Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: WLToys Clone Hammers Budget Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: WLToys Clone Hammers Budget Build

This build is awesome! That all in one tray solution is revolutionary! Im surprised the th guys arent going bananas over it. Maybe they are?

Just fyi, i am running a th 2 speed on my ascender, with ascender sized spur and a 12t pinon from robinson. Motor is a tamyia brushed 27t and esc is holmes. Odd combo i know but it works harmoniously on 3s and never ever gets hot!

I really want to try one of these as a rwd baja truck basher. If i get one, i will be sure to have a buddy print out your butter tray!!!

Last edited by Shinchu; 05-14-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #62
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I'm 2 weeks late, but I finally have my next update!
This week's update adds a custom designed 3D printed front bulkhead that provides vertical shock mounting, bell crank steering and an adjustable front mount battery tray! This represents a major upgrade for the 10428 series of Twin Hammers style vehicles.

This new design replaces the laydown shocks with nearly vertical 90mm shocks for smoother suspension action, it replaces the sliding steering rack with a more conventional bell crank system that works smoother and provides more steering angle, and it moves the battery forward (and lower) for better weight bias & CoG when crawling.

The only parts you need in addition to the 3D printed bulkhead & accessories is a set of rear SCX10 shock hoops, a new servo horn, and some miscellaneous mounting hardware, so this upgrade will only set you back about $22.

The new design replaces the laydown shocks, the rocker arms, the shock links that connect the a-arms and the rockers, the bulkhead under the laydown shocks, and the steering rack underneath the bulkhead. In it's place, you mount the new bulkhead with the bellcranks mounted beneath. One of the shock links is reused to connect the bellcranks, and the other gives up its ball studs to replace the lower ball studs in the new shocks. A new servo arm is required because of spacing as well as a need for more throw out of the servo.

Here are a couple 3D renderings of the bulkhead:
10428 Battery Tray2 by jim85iroc, on Flickr

10428 Battery Tray by jim85iroc, on Flickr

Here's a view of the underside:
10428 Battery Tray5 by jim85iroc, on Flickr

And here's a view of the part with all of the accessories:
10428 Battery Tray everything by jim85iroc, on Flickr
The piece in front is the battery stop plate that mounts to the bulkhead in one of 3 different positions depending on your battery length. The pieces in the lower right corner are the bulkheads. The long piece on the far side of the bulkhead is the shock tower support bar, and the two pieces in the upper corner are the shock spacers.

Here are some pics of it installed:
Battery tray by jim85iroc, on Flickr

I'm really stoked at how this came out, and I can't wait for our snow to melt so I can get out there and run it!

This week we started with a balance of $45.
The total spent this week is $22, which leaves a balance of $43 from this week that can be carried over.

The Thingiverse files for the printed parts can be found here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2839924

Additional parts used:
90mm shocks: $9 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Sh...72.m2749.l2649
Aluminum servo arm: $2 https://www.ebay.com/itm/25T-CNC-Alu...EAAOSwBoxaj3oJ
SCX10 AX80025 Rear Shock Hoops: $11.25 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Axial-Racin...72.m2749.l2649
Miscellaneous 3mm & 2.5mm screws

Here's the video for it:

Make sure to check out the whole upgrade series:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...eEyjOK3WH96uJr
As someone who's recently gotten into designing and 3D printing some custom RC parts, I appreciate the time and effort (and almost good enough pieces, lmao) that probably went into this, kudos to you man, it looks like an awesome part.

That being said, do you happen to know if this will fit the standard Twin Hammers? I obviously couldn't use the support between the shock towers, but do you know if the rest will fit? Unless the answer is a definte "No", I will probably print one this weekend and try it out...
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #63

Sorry for the delayed response... I've had virtually zero free time since I got roped into coaching my kid's minor league baseball team.

Anyway... the distance between the shock towers is about 65mm, which is too narrow to fit around the TH cage as far as I know. I think you need the towers to spread another 20mm to fit the TH, and honestly, I'm not sure how you can do that with the shocks mounted where they are. As it is, the shocks are almost vertical with the 65mm width. I need to see how some of the other TH vertical shock setups are done to see if there's another way to mount the shocks to the A-Arms that pushes them out a little further.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

well it would work beautifully for what i have in mind... it wouldn't need the TH body at all ;)
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #65

These things are so cool. I wish they'd come down in price. Last time I looked the side by sides were much more expensive than the TH clones.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:04 PM   #66
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
These things are so cool. I wish they'd come down in price. Last time I looked the side by sides were much more expensive than the TH clones.
I think it largely depends on which clone you're looking at... All of the 2-speed clones I've seen have been right around $150, with the single-speed ones running the $100-120 range....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2018, 06:55 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
I think it largely depends on which clone you're looking at... All of the 2-speed clones I've seen have been right around $150, with the single-speed ones running the $100-120 range....

