Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Just another Twin...nuttin' to see here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 11:02 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Just another Twin...nuttin' to see here

Got a fresh kit from my girlfriend for my birthday back in Januray. Been veeeery slowly putting this one together like I wished I had my last. All the fancy stuff.

Anywho, here's the parts list and a few progress pics. Nowhere near done...

Goodies-

-Twin Hammers kit

-Vanquish silver hood and roof light bar brackets

-Vanquish silver caster blocks and knuckles

-Vanquish silver trailing arms with Revo balls shimmed to fit and o-rings at the forward end to act as "wobble stoppers"

-RPM blue nylon Revo ends and hand polished 3/16" ti links throughout

-Ballstuds from a Traxxas Slash sway bar end link kit (TRA6895) at the knuckles to gain tire/wheel clearance, Axial thin M3 nuts (AXA1052) for jam nuts on the bottom

-Vanquish 1.9 Outlaw II wheels w/blue "Original" beadlock rings.

-Locked Up RC M3 threaded .185 hubs, M3x8 socket head cap screw wheel mounting hardware

-Axial 1.9 Ripsaws filled with CI Deuces Wild closed cells

-GCM upright tower/top plate

-Irie Products GCM compatible bell crank kit

-Hot Racing billet hinge pin brace

-Hot Racing billet clamping hex set

-Pro-Line Pro-Spec Scaler shocks: 90mm front, 110mm rear

-Vanquish silver SCX10 transmission case

-Billet Works Design (BWD) FOFF motor mount, reverse cut for mirrored transmissions

-Fast Eddy's M3x6x7 spacers

-Incision SCX10 slipper eliminator/top shaft

-Vanquish gun drilled chromoly idler gear shaft

-Incision SCX10 transmission gears

-Incision SCX10 transmission outputs

-Fast Eddy's SCX10 transmission bearing kit

-Traxxas #3956 54T Mod 0.8 spur gear

-Traxxas #3647 4mm flanged nuts- wheel nuts and used on transmission top shaft at slipper eliminator

Electronics-

-Castle Mamba X

-Castle Slate 3800KV

-Castle 10 amp BEC

-ProTek 370TBL "Black Label" servo with Exotek 25T 7075 Losi 22 servo horn (EXO1669)

Lots more to come...the parts list above will be updated as I go.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Last edited by 89redranger; 06-01-2019 at 12:36 AM.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Just another Twin...nuttin' to see here

Looking good young man!!! You always put together some nice looking trucks!
And by the way Brian, nice to see back on the site.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:44 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Looking good young man!!! You always put together some nice looking trucks!
And by the way Brian, nice to see back on the site.
Ernie
Thanks Ernie! Hope all is well with you buddy. Been a while...

My last rig would have been a nice rig had I waited to beat on it long enough to see the end result. Instead, I was building and driving at the same time and it just never left me with the satisfaction I thought I should have got out of it for the money and time invested. That's where this car comes in. Doing it my way the first time, taking my time, and I won't be driving it until it's actually FINISHED.

No rush, no compromises, no bullshit.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Like I said, looong slooow build...

Picked up some HR billet clamping hexes. Showed up this morning. Ordered an HR billet front hinge pin brace also, it'll be here in the morning.

Oh, also picked up a silver GCM tower and mounted a spare Irie bell crank kit to it. Never mind the springless Traxxas big bores. They're only there for mockup.

Need to do some cleanup...all this sitting has allowed the car to collect quite the dust mess.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
RCC Addict

My Hot Racing hinge pin brace showed up. Neat little piece really.

It's billet, so it won't break like the stock plastic unit. It replaces two parts with one, always a good idea. It offers more clearance from rocks due to a smaller outside profile. And lastly, it holds my hinge pins tight. No more spinning hinge pins to waller out the toe block. But, ream your a-arms or bind may occur.

10/10!

Old 07-25-2018, 08:35 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Slow but steady Brian!!!
Ernie
Old 07-25-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Slow but steady Brian!!!
Ernie
Yeah, well...we've also been a little preoccupied with our budget bush beaters.

And that's only going to get worse. Lift parts, tires, gears, and a few other goodies show up this coming week.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Making chiney parts...more chiney...

Waiting on drive shafts and some transmission parts...figure I may as well do something other than stare at it.

The GCM tower I picked up had been sitting on a garage shelf for a number of years before I bought it, though it had never been installed. These years of sitting amounted to some pretty wicked oxidation and some random "blowby" nastiness stuck to it. Figured I'd just give 'er the "Mothers and a buffball" treatment. Looks pretty good for about half an hour wrestling a cranky cordless drill with a f@wked up chuck.

Last edited by 89redranger; 08-06-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #9
RCC Addict

A little more progress. Or money spent. Either way, something's happening here.

Made some hex and CVD pins with my daughter from K&S 0.062" music wire and picked up some blue beadlock rings and silver light bar brackets from Vanquish.

Also grabbed some of the new and improved Incision SCX10 trans gears and matching outputs, a set of TLR shock shaft pliers, and a couple pairs of Pro-line's new Pro Spec Scaler shocks. 90-95mm for the front, 105-110s for the rear.

It's gonna take a trick or two to make these shocks work properly with the GCM tower, but I have something up my sleeve there. More later...

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #10
RCC Addict

As usual, I get myself into these predicaments where this doesn't work with that, or that doesn't work with this...90mm shocks + GCM tower...same story. But I knew this.

