Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Best front diff oil for trail Twin Hammers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Best front diff oil for trail Twin Hammers?

I don't want to lock my front diff bc I still want to keep it versatile. I don't do much rock crawling although our trails have some rocks. It's a lot of tree roots though and I'm wondering if I should go with 500k or 1M front diff oil. I have 1M diff oil front and rear on a stampede 4x4 platform but it's also running brushless so it has the wheel speed to make it through anything. The setup on it is incredible with the Proline Super Swamper 2.8's and does amazing on the trails.

But the TH is completely different. It's 2spd with completely different front and rear suspension and a much slimmer track width. I'm also running Proline Badlands 2.8 instead of crawler tires bc again I want it to be versatile. I don't want super soft tires that fold over at speed and cause rollovers. I'm running medium rear sway bars also.,

So 500k or 1M in front diff for trails and a versatile, good handling machine?
DeathVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Best front diff oil for trail Twin Hammers?

I just put 1m in mine. Testing today. will let you know my thoughts.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
nedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmo View Post
I just put 1m in mine. Testing today. will let you know my thoughts.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Awesome. I know 500k works but this is a slow brushed 15T motor so I thought the 1M will have to be used
Old 08-25-2017, 09:49 PM   #4
Slow is the new Fast

I put the 500k in mine a while back. Planned to put in the 1M but LHS did not have it. It seemed nice and thick in the beginning, but seems to have loosened up over time. I would consider the 1M next time I repack it.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:44 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

yeah deffinately a lot more stable at high speed and crawling was pretty good. hard to really test crawling as i am locked in high gear with a sensored 10.5t brushless setup.

I think I need to put a bit more in, but I wouldnt oo any lower than 1M
nedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOG View Post
I put the 500k in mine a while back. Planned to put in the 1M but LHS did not have it. It seemed nice and thick in the beginning, but seems to have loosened up over time. I would consider the 1M next time I repack it.
I put 1M in mine and it's fantastic. I ordered a locker which I didn't really need bc I have JB weld but that's a permanent "fix". So far I'm liking the 1M though. So much grip and my turning radius is still good despite having the stock slider system.

My ESC and motor do get relatively hot ever since I got the TH. Motor heatsink gets up to around 137F and the motor itself gets up to around 121F whether I measure at the front or back (heatsink is in the middle). Weird. I forgot to bring my temp gauge so I duno how hot my ESC was getting but just now I was running it indoors doing some indoors testing using low gear over some "terrain" I've built up. ESC was at over 140F and the AC is set to 75F. I might have to gear down but I'd hate to lose speed. It's slow enough as it is. Even a 25T pinion is a huge drop in speed. I don't wana go brushless, not with the stock plastic gears..
Old 08-29-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
Slow is the new Fast

Not sure how the plastic gears would hold up to a high powered sensored system (I run metal gears with mine), but the driveshaft set screws don't take the stress of all that power well from my experience.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I swapped the motor out for a Traxxas Titn 12 550, ran the truck down the hall and ran a few rounds, came back to my room and measured the ESC at 180F! This is with a 25t pinion. I swapped it back to the original motor and put the 25t pinion on it and it runs much cooler. I guess dropping down 3 teeth helped a lot because going from the stock 4.3" tires to 4.95" really made a big difference. So now it's gona be a bit slower :-(
Old 09-04-2017, 03:36 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

500K in the front, 1M in the back, (SrIrie open rear diff.) Works great on trails and do still do some faster bashing. ;)

I'll probably go 1M front & rear next time I re-pack.
Bl-air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:15 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl-air View Post
500K in the front, 1M in the back, (SrIrie open rear diff.) Works great on trails and do still do some faster bashing. ;)

I'll probably go 1M front & rear next time I re-pack.
Why open diffs?
Old 09-07-2017, 05:37 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathVirus View Post
Why open diffs?
It seems to flip less on hard pack and other high traction surfaces in hard cornering, but with the high viscous fluids, maintains good traction on the trails as well.

