Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Brake Weight’s Twin Hammers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Brake Weight’s Twin Hammers

I picked this up from the classifieds for almost a steal. Overall in like new condition except the front diff had no power at the wheels. Sorted that out as having set screws backed out. 100% stock.

It sat on the floor for a month and I decided to make some flat panels. Got them all cut out and asked my two youngest kids what the paint scheme should be. They unanimously said they wanted it to look like their school bus. #88 it is.

Seller’s pic. Looks good and stock to me.

Sweet, it’s got a 2 speed.

Old yellow dog #88.

Picked up a NOS Derwood front mount here. Thanks @onecool54@yahoo. Working on squaring it away. Tried it with 100mm shocks and some spacers under the mount, but that looked like poo. So I made a tall mount and it looked like poo, too. I finally settled on shorter shocks, sourced them, ordered them, and now I wait 3 days. Found a full set of HPI Blitz shocks for less than $20. 67-87mm up front and 70-103mm in the rear. These should work fine. Plus they’re all black. I did find a set of Chinese aluminum shocks in my junk that are 90mm and they’re currently being the mock up set.

90mm set topped out. So an 87mm should be good.

All the other front upright shock mounts have squares in the hood. I figured I’d give it a go at making holes for each shock top. Looks aight but aren’t symmetrical enough for me. So I’ll be cutting another hood out.

I ordered a set of Chinese Swampers but ordered 2.2 instead of the 1.9. Oh, well. They’ll get used somewhere else. I have a set of the RC4WD steelies that has fresh black paint. These will be going on but I haven’t made up my mind what tires yet. I may just run these for now because I think the steelies are narrower and I like that look. We’ll see when we get there.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 12-11-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: Brake Weight’s Twin Hammers

Looking good.

Are the cheap Chinese tires actually any good? I always assumed they would be crappy as stale cookies.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Looking good.

Are the cheap Chinese tires actually any good? I always assumed they would be crappy as stale cookies.

Reviews are mixed here. They don’t perform as well as the originals. But for bashing about my yard I won’t care.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The lip on these Vaterra tires do not work with the stamped steelies. What a PITA!?!! The Flat Irons don’t wanna mount either. I’ll try a set of Treps later tonight. This leaves a set of pre mounted Honcho Rips for the possible save.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 12-12-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The large stock foams I have for these Trepadors make them horrible to mount. I’ll be ordering g some CI Deuces Wild later.

I think it looks good with the steelies.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
Slow is the new Fast

It does look good with the steelies. The number font is a good one too. Not that it matters much, but I can’t say I dig the easter shock caps

Edit : what is your opinion on the electronics?
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
It does look good with the steelies. The number font is a good one too. Not that it matters much, but I can’t say I dig the easter shock caps

Edit : what is your opinion on the electronics?
LOL. The shocks are getting replaced in a couple of days with some blacked out ones. The electronics are still stock and I haven't driven it enough to judge them. But I have an ECX Circuit and it has the same ESC and motor. Those overheated with the 2wd buggy on 2s lipo. So I'd imagine these are just as dodgy. I've got a sensorless 3100kV I'll swap in when I get it pulled out of my Exo Terra.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I ordered the wrong shocks. I had carted several sets and as I weaned out the ones that wouldn’t work I deleted the right set and left the wrong set. Oh, well. I’ll add them to ‘the box’.

I sprayed the hubs of my RTR Honcho wheels black and mounted them. Then decided to make new number plates and got carried away making an entire side panel, too.

What say you?

Or

I’m leaning towards the plate myself.

I saw this done in a few of the older threads but was wondering if anyone still does this type hood mod. I made the aluminum strap across but do have some carbon fiber I can cut to fit bigger and better. I’m considering front mounting the battery here and reinstalling the interior again.

Pros/cons for this?

When my Austar 4020 (1.9 Swampers) show up I already have a set of Crawler Innovations 1.9 3001 Double Deuces waiting. I plan on removing the spare tire mount, too. Problem is now the holidays are upon us and between them and work this will get shelved for weeks now. Yay.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 12-18-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Colors look great! Looks like the TH version of my Yeti.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:12 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Finding a little time here and there finally. The newer shocks are a good fit but the spring rates aren't. The CI Deuces Wild are a perfect fit for those Austar 1.9s, but I scored a set of 5 of some TRX-4 pull offs for a deal I couldn't pass up. Now I have a spare to mount. I'll try for some pics tomorrow.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:38 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I need to tune the springs and dampening because it sits a little high in the rear and the front is topped out, too. The fronts are close/doable but I’d like some droop in the rear.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Mild update.

I removed the stock 15t motor and junky ESC. I pulled the 3100kV sensorless from my Exo Terra and put it in with another 28 tooth pinion. A pinion I can get my wrench on without stripping the set screw again. Then I pulled the AE-3 from my Wraith #1 and put it in. Bolted and stuck everything in place as well reinstalled the interior. It’s a good speed on 2s and wheelie popper on 3s. Now I need to back off of the drag brake so it won’t do stoppies each time I let off the throttle.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:51 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Front suspension topped out. Good to go. Now I want some droop and some sway bars to handle at a decent clip.

Brake Weight’s Twin Hammers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twin Hammers cage on SCX chassis bouncer conversion aka Bounce Hammers! mce076 1.9 Scale Rigs 36 07-25-2015 02:16 AM
Hammer Bros. Twin Hammers The_NightRider Vaterra Twin Hammers 5 04-08-2015 05:26 AM
Vaterra Twin Hammers KOH aka "Sledgehammer" the-gamer Vaterra Twin Hammers 39 12-06-2013 02:40 PM
Rckcrwlr is putting the Twin "Rck" Hammer down...time for some fun Rckcrwlr Vaterra Twin Hammers 2 02-20-2013 12:34 PM
Live weights vs static weights (aka bearings vs stick-ons) sim Newbie General 0 08-20-2009 08:30 PM