Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: M1tch's Twin Hammers (about time too they say).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default M1tch's Twin Hammers (about time too they say).

M1tch's Twin Hammers (about time too they say).

I got this used off ebay a couple of weeks before Christmas. A strip down revealed a tired brushless motor, everything else was ok, just a bit scruffy and needed some loving.

I looked around for upgrade parts to get, mostly for steering and front suspension.

Picked up a Scorched parts rc steering, shock mount set up and rear upper link mount. Both are 3D printed and good quality.

After 1 run I swapped the esc and motor for a hobbywing 1080 and 45 turn Tekin brushed motor I have had sitting around for a while.

I cut the old battery tray down just to hold the esc.

Not much room for a receiver and BEC, so cut a piece of 2mm abs sheet to fit under the shift servo.

BEC is a No Brainer from Heyok set at 7 volts. The PowerHD servo seems ok at this voltage.

I made my own battery tray to sit on the left side using the old steering servo mounts and longer screws through the lower track arm mounts.

The tray is made from delrin. Machined the underside out because I could, no real reason to do it lol.

The screw holes were drilled 2.5mm and just longer screws used which tapped themselves into the bottom of the tray.

2 old body posts and another piece of delrin to hols battery in place. A 2200mah battery will fit in through the side window easily.

I didnt have short enough shocks to use the Scorched parts mounting position, so found this old shock mount off some buggy I used to race. Drilled a couple of holes to fit the mount.

95mm Gmade XD diapragm shocks with internal limiters. Couple of small 'O' rings under the piston.

2nd Drive out I lost part of the rear driveshaft. I replaced to whole thing with a Junfac from my pile of about 1000 of them.

Drove it a couple of times with the wheel/tires it came with, but the wheels are plastic and hexes on 2 of them were stripped when I got it.

I took the Gmade wheels and MT1904 tires off my K10 to try. The MT 1904's work well in the terrain I drive in.

]

More parts to modify the front suspension and diff arrived today. The locked front diff will be unlocked and will try some diff putty I got from RC Mart.

More to come soon.

Last edited by M1tch; 01-23-2019 at 05:20 PM.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: M1tch's Twin Hammers (about time too they say).

Nice! Beautiful view from your spot. That is a scorched parts front shock tower? Never seen that design before.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:20 PM   #3
RCC Addict

No, the Aluminum plate is off an old 1/8 buggy I used to race. I will get some more pics soon as got some work to do on it. Can't get out at the moment as I have a stinking cold, so doing rc stuff at home.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Got some parts in to run open front diff with putty.
The losi Rock/Baja Rey parts are the same and easier to get in the UK.

The diff putty is easy to use. Will see how well it works and if the steering improves.

The front end.

The 2 screws between the shocks are screwed into the Scorched parts steering/shock mount.

The Scorched parts mount is 3d printed and nicely done. The screws go though and there are recesses for M3 nuts
so no chance of stripping threads in the mount.

Limited the shocks with some O rings under the piston and above the bump stop.

The only thing I would like to do now is a bit more travel on the front. It's pretty good though as is.

Last edited by M1tch; 01-25-2019 at 11:26 AM.

M1tch's Twin Hammers (about time too they say). - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twin Hammers King of the Hammers build questions Genghis Ken Vaterra Twin Hammers 3 03-08-2018 03:51 PM
M1tch's Ascender arrives in the UK M1tch Vaterra Ascender 91 01-12-2018 09:57 AM
Twin Hammers cage on SCX chassis bouncer conversion aka Bounce Hammers! mce076 1.9 Scale Rigs 36 07-25-2015 02:16 AM
Twin Hammers Happy but not so happy at the same time angeloreyes27 Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 08-20-2013 06:23 AM