Right. The single speed trucks also have a crap radio and plastic diff gears as far as I know. The crap radio I can forgive, since you'll end up replacing the electronics anyway, but the plastic gears and the non-upgradable transmission (which has plastic gears) end up being weak spots that are expensive to overcome.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #68

I took the 10428B out on a great rocky trail while on vacation in PA this weekend, and the truck began intermittently dropping the ability to go forward, then gave up forward rotation all together. It has the unmistakable aroma of burnt electronics. I believe that the ESC is no longer with us. :(

I need to decide if I want to try out another $11 HK ESC or step up to a WP 1040 or WP 1060.

I'd like to go with the 1040 or 1060, but unlike the one that comes stock in the Gen7, I can't find an aftermarket one that has the 0/50/100% drag brake options. They all seem to be f/b/r, f/r and f/b instead of all f/r with 3 brake options.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I took the 10428B out on a great rocky trail while on vacation in PA this weekend, and the truck began intermittently dropping the ability to go forward, then gave up forward rotation all together. It has the unmistakable aroma of burnt electronics. I believe that the ESC is no longer with us. :(

I need to decide if I want to try out another $11 HK ESC or step up to a WP 1040 or WP 1060.

I'd like to go with the 1040 or 1060, but unlike the one that comes stock in the Gen7, I can't find an aftermarket one that has the 0/50/100% drag brake options. They all seem to be f/b/r, f/r and f/b instead of all f/r with 3 brake options.
Why not just buy a Gen 7 ESC?

Old 06-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
Why not just buy a Gen 7 ESC?

Because it's 2x the cost of a normal 1040, and doesn't really fit the budget theme of the build.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:06 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Because it's 2x the cost of a normal 1040, and doesn't really fit the budget theme of the build.
Damn. Redcat thinks rather highly of themselves, lol...
Old 06-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #72

For those who have been considering a project using this vehicle, Gearbest has lowered the price to $150. With the RC18OFF coupon, that's $122. That's the cheapest I've seen it since well before I bought mine at $130.

https://www.gearbest.com/rc-cars/pp_...&lkid=14735202
Old 06-26-2018, 06:44 PM   #73
RCC Addict

Quote:
For those who have been considering a project using this vehicle, Gearbest has lowered the price to $150. With the RC18OFF coupon, that's $122. That's the cheapest I've seen it since well before I bought mine at $130.

https://www.gearbest.com/rc-cars/pp_...&lkid=14735202
Out of stock. :(
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Sorry for the delayed response... I've had virtually zero free time since I got roped into coaching my kid's minor league baseball team.

Anyway... the distance between the shock towers is about 65mm, which is too narrow to fit around the TH cage as far as I know. I think you need the towers to spread another 20mm to fit the TH, and honestly, I'm not sure how you can do that with the shocks mounted where they are. As it is, the shocks are almost vertical with the 65mm width. I need to see how some of the other TH vertical shock setups are done to see if there's another way to mount the shocks to the A-Arms that pushes them out a little further.
I have a friend of mine printing me out a set of the mounts you designed and I will be putting them on my clone hammers. I'll update my build thread when I mount them. I figure that would be the best way to see if they fit.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #75

Sweet! I'm curious how you get it to fit. Depending on what you come up with, maybe I can revise my design to accommodate the TH cage. Without one here to work on, I can't determine what changes are necessary.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #76

I haven't had any real opportunities to use the truck since making the upgrades until today. This morning my daughter and I set out on a great hiking trail while on vacation in NH. Aside from the ESC going thermal constantly, the truck performed excellently. I can't believe how well it climbs up the steep sections of trail. The only time my Gen7 had an advantage was on large break-overs that required more ground clearance. On everything else the 10428 just went up and over. I'm thrilled with how this truck works. I just need to sort out this overheating ESC.

Happy kid!

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 08-24-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:26 AM   #77

Quote:
I haven't had any real opportunities to use the truck since making the upgrades until today. This morning my daughter and I set out on a great hiking trail while on vacation in NH. Aside from the ESC going thermal constantly, the truck performed excellently. I can't believe how well it climbs up the steep sections of trail. The only time my Gen7 had an advantage was on large break-overs that required more ground clearance. On everything else the 10428 just went up and over. I'm thrilled with how this truck works. I just need to sort out this overheating ESC.

Happy kid!
Try the Shoot a video next time

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk
Twinhamme knock off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:50 PM   #78

I didn't have time. I carried all my video gear up there and barely ended up having time to drive the trucks. I may sneak out again tomorrow afternoon while the kids swim.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #79

I went back up yesterday and shot some footage. Once I get it edited and on Youtube I'll post it.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #80

oops! I just realized that I never posted my running footage. Here it is!

WLToys Clone Hammers Budget Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twin Hammers clone Brake Weight Non Crawler RC's 60 01-20-2018 04:42 AM
wltoys twin hammers clone 2 speed transmission will it fit vaterra ascender? willygee Vaterra Ascender 1 12-24-2017 11:31 PM
My upgraded Clone Hammers (WlToys K949) luminova11 Vaterra Twin Hammers 41 06-06-2017 01:24 AM
Twin Hammers Clone - WLtoys k949 - cheap build project danvincent999 Vaterra Twin Hammers 6 03-28-2017 02:49 AM
Help in binding a clone hammers please. luminova11 Vaterra Twin Hammers 3 01-09-2016 08:55 AM