Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Clone Hammers 540 Motor Mount and simple "Hobby Grade" setup (Feiyue FY03)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2018, 07:03 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Clone Hammers 540 Motor Mount and simple "Hobby Grade" setup (Feiyue FY03)

How's your fy03 running these days, Hugo? My friend and I just bought one apiece. I filed down and lubed the diff gears, shimmed the main diff gear, Loctited the 3 screws where they meet metal. Smallest pinion installed with Loctite and meshed. Slipper one half turn from full lock. Shocks adjusted as recommended. Fuel tubing o-rings between the drive pins and bearings near the wheel hexes. I left the light buckets since they can be replaced when they get worn down from roll-overs. Strapped the loose heatsink onto the motor using a zip tie the rig came with. Lubed the bearings. Lubed the c-hubs with graphite powder. Moved the steering ball to the inner hole, closer to the servo screw to give torque, slow it down, and prevent damage; still had to turn down the dual-rate a bit to prevent the servo from burning up when trying to get past the end points. Battery velcro'd down to keep it from sliding around. Probably some other stuff I forgot, LOL! Runs like a charm! Ordered some m2.5x20mm Hex screws off eBay for $1 to adjust the front suspension a bit. Working on installing a 5v fan on the motor.

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 03-02-2018 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Clarification
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2018, 11:51 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Default Clone Hammers 540 Motor Mount and simple "Hobby Grade" setup (Feiyue FY03)

I take it you got the RTR? It needs a lot of tinkering... but if you mess with it right its a cool rc.

I have received the shafts in the meantime. They are fitted and its heavier but feels better on obstacles. Fitted an 20t pinion, a new servo and ordered some oil shocks which is still in the post. Also extended the upper links on the rear to fix the angle on the universal and fixed the toe out on the front by spacing the steering links with 3mm spacers.

Its dead slow with the 20t but unstoppable to the point that I feel the its going to eat itself with the 540 in it. The motor will probably break it before I do... just because it wants to keep on turning the wheels.
My clutch is locked, lost it completely on the very first pack. Lol. Also lock the rear diff.

Been hecticly busy with work so haven’t had a lot of time to mess with it. I still think its awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by HugoBiermann; 03-02-2018 at 11:57 AM.
HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:38 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Default Re: Clone Hammers 540 Motor Mount and simple "Hobby Grade" setup (Feiyue FY03)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoBiermann View Post
I take it you got the RTR? It needs a lot of tinkering... but if you mess with it right its a cool rc.

I have received the shafts in the meantime. They are fitted and its heavier but feels better on obstacles. Fitted an 20t pinion, a new servo and ordered some oil shocks which is still in the post. Also extended the upper links on the rear to fix the angle on the universal and fixed the toe out on the front by spacing the steering links with 3mm spacers.

Its dead slow with the 20t but unstoppable to the point that I feel the its going to eat itself with the 540 in it. The motor will probably break it before I do... just because it wants to keep on turning the wheels.
My clutch is locked, lost it completely on the very first pack. Lol. Also lock the rear diff.

Been hecticly busy with work so haven’t had a lot of time to mess with it. I still think its awesome!

Looking good! Yeah, I got the RTR from eBay for $75 shipped; figure I'll run it 'til something breaks and then upgrade all the electronics together, unless it's the servo, in which case I may mod one of mine that has a dead pcb.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:04 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

The standard size servo mod is really easy. Generic plastic servo mounts and some hole relocation and its in.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:28 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
The standard size servo mod is really easy. Generic plastic servo mounts and some hole relocation and its in.

I read about that somewhere and then saw it in your most recent pictures. Thanks for that.

So I noticed that my fuel tubing o-rings between the drive pins and bearings near the wheel hexes causes some drag; removed them.

What rear driveshaft is that, and is it heavy steel or light alloy? Ideally I'd like to have buff lightweight plastic, but I think the outputs are too small for my Axial 10th scale stuff.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2018, 05:07 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Its the 12428 upgrade shaft on Banggood. They haven’t shown stock on the Feiyue upgrade rear shaft in months. Its not great but it will do. When it wears I might order something beefier off ebay.
The heavy shafts helped the buggy with stability though.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Its the 12428 upgrade shaft on Banggood. They haven’t shown stock on the Feiyue upgrade rear shaft in months. Its not great but it will do. When it wears I might order something beefier off ebay.
The heavy shafts helped the buggy with stability though.

