RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vaterra Twin Hammers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-twin-hammers/)
-   -   Trail tires- best for lots of tree roots, grass, and hard pack dirt (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-twin-hammers/589339-trail-tires-best-lots-tree-roots-grass-hard-pack-dirt.html)

DeathVirus 09-07-2017 04:34 PM

Trail tires- best for lots of tree roots, grass, and hard pack dirt

What's the best tires for my trails in my area? They consist of A LOT of tree roots, grass, and hard packed dirt. Not much rocks so I was choosing between keeping my Proline Badlands 2.8 or Proline Super Swampers XL 2.2 for the extra ground clearance to clear bigger roots. Do the Super Swampers handle tree roots well or would the Badlands 2.8 have better grip over them? Any other suggestions? Here's my current setup:

Jack Hammer
21/78 48p gearing
Stock electronics with Titan 12T
Bastens aluminum heatsink
Stock springs
Turned droop rods almost all the way down
60wt/45wt oil
Added 1mm front preload/removed rear preload
Rear shocks lowered 6mm with tubing
Medium Rear sway bar, 4mm gap
Camber: 0/0 degrees
Proline Badlands 2.8
Locked/slipper half turn out/locked solid axle
2.5oz lead weight on bumper
.75oz lead weight on each front a-arm
1.5oz lead weight on each side rear axle
1oz Beef Tubes Beef Patties per front wheel
Traxxas thick gray wheel hexes in rear wheels
Steering expo @-50%
Throttle expo @-20%
Dual rate: ch.1 100%, ch.2 100%, ch.3 50%
Trim: ch.1 R4, ch.2 B01, ch.3 +12
Right Steering end point @120%
Left Steering end point @120%
Ch.3 end point @60%
Gens Ace 2s 3500mah 60c
Energizer Ultimate Lithium in transmitter
Front/Rear ride height: 1.8"/1.65"@diff
Front/Rear track width: 10.25"/10.5"

As you can see I have lost much of my articulation because when I installed the locker the outdrive cups were pushed out and vastly limited my droop. I in turn turned both droop rods almost all the way down. But it fixed my heat issue. All that articulation was causing my ESC heatsink to hit 201-207F and motor gets to 150F. After I fixed it and swapped my motor to the Titan 12T and regeared my ESC heatsink gets to 115F and motor was 88F.

Bl-air 09-07-2017 04:57 PM

Re: Trail tires- best for lots of tree roots, grass, and hard pack dirt

I voted 'Other' because I'm still running the stock RTR Race Claws. Small tire bonus in our local Call To Crawl fun competition series and work well on the trails I run on. Tree roots, fine ( 1/8"-1/4" ) gravel piles, loose sand, rocks, loam, hard pack are all part of my area's environment.

DeathVirus 09-07-2017 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bl-air (Post 5746462)
I voted 'Other' because I'm still running the stock RTR Race Claws. Small tire bonus in our local Call To Crawl fun competition series and work well on the trails I run on. Tree roots, fine ( 1/8"-1/4" ) gravel piles, loose sand, rocks, loam, hard pack are all part of my area's environment.

Interesting. I didn't find the stock tires to be very grippy and at 4.3" tall they didn't provide me with enough ground clearance

JatoTheRipper 09-07-2017 06:31 PM

I don't know what a Jack Hammer is, but you won't find a better trail tire than ProLine TSLs or Hyrax.

DeathVirus 09-11-2017 10:52 AM

The Twin Hammers has been such a pain. It's slow and can't do what I really want it to do. I don't feel like tearing it apart and to upgrade the plastic gears to metal so I can put a brushless system in it. I have an Axial Bomber on order along with a stronger Savox servo and metal servo horn, rear sway bar kit, 2 speed kit and case for the 2 speed, and 9t pinion to run my MMP+4600kv motor I've had lying around. The stock tires seem good from what I hear

JatoTheRipper 09-11-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathVirus (Post 5747436)
The Twin Hammers has been such a pain. It's slow and can't do what I really want it to do. I don't feel like tearing it apart and to upgrade the plastic gears to metal so I can put a brushless system in it. I have an Axial Bomber on order along with a stronger Savox servo and metal servo horn, rear sway bar kit, 2 speed kit and case for the 2 speed, and 9t pinion to run my MMP+4600kv motor I've had lying around. The stock tires seem good from what I hear

The TH seems to small for any real world use. I do have a friend who has one and it will crawl up a vertical wall on the rocks though!

The Bomber is an awesome vehicle. You should have ordered the kit. It's a much better value. The RTR comes with garbage electronics that you'll throw out anyway. And it has too much plastic where it should have metal. The kit doesn't really need any upgrades out of the box except for the tires. The stock kit tires are OK, but they aren't great. And I'm not sure if the RTR has R35 compound.

If you can I'd cancel the RTR and get the kit.

4600kV is too much for the Bomber IMO.