Anywho, after measuring and measuring I have concluded that the absolute ideal shock lengths for this GCM tower would end up around 82mm at full droop and 59mm at full stuff. Well, the PL shocks work out to 90mm and 64mm. But...with a little trimming of the threaded end of the shock shafts I can BARELY clear a rod end that is 5mm shorter than the shortest that was included. This gives me a drooped length of 85mm and a compressed length of 59mm. Dead-on on the full stuff side of things. A 3mm spacer under the shock piston to limit droop travel will get me where I want to be on the droop side.

Anywho, I whipped up some application specific rod ends that fix this issue, include an integrated spring cup, fit the proprietary 6mm diameter (8 and 6mm wide) Vaterra pivot balls, and I went ahead and made a version to replace the rear while I was at it.

So...trim the front shock shafts 2mm, install these on the front and rear shocks, pop in the pivot balls made FOR the car, and I'll be off to the races...or not.

Sorry for the crappy pictures of pictures. Lol. My computer and phone don't play nicely.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2019, 03:02 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Picked up some more Vanquish goodies to go with that beautiful gear set and outdrives I bought from them a while ago. Combined with the custom cut mirrored Billet Works Design FOFF motor mount, it really made for a slick trans setup. Now, I need to order some aluminum motor mount spacers to replace the plastic Axial units and order some 32P spurs.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2019, 10:26 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Picked up some more Vanquish goodies to go with that beautiful gear set and outdrives I bought from them a while ago. Combined with the custom cut mirrored Billet Works Design FOFF motor mount, it really made for a slick trans setup. Now, I need to order some aluminum motor mount spacers to replace the plastic Axial units and order some 32P spurs.

Looking good Brian!!! You are a slow but steady and efficient builder. Nice design work.

Ernie
Old 05-13-2019, 10:32 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Looking good Brian!!! You are a slow but steady and efficient builder. Nice design work.

Ernie
Thanks buddy.

Been at this one over a year.
Hit some snags, had it listed for sale, wouldn't let it go for $200 so it just sat...and sat. So lately I decided, screw it, I'm gonna finish it.

And here we are.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

That looks really good. Following this post since I'm a new TH owner myself. Not sure I'll go as far as you are but we'll see!
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Thanks buddy.

Been at this one over a year.
Hit some snags, had it listed for sale, wouldn't let it go for $200 so it just sat...and sat. So lately I decided, screw it, I'm gonna finish it.

And here we are.

Hey Brian, was wondering how much the axial tranny changes your final gear ratio?
Ernie
Old 05-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Hey Brian, was wondering how much the axial tranny changes your final gear ratio?

Ernie
It really depends on what you run for a pinion/spur. I've never personally used the two speed. I gear them just like any other Axial rig though...gear for motor temps. This rig will be getting a 3800KV motor on 3s. The extra voltage should make up for the lack of a "high gear" and a low pinion/spur ratio should still allow it to crawl well. So the extra voltage should provide the split that the original trans ratios used to...without all the parasitic losses, mechanical complexity, and slop.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:57 AM   #17
RCC Addict

So, I was kind of curious of the difference in ratios myself...

Stock Twin Hammers transmission ratios-

Internal low- 4.05:1

Internal high- 2.27:1

Stock spur and pinion- 78T/28T=2.786:1

Total transmission ratios-

Low- 11.283:1

High- 6.324:1

Axial ratios-

Axial Internal Ratio- 2.6:1

54/13 32P spur and pinion...a seemingly popular 32P combo for the SCX10 trans and my starting point for tuning once this rig is completed- 4.154:1

Total Axial Trans Ratio- 10.8:1

So, with this spur/pinion combo it will be just a touch taller geared than the stock low range. If I had to guess, even with a 3800kv motor on 3s, I may end up running a little taller gearing in the end. Maybe something like 52T spur/15T pinion (3.467:1, 9.014:1 total).

Last edited by 89redranger; 06-01-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:12 AM   #18
RCC Addict

While I'm here...I pulled the trigger on a ProTek 370TBL today. Also ordered an Exotek 7075 aluminum 25T servo horn spec'd for the Losi 22...a better version of the horn recommended for the Irie Products bell crank kit. Have a Castle 10 amp BEC sitting here ready to go in, and next I need to order my Mamba X/Slate motor.

Top shelf builds deserve top shelf electronics, right?
Old 06-01-2019, 10:49 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Old 06-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Got these GDS Racing drive shafts for my Twin Hammers today. Wasn't sure of their quality but took the gamble on them for $10.90 each. Overall the quality is awesome. And I love the fact that they are so slim and smooth.

But...they missed the mark on "phasing" the yokes. Each is just a few degrees off. Not sure what kind of, if any, vibrations this will cause but we'll see. My only other complaint is about the way they measure these. Most companies measure shaft lengths from the mounting pins/set screws. These are measured from the very ends of the yokes. As a result, my rear shaft is 10mm shorter than I thought. As a bonus, I thought I would have to do some trimming on the 70-80mm unit I ordered for the front but, it's almost dead-on where I wanted it.

So...I'll order a longer unit for the rear and save this 107-145mm unit as a backup. It will still work in the car, just has a little less slip spline engagement than I'd like. Only longterm testing will reveal the rest of what y'all will want to know.

BTW, these are not a direct bolt-in for a Twin Hammers...Vaterra's pinions and transmissions have short outputs with flats for set screws vs through holes and pin screws found on Axial's rigs...you will have to trim the little lip off the end of each yoke and use a single M4x4 set screw for mounting.

Just another Twin...nuttin' to see here - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nuttin Fancy Hilux JOHNSON! 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 03-09-2015 06:28 PM
001 Hulk's Xr10...... nuttin new 001Hulk Axial XR10 66 12-20-2012 09:22 AM
Project 'nuttin special norcallump 2.2 Scale Rigs 10 07-13-2011 09:59 AM