Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: 3s or motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2018, 10:56 AM   #1

Default 3s or motor

New to crawling, been in the hobby for 25+ years(mainly off road racing). So I am ordering a kit next week, and I have read lots of pages on this thing. I have seen some of you running a hotter motor and some running 3s lipo. So is there an upside to running 3s vs just running a hotter motor. I realize that with the smaller motor and us can back down to 2s and slow down. Any other pros or cons?
Dragaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 3s or motor

I don’t know if it is what many of the Twin Hammers guys do, but some regular crawler/ scaler guys definitely like to run a higher voltage, they have a saying ‘ volt up and gear down’
They can gear down there pinion and spur gears to enable great slow speed crawling ability and at the same time have a decent amount of wheel speed all with a single speed transmission.

I’m looking into a brushless set up for my TH and from what I have read a 3800 Kv or about 10.5 turn motor is plenty fast enough on 2S, some say too fast on 3S.
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #3

Makes sense, I have a gen 1 tekin 17.5, that I used to race in a sc spec class. Think I am going to run that, with the 2 speed tranny it should crawl great and if I have a need for speed, high gear with 3s it should fly.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:16 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I have done the same, got a 17.5t in mine, it’s slow on 2s but will crawl great, it’s maybe on par with the rtr brushed motor, possibly a tad slower, 3S is better speed in high gear but nothing like the 3800kv or 10.5t motors people are using.

It will be very tame with your 17.5t motor! Oh yeah I went up from the rtr 28t pinion to a 30t pinion as well.

It actually crawls pretty good in high gear with this motor.
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #5

Might need to buy a motor, I would like for it to be faster than the stock rtr, next motor I have might me a bit much it is 8.5 I used to run in my rc10 5b.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Good info already, but I always prefer 3S over 2S.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote