RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vendors Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vendors-electronics/)
-   -   Brake, Reverse and Driving Light controller $30 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vendors-electronics/311143-brake-reverse-driving-light-controller-%2430.html)

heyok 04-12-2011 03:08 PM

Brake, Reverse and Driving Light controller $30

An easy way to add more realism to your scaler.

I realize that not everyone wants turn signals on their rig, but brake lights and reverse lights are used on most vehicles.

This is a circuit that I have built for a few customers as an enhancement to their custom lighting. It's now in a form that will let you easily add brake lights, and reverse lights and there is also an output for running driving lights.

http://i.imgur.com/YqlvJ10.jpg

See it in action on my "paper model"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejINF8Thiug

This is a small controller that you "wedge" into CH2 between your receiver and your ESC. There are four servo plugs on its output to plug into your lighting.
  • Brake Output:
This is kind of clever. When the brakes aren't on, the brake lights glow dimly to mimic tail lights. The brakes are on when the throttle control is in neutral.
Uses the connector labeled BRK
  • Reverse Output:
When you push on the throttle control to go backwards, this will supply power to the reverse lights.
Uses the connector labeled REV
  • Driving Output:
When you pull on the throttle to move forward, this output turns on. Maybe connect it to a set of high beams or driving lights or a light bar.
Uses the connector labeled FWD
  • Always On Output:
Just what it sounds like. This output will always have power when your receiver has power.

Part no. BKFWRV Selling price: $30
This is for the controller only, it doesn't include any lights.

mikeman84 04-12-2011 04:04 PM

That would be sweet on my scaler. How much are you asking for one?

JeremyH 04-12-2011 04:20 PM

That is too cool!!!

brazwewn 04-12-2011 04:24 PM

This is really cool. I am building a class 3 rig and might need one of these. I run my lights off a small BEC, would I still be able to use the BEC with this?

Wes

sabohead 04-12-2011 04:59 PM

I am a lil confused as to the wiring. The only open "port" is ch 3 on my rec. Maybe I am just off today? I would like to know how much. Also IF I dont have any other lighting sys. can I still use this setup? Nice work btw!!

thetechie01 04-12-2011 07:03 PM

Dude! That is amazing. How much you want to make some more of these up?

heyok 04-12-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeman84 (Post 3039822)
That would be sweet on my scaler. How much are you asking for one?

Thanks!
I'm still trying to come up with a price. Should know sometime tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyH (Post 3039847)
That is too cool!!!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by brazwewn (Post 3039855)
This is really cool. I am building a class 3 rig and might need one of these. I run my lights off a small BEC, would I still be able to use the BEC with this?

Wes

This system is set up to run from the power that feeds your receiver. If you don't mind messing around a little bit, you could run it from a separate power source.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabohead (Post 3039919)
I am a lil confused as to the wiring. The only open "port" is ch 3 on my rec. Maybe I am just off today? I would like to know how much. Also IF I dont have any other lighting sys. can I still use this setup? Nice work btw!!

Thanks!
This controller doesn't touch CH3, unless that is the channel that you use for throttle.
What you do is unplug the ESC from your receiver and plug the controller in its place. The ESC then plugs into the controller. The controller is watching the throttle signal to know if you are going forward or reverse or stopped, and just passes the throttle signal along to the ESC.
Hope I explained that so it could be understood. If that wasn't clear, I can make a picture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetechie01 (Post 3040124)
Dude! That is amazing. How much you want to make some more of these up?

Thank you!
I will have the pricing done soon.

The lighting I show in the pictures was just to show an example of how things can be connected.
I was trying to come up with a modular system. This is just the braking/rev/fwd circuit. Get your own LEDs - or ask me to put some together for you to add to it - I'm happy to supply them.

I'm thinking that some of you with lights already installed might want to add this controller to their rig, so I want to ask:
Does it make the most sense to use the servo style connectors for attaching lights?

Would you prefer wire pig tales?

Would you accept the servo style connections knowing that you can also order compatible lighting from me (or from others)?

Thanks in advance for your input.

brazwewn 04-12-2011 09:50 PM

I prefer pig tails, since I solder everything in. I only use one connector to get the body off. I would just cut off the servo leads and throw them in my scrap bag. That's just me though.

Wes

thetechie01 04-12-2011 10:15 PM

Yeah, I think I would be in for the pigtails too. The connectors you have are great, just would like the ability to do other things with it.

heyok 04-13-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brazwewn (Post 3040526)
I prefer pig tails, since I solder everything in. I only use one connector to get the body off. I would just cut off the servo leads and throw them in my scrap bag. That's just me though.

Wes

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetechie01 (Post 3040561)
Yeah, I think I would be in for the pigtails too. The connectors you have are great, just would like the ability to do other things with it.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I will stick to using the servo wire connectors for now. As was said, you can always cut them off or I can supply the mating connectors. Or, you can make a special request if you decide to order.

heyok 04-13-2011 06:47 AM

Pricing!

These things are a bit of a PITA to make, but what the heck!

I will start selling these for $30. If it becomes too much of a burden to make them, I might raise the price, but let's give this a try.

ROLANDROCKSHOP 04-13-2011 04:02 PM

very nice!! "thumbsup"
simple and clean.

ill be getting some from ya soon.

david_387 04-18-2011 06:21 PM

nice LED system u made.
well, for this Light Controller, we just plug in our ESC to the ESC which come from this Light Controller. and plug CH2 wire to our th which is from our receiver."thumbsup" am I correct now?
I have another question for LED lights.
How many LED lights we can run for FWD, REV, BRK?
and do I need any resister for it if I wire LED lights by myself and connect to ur Light Controller?

david_387 04-18-2011 06:22 PM

nice....should have a set of it"thumbsup"

heyok 04-18-2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david_387 (Post 3049860)
nice LED system u made.
well, for this Light Controller, we just plug in our ESC to the ESC which come from this Light Controller. and plug CH2 wire to our th which is from our receiver."thumbsup" am I correct now?

I think you have it!

Quote:

I have another question for LED lights.
How many LED lights we can run for FWD, REV, BRK?
and do I need any resister for it if I wire LED lights by myself and connect to ur Light Controller?
Each output can provide 200mA
If your LEDs run at 10mA then you can run 20 LEDs per output. If your LEDs use 20mA then you could run 10 per output.

Yes, you need to use a resistor on your LEDs
"thumbsup"

david_387 04-20-2011 02:22 AM

well, do I need to wire resister for each LED light?
and is it ok to power 3s 11.1 lipo because I run 11.1 lipo for my rig now.

heyok 04-20-2011 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david_387 (Post 3052455)
well, do I need to wire resister for each LED light?
and is it ok to power 3s 11.1 lipo because I run 11.1 lipo for my rig now.

Yes, a resistor per LED is best.
The idea is that if you have a set of LED lights that are made to run from receiver voltage, you can now plug them into this controller instead of the receiver to make them work.

This circuit takes power from your receiver, so it runs from whatever BEC you are already using.

david_387 04-21-2011 04:14 PM

okok...I understand now.
well, could u tell me what kinds of resister u used for that LED?
sorry man....I don't really know about the electronic stuff especially for resister:cry:

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyok (Post 3052573)
Yes, a resistor per LED is best.
The idea is that if you have a set of LED lights that are made to run from receiver voltage, you can now plug them into this controller instead of the receiver to make them work.

This circuit takes power from your receiver, so it runs from whatever BEC you are already using.

heyok 04-21-2011 04:15 PM

I will send you a PM and see if we can find a way to get you what you need.

squatch71 04-21-2011 09:57 PM

you like to tinker....I like that....

very cool product, might be in the market for something like that.