Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: New to Vaterra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2020, 12:17 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default New to Vaterra

What’s up everyone, just picked up a Twin Hammers from a fellow member. Added to my Wraith and Scx10.2
First Vaterra I’ve owned and first impression isn’t terrible. The rig I got turned out to be pretty well used so I’ve got some replacement parts in the mail. I’ve installed a 20t axial motor and junk brushed esc I had laying around. Waiting for some mounts to setup the steering servo. Doesn’t have the setup for shift servo so I’m not too worried about that right now. Swapped out the stock rear shocks for some stock scx10 shocks but looking forward to getting this thing going.
Came with a pinched cold buster body that needs some restoration, picked up some pieces for that, but saw a post about cutting up a stampede body.. and well I have 2 that don’t fit anything else I own so I may take a crack at that
Attached Images

Last edited by Fricker08; 03-03-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2020, 03:18 AM   #2

Default Re: New to Vaterra

I’ve had a twin hammers for about three years now. I think I went too big on the motor LOL I have a 1500 turn brushless in it. It’s not the most stable vehicle. But I think I found a new use for it. GCM makes a hoop shock mount conversion for the front suspension. Stock SCX 10II shocks work perfect on the front. It’s a work in progress, Check it out it’s pretty cool. I shortened the frame and put the front conversion on it. I have paddles for all four tires. I’m going to put a hard plastic bug body on it. Also I’m going to extend the rear suspension and also widen the front suspension. I’m making it a sand drag car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
b_fenske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:37 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The TH is a really nice, and underrated, platform. It does Ultra4 well, bashes well, and with the right setup can outcrawl almost anything due to it's very low CG and wide stance.

It does of course have some downfalls:

1) Stock steering sucks
2) Cantilever suspension is not fantastic
3) Suffers from some torque twist
4) Front driveshafts can be problematic under heavy load

All of these can be remedied with a variety of methods.

Welcome to the club!
Damatheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks guys, I’m excited to get this thing going. Waiting on some parts in the mail before I can though.
So I do know that it’s got the bell crank steering and wraith length trailing arms. I swapped in some stock scx10.2 shocks I had for the rear. I’ve been looking at doing an upright front shock mod but don’t really want to spend a ton more money on this thing.
I’ve got some old shock hoops laying around so I may try a mod I saw on here. I enjoy working on these things as much as driving so it’s been a good project so far
Old 03-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Well I finally got to drive this thing, I replaced the cage front bumper mounted a tactic servo out of my wraith that I upgraded to full metal gear. 20t axial motor with ae-5 esc and a little 3000mah 2s reedy lipo.

I have to say, it was a bit frustrating working on this car compared to everything I’ve ever owned. Getting the steering servo setup was a pita. Also the fact that they use 3 1mm screws on the transmission absolutely drove me crazy. Couldn’t find a wrench anywhere and ended up sanding a 1.5 and struggled to get those screws out. Luckily a local Ace had replacements with a 1.5mm head.

The stock “25t” servo horn does not fit a 25t servo. Had to get creative on a couple things but I can say it does all work like it should.

Not really sure this things for me, You might find it in the classifieds soon.
Trying to decide if I should spend the time trying to restore the body or cut my losses and let the next guy mess with it
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2020, 04:27 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

You use some thin cardboard or some card stock paper and make some mock up panels. Then transpose that onto something else for panels: 16oz cans, lexan from fleaBay, etc.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:11 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
You use some thin cardboard or some card stock paper and make some mock up panels. Then transpose that onto something else for panels: 16oz cans, lexan from fleaBay, etc.
Yea, it came with a pinched Clod body. In the pictures I thought it looked pretty cool. But it’s pretty beat. For the money I spent on supplies to repair it, I should have just bought a new cab and pinched it myself, Then made it fit.
Right now I’m looking at sectioning 1/2” out of the middle to tighten it up so it sits right and can still steer
Old 03-03-2020, 05:38 PM   #8

I always go to national hardware for all of my screws for RC vehicles. They have the biggest selection super cheap bulk prices. They are on Blackstone and Spruce right on the corner.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Well I finally got around to working on the body for this thing, got 1/2” cut out of the middle, trimmed and sectioned some stuff to fit. Getting ready to make some backing panels and get to glueing this thing back together. I was going to paint it but I have some carbon fiber vinyl laying around so I think I’ll wrap it and go from there.
Attached Images

Last edited by Fricker08; 03-15-2020 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:45 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Not sure how I feel about it. Probably should have painted it and bought some better body filler
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2020, 02:31 AM   #11

Hey that’s really cool! I like that a lot.

Old 03-16-2020, 02:43 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

That came out good. Personally, I like the beat up body. Maybe a coat of primer and leave it be.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:33 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Changed things up a little, trimmed a Chevy proline stampede body to fit. Have some wheel extenders in the mail so I can keep the front fenders. Tried to save the clod body but it was rough.
Decided to throw some more parts at this thing then it’s gonna go up on the auction block.
I have a 2 speed setup in the mail including a hitec mighty mini servo and tactic 3 channel radio. Some 90mm shocks and a plate of 1/8” aluminum to try and make an upright shock tower. Also picked up a 30t pinion to try and get a little more speed out of the 20T brushed motor. Swapped out the ae-5 for a brushed esc with freewheel instead of drag brake.
Attached Images

Last edited by Fricker08; 04-26-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Well here’s the start to my super budget upright shock mod.
I just pulled all the cantilever stuff off, left the manta steering upper plate and did a little fab work with 1/8 aluminum plate and a dremel.

I should have got 80mm shocks instead of 90mm but I’m going to limit them internally for now. I’m going to clean up the tower and give it some cutouts for aesthetics

Sorry for the sideways pics, I can’t sort it out
Attached Images

Last edited by Fricker08; 04-29-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:01 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Make the bracket a little taller and move the mount holes higher.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:18 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Default New to Vaterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Make the bracket a little taller and move the mount holes higher.

Yea I just didn’t want to shocks sticking up to the moon. I regulated the travel internally with a rubber spacer I had, and put some shorter rod ends on. It sits nice and uses the exact travel of the arm, so I’m good with it.

I’m planning on running the red Chevy body and it fits under it without cutting holes in the hood.

Attached Images

Last edited by Fricker08; 04-29-2020 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Well here’s the start to my super budget upright shock mod.
I just pulled all the cantilever stuff off, left the manta steering upper plate and did a little fab work with 1/8 aluminum plate and a dremel.

I should have got 80mm shocks instead of 90mm but I’m going to limit them internally for now. I’m going to clean up the tower and give it some cutouts for aesthetics

Sorry for the sideways pics, I can’t sort it out
I just joined and saw your Scorched Parts steering from Shapeways. Their parts seem a little pricey, but what about the shipping and handling from England? Was it expensive too? There isn't a lot to work with anymore. Most upgrade parts have dried up. Mine has a stock one-piece body and I don't want to have to butcher the hood for parts that stick up high if I don't have to.
Is there an explanation on how to post pics? Thanks.

Last edited by kodakjack; 02-26-2021 at 07:55 PM.
kodakjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:37 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Hey sorry man I just saw this, so I got this thing second hand.. I have no idea where the steering and all that came from. I built the shock tower and kind of restored it a little then sold it off about a year ago

Old 03-02-2021, 04:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Hey sorry man I just saw this, so I got this thing second hand.. I have no idea where the steering and all that came from. I built the shock tower and kind of restored it a little then sold it off about a year ago

OK, thanks.
kodakjack is offline   Reply With Quote

New to Vaterra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Vaterra.... 666 General Crawlers 134 02-12-2014 12:03 AM