Earplugs in my front diff. Allows for a little slippage but crawls the rocks well.
Awesome! If the step down to the brushed system instead of the big brushless doesn't solve my problem, I will have to try this. When you applied the putty, do you just install it in the area where the spider gears and cross pins are or in the whole differential? Then bolt it all back together? And is there a specific amount or fill it until you can't put anymore in it?
Old 09-13-2017, 07:19 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Awesome! If the step down to the brushed system instead of the big brushless doesn't solve my problem, I will have to try this. When you applied the putty, do you just install it in the area where the spider gears and cross pins are or in the whole differential? Then bolt it all back together? And is there a specific amount or fill it until you can't put anymore in it?
I removed the spiders, cross shafts and the outside side gear, and packed the carrier with the silicone. I then re-installed the spiders and side gear squeezing out the excess silicone.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:40 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

It is very locked until bound up