Thanks. In that case I may try to modify something I have. I'll let you know if it works out.

Are you still running the stock front driveshaft and axle halves?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2018, 11:40 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Default Clone Hammers 540 Motor Mount and simple "Hobby Grade" setup (Feiyue FY03)

Its the upgrade ones.

Let us know what you find.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:04 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

So my eBay shocks rocked up. Filled them with oil and tried them out. The rears are perfect out the plastic, the front needed some attention. The stock springs were hopelessly too soft. I ended up cutting the seat ring off the FY03 shocks trying to get the initial tension of the springs to be lower. It seems like its working and I’m happy. No more bouncy China Buggy!

Also swopped the Mabuchi with the Austar 45t I bought for the D90. Used the 26t pinion that came as an extra with the kit. Speed is still perfect. Can go slow with no issues. Power seems good over obstacles.

I think this is setup for good now. Might just swop the wheels with something else.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Finally got some ebay beadlocks on. With cheap 96mm ebay tires. Foams were horrible. Plugged the vents on the rims and running it foamless. The tires are definitely an improvement.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:12 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

So. It finally broke.

We went camping a month ago and I took the FY03 and my Lunchbox with to bash a bit. My fried had the FY03 and abused it properly.

Drag brake on and with the 540 gave him a lot of joy with the throttle all the way back. LOL. He ran its stupid on the throttle, going full speed in one direction and banging it full throttle into the other. Spinning the hell out of it in the dirt. Full throttle all the rime. The 540 obviously complied to every demand on the throttle, without hesitation. I never drive it like that. Anycase. It took us about 4 packs to totally waste the front diff. Its gone. No FWD. just a funny crackling sound when spinning the wheels. We carried on banging on it with more packs and eventually stripped the rear pinion.

I know that we were horribly abusive with it, but it was funny and pushed it way past its limit.

I ordered the replacement parts and the stock 390 motor when I got home. Parts arrived in the week and got fitted last night.

Treated the diffs with some proper grease, locked the screws with stud lock and fitted the 26t stock pinion to the 390.
Running it FBR on the 1060 now. It will be the basher for my friends from now on.

Speed isn’t bad and the power still usable for some trailing.

The main gearbox still looks awesome though. The nylon gears are solid.

Now to see how long the 390 lasts.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

The proper rear drive shaft rocked up. Nice part for the money. Now all the shafts are the same type.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Its been a while now and the 390 started to loose power. It actually came to a halt on the weekend. Lol. So we are back to a Mabuchi 27t! Its soooo much better! 26t pinion. I swopped the 1060 out with a programable Racestar 60A though. Its a horrible esc but with the very limited programming I actually managed to get the 540’s power delivery and brake set up way less aggressive than on a 1060. It doesn’t wheelie off the bat anymore but has decent top end. Should be ok on the diff pinions.

Need to get it in the dirt soon. Will be fun bashing it again.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:40 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Another quick update. That Racestar esc has been pulled and replaced with a 1040. The Racestar is just too pathetic. Might be more suitable for a bin... other than that the buggy runs perfectly and the Mabuchi 27t is as solid as they come.

Still enjoy bashing this thing.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:19 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

You've managed to keep this thing alive way longer than anyone else I've seen. If your having fun with this you should try the 1/10 version.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:07 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

I wish I could. Need to get whole bunch of other things sorted.

The kids might like one in a while though.........

Clone Hammers 540 Motor Mount and simple "Hobby Grade" setup (Feiyue FY03) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing a "ToyZuki's fabrication Motor Mount" ToyZuki General Scale Talk 70 03-23-2020 10:14 PM
BADDMANS C1 called 50Cal """XR10 up grade""" baddman 1.9 Scale Rigs 21 08-27-2012 11:56 PM