Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: New to Me TWH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2017, 05:46 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New to Me TWH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
That looks great.

I have been running mine for two years now. 4000kv sensorless brushless system in it. Hitec servos, 5646 for steering and a mighty mini for shifting. I run a rear (soft) sway bar in the rear, and none up front. Two speed fully functional. Locked front center and rear. I do heavy trailing with it, and tend to hang with the big dogs... Brushless Wraith's and Yeti's and blow the guys away with how capable the little Twin Hammers is. My twin in high gear will hang with a stock brushed slash on the track, and in low, climb and trail with the scx 10's. Its a box stock Kit.

The weak links are the spur, (replaced with a rrp steel gear) and the front cvds. About 4 hours of trailing and I usually break a pin, followed shortly after another. Replace the pins, and 2- 4 hours later I snap the cvd's them self. I am running a 4 pole 550 brushless though.

Before you start throwing parts at it , Drive it and decide where you want to go with it.
Thanks, appreciate it!

To a degree, I can't leave well enough alone. I ordered some of the Vanquish parts...front uprights, knuckles and rear upper links. I'll order the lower links at another time. I've already locked the front, but after hearing opinions of others I'm thinking that maybe 500K or 1M diff fluid might be the way to go. I'll run the locked diff for a bit to see how it goes while I look for some proper diff fluids.

I think I'm going to be able to get it out for it's first true off road experience this weekend. Very much looking forward to it to see what this thing is capable of.
ebbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

With your mild 27 turn brushed motor I would be surprised if you were able to break CVD's, even with the spool up front. I've never broke one crawling, even bound up enough to stall the motor. But they can break when landing large jumps at awkward angles while still on the throttle. Mine is powered by a 17.5 on 3s and 2s and overall the drivetrain has been extremely durable. Going on 3 years now with original ring/pinions, front driveshaft, and kit supplied metal trans gears. The sand wears out the rear driveshaft joints, but they don't break until the pins are like slivers, so I just change the pins when I notice excessive play in the joints.

Your RTR has plastic trans gears, which are fine for 27 turn power, but if you decide to go with a go-fast brushless motor than metal trans gears would be a wise idea at the same time.

If you run in sand much make sure to fill in the "gaps" on either side of the motor where it fits into the slots on the mounts. I was chewing up a spur gear every run in the sand until I fill those voids with little chunks of foam.

I wouldn't get worked up about "upgrading" the stock lower rear trailing arms. The stock plastic ones are extremely durable, light, cheap, slide easily over obstacles, and wear very slowly at the pivot ball holes.

Your really going to want a good servo (like 300+ oz/in) and an aluminum horn that works with your bellcrank kit. Replacing the servo in the TH isn't as quick and easy as most solid axled RC's, so do yourself a favor and buy a name brand one once the stocker dies.

The rear sway bar helps tame the rear of the rig and is a good cheap modification. Most tend to run either the light or medium diameter bar as the stiffest bare makes articulation basically nil.

Oh, and welcome to the fold. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the capabilities of this platform. Mine has turned into my favorite rig, which is saying a lot since I have a fleet of 20+ trucks.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
With your mild 27 turn brushed motor I would be surprised if you were able to break CVD's, even with the spool up front. I've never broke one crawling, even bound up enough to stall the motor. But they can break when landing large jumps at awkward angles while still on the throttle. Mine is powered by a 17.5 on 3s and 2s and overall the drivetrain has been extremely durable. Going on 3 years now with original ring/pinions, front driveshaft, and kit supplied metal trans gears. The sand wears out the rear driveshaft joints, but they don't break until the pins are like slivers, so I just change the pins when I notice excessive play in the joints.

Your RTR has plastic trans gears, which are fine for 27 turn power, but if you decide to go with a go-fast brushless motor than metal trans gears would be a wise idea at the same time.

If you run in sand much make sure to fill in the "gaps" on either side of the motor where it fits into the slots on the mounts. I was chewing up a spur gear every run in the sand until I fill those voids with little chunks of foam.

I wouldn't get worked up about "upgrading" the stock lower rear trailing arms. The stock plastic ones are extremely durable, light, cheap, slide easily over obstacles, and wear very slowly at the pivot ball holes.

Your really going to want a good servo (like 300+ oz/in) and an aluminum horn that works with your bellcrank kit. Replacing the servo in the TH isn't as quick and easy as most solid axled RC's, so do yourself a favor and buy a name brand one once the stocker dies.

The rear sway bar helps tame the rear of the rig and is a good cheap modification. Most tend to run either the light or medium diameter bar as the stiffest bare makes articulation basically nil.

Oh, and welcome to the fold. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the capabilities of this platform. Mine has turned into my favorite rig, which is saying a lot since I have a fleet of 20+ trucks.

Most excellent!!! Thanks, meatmonkey!

Great information. This is why I like these forums and why I think it is a great idea to do build threads. People give great advice and ideas and I can always refer back to this when I am ready to upgrade servos, etc.

I got my Scorched Parts in from Shapeways. I installed the rear link truss but need to secure all of the additional hardware and bearings to install the Manta bell crank plate.

Hoping to get it out this weekend on something other than the street. I love the look of this rig and I'm hoping the performance meets my expectations.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:57 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Finally got her out on the rocks a bit. I have to say, this is a fun little rig! It crawls better than expected and has some good speed, even with a 27t motor.

My VP package came in today after trailing, so got those beauties installed.

Also got some new shoes! VP KMC Machetes wrapped in Proline BFGoodrich T/As.

I thought the Machetes looked pretty much like the stock wheel. So far I like it. The softer tires should help crawling capabilities. Not sold on these tires yet. I'll see how they do. I like the thought of the Proline Hyrax, too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

I finally got all the pieces necessary to install my Scorched Parts Manta Bell Crank setup. Installation was a lot of trial and error...a combination of unfamiliarity with this TH platform and no directions, other than some photos. It was a bit of a challenge but fun to install.

Also upgraded the steering servo to a Savox 1210.

I have not run it yet, but did a little test. Seems to work flawlessly. Can't wait to get it out and test her out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

New to Me TWH - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to TWH Poserx Vaterra Twin Hammers 3 06-24-2013 05:57 PM
TWH trans in something different Exocaged Vaterra Twin Hammers 2 04-01-2013 12:07 PM
combo for the twh qcax10 Vaterra Twin Hammers 6 02-24-2013 04:47 PM
has anybody tried 1.55 wheels on the TWH?? heinie_21 Vaterra Twin Hammers 5 02-24-2013 07:52 AM
twh motor Ohioskills Vaterra Twin Hammers 1 02-23-2013 08:09 AM