Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Savox servo issues - voltage drop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2018, 05:04 AM   #1

Default Savox servo issues - voltage drop

Hello,

Noticed today that steering in one direction stopped working unless I turn the servo the other way first and then back over. When I got home I cleaned up everything and notice that the servo gets very hot after a short period of testing.

Seems like turning in one specific direction causes it to fail. It's a Savox-SW0231. I notice the lights on the truck dim and the fan on the ESC drop to a stop when I try to turn the servo. Seems like it's on it's way to give up.

Can you recommend any other servo (waterproof) or just buy a new one of the same? Or is my diagnosis incorrect?

Thanks in advance.
hj_swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2018, 05:35 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Savox servo issues - voltage drop

It could be servo glitch. Good waterproof servo, I will recommended this Savox SW-1210SG. Mine ran almost 4 years and still running strong. However you would need to run good BEC.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:01 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

First check that the voltage that the servo is getting is the correct one (check that the BEC/Battery is giving the correct voltage for the servo)
If that is correct and the servo gets hot with almost no load, it can be 2 main causes, one is high friction on linkages or faulty servo. You can check the linkage by disassembling the arm and moving the linkages by hand.
If the servo is faulty the best is to replace it.
gonper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:01 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I second checking the voltage. I had a esc that couldn"t cope with the draw from the servo, and I was having the same issues.

Installed an external bec, no problems since.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:31 AM   #5
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like the symtoms associated with the crappy sliding rack steering jamming up. Bell crank steering may be what you need.
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbx View Post
Sounds like the symtoms associated with the crappy sliding rack steering jamming up. Bell crank steering may be what you need.
It might be! I cleaned it out and put a healthy dose of lithium grease on it.
Seemed to work better but not good enough. I ordered a new servo (same one).

From what I could see, the receiver servo power output was around 4.9V but I've read that it needs 6V (Savox being a power hungry servo?)

Guess I need a BEC as well.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:47 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I have had good results from running the savox 1210 servos at 6.4 volts from a 10a CCBEC on 2 Vaterra Ascender crawlers and now a Twin Hammers.
These servos are rated to 7.4 volts but strange things happen at this voltage and the servos glitch and hesitate and wig out.
If I didn't have to go to the hobby shop to get the BEC programmed each time I would experiment with the voltages and work out what is the maximum reliable level before they start going crazy, but for now I'm happy with the speed and torque at 6.4 volts.
This servo, even without a BEC in a Twin Hammers with Dbx's scorched parts bell crank steering is worlds better than stock!
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:48 AM   #8
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

I currently run a savox 1210 too. Works really well - probably overkill for general use.
I ran the Savox-SW0231 for a long time, including the early days before bell cranks, when it did struggle. With bell cranks and a bec (on 6v i think) the 0231 worked well.
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti.stealth View Post
I have had good results from running the savox 1210 servos at 6.4 volts from a 10a CCBEC on 2 Vaterra Ascender crawlers and now a Twin Hammers.
These servos are rated to 7.4 volts but strange things happen at this voltage and the servos glitch and hesitate and wig out.
If I didn't have to go to the hobby shop to get the BEC programmed each time I would experiment with the voltages and work out what is the maximum reliable level before they start going crazy, but for now I'm happy with the speed and torque at 6.4 volts.
This servo, even without a BEC in a Twin Hammers with Dbx's scorched parts bell crank steering is worlds better than stock!
I looked at the Scorched Steering Bell Kit, the only annoying thing seems to be to gather all the necessary components. Wish they were included in the kit plus I have the GCM Shock Tower plate on the way :O

I guess I have to start with that first.

Savox servo issues - voltage drop - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Savox servo issues with Vanquish servo horn... Drm31078 Electronics 13 01-29-2017 06:53 AM
Savox Servo Voltage Question Dirty 'Yota Electronics 5 07-27-2014 08:36 PM
Savox 1256tg servo issues. Winch in/out, lights flicker ?? Hoosierdady Electronics 3 04-26-2014 04:13 PM
Savox servo issues with video! Lentsnh2012 Electronics 9 11-08-2012 09:11 PM
Savox Max Voltage ? MUD. Electronics 6 12-13-2010 01:14 PM