Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Front suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Front suspension

Just picked up a TH rtr for cheap and started doing a little research about the front suspension and steering. Looked through a lot of the post on here and see a bunch of the GCM suspension kit and a decent amount of the scorched parts kit. I’m sure it’s been asked but I didn’t really see an answer. Between the two has anyone tried both out and seen one to be clearly better than the other? If I do the scorched kit I know I may as well do his battery relocation kit and esc relocation kit. If I do GCM I know I also have to get the scorched bellcrank kit so cost ends up about the same either way. Hit me with your opinions or if there’s a post that already covers this let me know and I’ll keep digging to find it. Thanks!
Dhallmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Front suspension

A lot depends on how you plan to use the TH, and your driving style. I tried the GCM front plate and it felt front end heavy. It think it would be ideal for slow crawling, but did not feel right for the trailing and dune running I like to do. I ended up with the Scorched Parts steering conversion. I left the suspension stock except for using lighter oil in the shocks (35/15 weight, front/rear) and slightly softer springs (Losi whites) in the rear.
jgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhallmark View Post
Just picked up a TH rtr for cheap and started doing a little research about the front suspension and steering. Looked through a lot of the post on here and see a bunch of the GCM suspension kit and a decent amount of the scorched parts kit. I’m sure it’s been asked but I didn’t really see an answer. Between the two has anyone tried both out and seen one to be clearly better than the other? If I do the scorched kit I know I may as well do his battery relocation kit and esc relocation kit. If I do GCM I know I also have to get the scorched bellcrank kit so cost ends up about the same either way. Hit me with your opinions or if there’s a post that already covers this let me know and I’ll keep digging to find it. Thanks!
I haven't tried the Scorched but I run my TH in the 1.9IFS U4RC class and use the GCM front plate and shock towers. Great product that also allows me to mount my battery up front. I use the Sr Irie bell crank for the steering mod. Great setup for racing although probably a touch nose heavy with the Lipo up front.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
byrnieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I would say driving wise it will probably be more of a trail run/crawler use. I like what I’ve read about the scorched stuff pretty much just working without doing internal or external limiters and liked the fact that the suspension/steering were designed as a bolt and go system. I like crawling so I’m wondering how much better the GCM with the battery up front versus the scorched setup with the battery in the tub would do. Anyway, thanks for the input guys!
Dhallmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:47 PM   #5

Well, which way did you go?
Genghis Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:43 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'm in the middle of building a TH with the GCM setup and I've also got a Clone hammer waiting on me installed the scorched stuff so i should have a pretty decent basis for comparison.

I've never so much as driven the TH but its one of the builds that i'm doing that will come along with me on my RV travels - look forward to it.
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhallmark View Post
I would say driving wise it will probably be more of a trail run/crawler use. I like what I’ve read about the scorched stuff pretty much just working without doing internal or external limiters and liked the fact that the suspension/steering were designed as a bolt and go system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexleblanc View Post
I'm in the middle of building a TH with the GCM setup and I've also got a Clone hammer waiting on me installed the scorched stuff so i should have a pretty decent basis for comparison.

I've never so much as driven the TH but its one of the builds that i'm doing that will come along with me on my RV travels - look forward to it.
ScorchedRC seems like the best general setup that just works, doesn't add excess weight or move excess forces to other areas of the TH, plus he's been here on RCC helping lots.

Looking forward to seeing your TwinHammers for RV travels!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #8
RCC Addict

A bit off topic, but still TH front suspension related, has anyone laid eyes on the new front suspension canter levers?

Vaterra had to change them due to Traxxas Patent problems.

Anybody got a pic of the new part?
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:01 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I don't know anything about them. Maybe Rich Trujillo does?

Last edited by M1tch; 04-06-2019 at 12:57 PM.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:58 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Rich will know about them for sure! I was just wondering what the part looks like now?

Here is a link to the notice on horizon website https://www.horizonhobby.com/front-r...Atwh-vtr234004
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote

Front suspension - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front suspension range fluidking26 Axial Yeti 8 09-23-2018 03:42 PM
Front suspension indybama Axial SCX10 II 10 09-07-2018 08:25 PM
front suspension dcrou7 Tamiya XC/CC01 3 12-05-2012 01:21 AM
independent front suspension and front diff build canadian scx10 Axial SCX-10 1 02-13-2011 07:52 PM