Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Options for vertical front shocks? Options for rear setup?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2017, 04:28 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Options for vertical front shocks? Options for rear setup?

I've finally stumbled across a helluva deal on a used Twin Hammers. It's just now getting mailed out to me today but I'm ready to do a few mods.

What are the option for a vertical front mount shock setup? I've seen a few but don't know if I've missed anything that's still readily available. I may try to make one styled like the BMRC using 2mm aluminum.

Price point of these three goes to BMRC and looks/style to GCM.

BlueMonkey

GCM

The 3D Scorcher isn't completely vertical and doesn't allow for a front battery mount.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2017, 05:51 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Options for vertical front shocks?

Not sure 2mm aluminium will be thick enough and will likely bend out of shape. I've made mine from 3mm alumium and it seems to hold up.
Rotare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:29 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I've got the scorched parts. The inclusion of the bell crank steering makes it a good piece of kit. Well made and looks good. Looks really nice with the desert truck body.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Damatheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damatheus View Post
I've got the scorched parts. The inclusion of the bell crank steering makes it a good piece of kit. Well made and looks good. Looks really nice with the desert truck body.

Does it take any slop out of the steering or does it just integrate the bell rank because it can? I would assUme that the front end would be softer than with an upright shock even with much stiffer springs and dampening.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #5
Slow is the new Fast

The only one you have not mentioned that I know of was made by Sr.Irie, but he hasn't been around for awhile. No one seems to know if he will be coming back.

The Scorched Parts and GCM pieces have been amazing. The GCM plate is heavy and ideal for getting your weight more forward. I would go for the Scorched Parts for a more balanced rig.

I also have the Blue Monkey piece on a TH chassis with an SCX10 transmission , but I haven't dropped electronics into it yet.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #6
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Does it take any slop out of the steering or does it just integrate the bell rank because it can? I would assUme that the front end would be softer than with an upright shock even with much stiffer springs and dampening.
It definitely tightens up the steering. It is a well designed setup. Dbx, the designer, is on here. It appears clear to me he sets a high bar for his designs.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
As SMOG said, it definitely tightens the steering. Everyone always says a bellcrank steering makes a big difference, and I didn't realize how bad the factory was until I installed the scorched parts.

Also to note, he is creating a standard upright shock based off the st irie kit which will be available soon.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #8
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
As SMOG said, it definitely tightens the steering. Everyone always says a bellcrank steering makes a big difference, and I didn't realize how bad the factory was until I installed the scorched parts.

Also to note, he is creating a standard upright shock based off the st irie kit which will be available soon.

Nice. Gotta love options!

Personally I think the cantilevered setup looks killer on the TH.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I agree with Smog's comment about the GCM plate being heavy. I had it for a while and the TH seemed nose heavy for high speed running. It is great if you are only doing slow speed crawling. I went back to the stock shock setup with lighter oil in the shocks and I think it handles better. I have the Shapeways bellcrank assembly on order to tighten up the steering.
jgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #10
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I assume you are referring to the bell crank kit for the GCM plate? This is now selling on the Shapeways site. Works great and isn't very expensive to print. I think the full Scorched Parts suspension setup has some key performance advantages.... but I think people like the look of the GCM, which is understandable.
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the insight. I'll have another look tonight.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Default Options for vertical front shocks?

I have the Sr Irie bell-crank kit (stock susp.) on my TH. I wonder of I can somehow use the blue monkey shock kit in conjunction with my bell-crank kit? Maybe layer or sandwich the BM shock tower kit and the Irie kit at a certain point to make it work. I’m sure some modification to the BM kit would have to be done to achieve it but I’m willing to try. Hmmmmmm

Last edited by CR4NK; 09-21-2017 at 06:26 PM.
CR4NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #13
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbx View Post
I assume you are referring to the bell crank kit for the GCM plate? This is now selling on the Shapeways site. Works great and isn't very expensive to print. I think the full Scorched Parts suspension setup has some key performance advantages.... but I think people like the look of the GCM, which is understandable.
In other words, you aren't designing a vertical shock mount...

No matter, your cantilevered design is excellent.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:25 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbx View Post
Yes that's the one, I was confused long days!

Old 09-21-2017, 11:41 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Default Options for vertical front shocks? Options for rear setup?

I added to the title to broaden the thread some.

My search wording may be incorrect, but this is for those running the Yeti/Bomber/SMT rear trailing arms. TH arms are 116mm and the Axial arms are 142mm. The Axial are 26mm/1" longer. I haven't seen any real comparisons for lower mounting location of the shock. I know the Yeti 380 is slightly bigger and heavier as I have one.

Would it be a reasonable assumption that I could run the Axial arms with the 128mm Yeti rear shock vs TH arm and 110mm shock? Spring rate and dampening would need to be tuned.

Then in the front the 92mm Yeti shock with an upright mount? IIRC from yesterday's google session, the BMRC and GCM call for an 85mm shock. The front Yeti's can't really be shortened externally but can be 'shimmed' internally with a bumpstop quite easily. The Scorched kit called for an 80mm shock with 20mm worth of compression. Claimed this was exact range of the TH driveshafts.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 09-22-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #16
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: Options for vertical front shocks? Options for rear setup?

I am running RC4WD 110mm shocks with Yeti trailing arms in the rear. They work well. Depending on your mounting points I am imagine the 128mm shocks could fit, but I would imagine you would be pushing your limits.

The 85mm shocks with the GCM front shock tower already require an internal shim to limit travel. IIRC, to prevent the dogbone CV end from popping out.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #17
Slow is the new Fast

The yellow one has the Yeti Trailing arms and 110mm King Shocks

Old 09-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I see what you're saying. Would you take a pic of both of them side by side and on their roofs?

I think I'll keep it in stock form for a few months then do the front suspension.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:28 PM   #19
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
I see what you're saying. Would you take a pic of both of them side by side and on their roofs?

I think I'll keep it in stock form for a few months then do the front suspension.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:58 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

What upper links are you running with those Yeti trailing arms?
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Options for vertical front shocks? Options for rear setup? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front axle options? BDR Axial XR10 12 03-16-2015 01:46 PM
Vertical front shock angle photon_trap Vaterra Twin Hammers 13 06-05-2013 09:08 PM
Front shock options? Baja Bandido Vaterra Twin Hammers 2 05-13-2013 04:33 PM
spring options for t-maxx shocks or what shocks to use? SmokeScream Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 08-13-2010 01:02 PM
AX 10 front axle shafts options, please! Jeep-Power Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 06-10-2009 02:58 PM