DeathVirus 09-11-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5747446)
The TH seems to small for any real world use. I do have a friend who has one and it will crawl up a vertical wall on the rocks though!

The Bomber is an awesome vehicle. You should have ordered the kit. It's a much better value. The RTR comes with garbage electronics that you'll throw out anyway. And it has too much plastic where it should have metal. The kit doesn't really need any upgrades out of the box except for the tires. The stock kit tires are OK, but they aren't great. And I'm not sure if the RTR has R35 compound.

If you can I'd cancel the RTR and get the kit.

4600kV is too much for the Bomber IMO.

You are correct about the kit but I'm not too keen on putting stuff together. I tend to over tighten things and break things in general. I have a really strong grip and don't know when how tight stuff should be.. I'm sure the kit is just like any other kit.. You get several bags of stuff and you put it ALL together. Am I right? Not a good fit for me which is why I always buy RTR and then upgrade from there

I've heard many times the 4600kv is too much for X vehicle. I've used it in several vehicles with success. It's all about gearing and final drive ratio. The Bomber weighs about 1lb more than a stampede xl-5 and has a much higher final drive ratio of 5.67 than the stampede's 3.92. The 4600kv when geared low will have a very low rollout so it will be in its happy rev range. My Son's stampede has the 4600kv with a .66 rollout and crawls better than the turd hammer and it still goes 30mph on flat ground (I GPS'd it).
The way I plan to build the Bomber will have a rollout of .46:1 in high gear (unless I opt to switch it out to the other ratio then it'll be .40:1) and .21:1 in low gear, both of which are lower than even the Traxxas Summit.

JatoTheRipper 09-11-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathVirus (Post 5747468)
You are correct about the kit but I'm not too keen on putting stuff together. I tend to over tighten things and break things in general. I have a really strong grip and don't know when how tight stuff should be.. I'm sure the kit is just like any other kit.. You get several bags of stuff and you put it ALL together. Am I right? Not a good fit for me which is why I always buy RTR and then upgrade from there

I've heard many times the 4600kv is too much for X vehicle. I've used it in several vehicles with success. It's all about gearing and final drive ratio. The Bomber weighs about 1lb more than a stampede xl-5 and has a much higher final drive ratio of 5.67 than the stampede's 3.92. The 4600kv when geared low will have a very low rollout so it will be in its happy rev range. My Son's stampede has the 4600kv with a .66 rollout and crawls better than the turd hammer and it still goes 30mph on flat ground (I GPS'd it).
The way I plan to build the Bomber will have a rollout of .46:1 in high gear (unless I opt to switch it out to the other ratio then it'll be .40:1) and .21:1 in low gear, both of which are lower than even the Traxxas Summit.

Yes, the kit has to be built from scratch. But the manuals are laid out step by step and they are easy to build. In plastics you have to remember that you stop turning when the head of the screw meets the plastics. Not using self-tapping screw also helps. They strip plastic faster than machine screws.

Buchhop2 09-11-2017 04:05 PM

I would be concerned with using 2.2's on a twin hammers. My 1.9 rc4wd irons (it's what came on it when I bought it used) broke a front shaft in 3 minutes after I put the locker in it. It was originally going to get my xl 1.9 swampers but I'm nervous now because of how fragile the front shafts are. My swampers are awesome on my scx10. Mahnke with less droop you will stress them less but I still don't see that front end handling 2.2's very well.

Ninomaniac 09-11-2017 11:22 PM

DeathVirus, you're the king of doing things that people tell you not to do! (Keep it up, I picked up some good info from your threads) :D

DeathVirus 09-12-2017 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninomaniac (Post 5747615)
DeathVirus, you're the king of doing things that people tell you not to do! (Keep it up, I picked up some good info from your threads) :D

Oh yes. My wife hates it

diesel kawboy 10-02-2017 08:53 PM

I run cut 1.9 growlers on mine. I wasn't impressed with their performance stock but once they were cut... Total game changer!

wblteen 10-06-2017 08:44 PM

Iroks work wonders on the type of stuff you described.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

DeathVirus 10-15-2017 07:27 AM

I wonder if RC4WD or Proline have the better TSL tire. The edges of each tread looks sharper than the more rounded Proline TSL's

Brake Weight 10-15-2017 08:46 AM

I've got a set of the GMade 1903 on an scx10 I'm working on right now. They look a lot like the TSL and are very soft. They have a 1904 that is more aggressive and 121mm tall.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...233a16a366.png

https://www.ebay.com/i/172821699542

Also these Austar tires are very similar. The rubber is reportedly harder and less grippy. Depends on if you want to crawl more or bit more on the loose stuff.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4fe5933342.png

https://www.ebay.com/i/322511352950

mikemcE 10-15-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5746482)
I don't know what a Jack Hammer is, but you won't find a better trail tire than ProLine TSLs or Hyrax.

I run both of these, the Hyrax seem a bit better when wet, both work quite well.

Hang up and Drive