It takes a performance hit on rock crawling and I'm good with that as I don't do much pure rock crawling. Mostly trail running which it does very well.
Bl-air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:00 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Why open diffs?
x2 on the reason given above, plus it's much more kind on the transmission and driveline components as the open diffs front and rear provide a small amount of slip if the wheels are bound up, which means you're less likely to break stuff.

I run 500K in the front and rear diffs, but might try 1M next time.
Rotare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotare View Post
x2 on the reason given above, plus it's much more kind on the transmission and driveline components as the open diffs front and rear provide a small amount of slip if the wheels are bound up, which means you're less likely to break stuff.

I run 500K in the front and rear diffs, but might try 1M next time.
Isn't that what the slipper is for?
Old 09-11-2017, 10:51 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

The Twin Hammers has been such a pain. It's slow and can't do what I really want it to do. I don't feel like tearing it apart and to upgrade the plastic gears to metal so I can put a brushless system in it. I have an Axial Bomber on order along with a stronger Savox servo and metal servo horn, rear sway bar kit, 2 speed kit and case for the 2 speed, and 9t pinion to run my MMP+4600kv motor I've had lying around. The stock tires seem good from what I hear
Old 09-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #15
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
The Twin Hammers has been such a pain. It's slow and can't do what I really want it to do. I don't feel like tearing it apart and to upgrade the plastic gears to metal so I can put a brushless system in it. I have an Axial Bomber on order along with a stronger Savox servo and metal servo horn, rear sway bar kit, 2 speed kit and case for the 2 speed, and 9t pinion to run my MMP+4600kv motor I've had lying around. The stock tires seem good from what I hear
Huh? I find tearing into the transmissions on these things enjoyable. Having metal gears and a good grease job is a good time in the dirt. Seems a shame not to allow yourself to experience the brushless sensored system. It is how the TH is meant to be run In my opinion.

Anyway, enjoy the Bomber man! I have a roller that I picked up in the classifieds earlier this summer. I plan to get into it this fall as well. It looks fun.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Isn't that what the slipper is for?
It's more effective.

Plenty of driveline components still break in cars with locked diffs that have a slipper clutch....
Old 09-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOG View Post
Huh? I find tearing into the transmissions on these things enjoyable. Having metal gears and a good grease job is a good time in the dirt. Seems a shame not to allow yourself to experience the brushless sensored system. It is how the TH is meant to be run In my opinion.

Anyway, enjoy the Bomber man! I have a roller that I picked up in the classifieds earlier this summer. I plan to get into it this fall as well. It looks fun.
Yes I hope it's gona be fun. I got bored of the Summit and it's just been sitting around. The plastic gears don't need grease but if I had metal gears that would be a different story. I don't mind doing this stuff on our Stampede 4x4's bc they're such an easy platform to work on. The TH uses small screws that I've already stripped out and had to replace. It's such a pain to work on the TH. It doesn't have the big hex bolts the traxxas stampede or summit has. Even the cheap FS Racing stuff is easier to work on
Old 11-06-2017, 10:08 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Just building my new kit.Looking through my manual I see the rear diff is locked.To run open rear diffs,do you purchase another set of gears same as the front diff or?
xv-townboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:02 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xv-townboy View Post
Just building my new kit.Looking through my manual I see the rear diff is locked.To run open rear diffs,do you purchase another set of gears same as the front diff or?
I’m not sure it’s meant to be run that way. Why not just purchase a different vehicle with open diffs already?
Old 11-07-2017, 03:03 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Why not just purchase a different vehicle with open diffs already?
.... cause modifying cars is a whole heap of fun?

Best front diff oil for trail Twin Hammers? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Updated Video Link: Twin Hammers Locked Vs Unlocked Front Diff Video Jafo99 Vaterra Twin Hammers 3 05-10-2013 01:54 PM