Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market > Vendors Electronics

Notices

Thread: RC Lighting Control Using External Power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default RC Lighting Control Using External Power

Maybe someone can help me come up with a better name for this one!

I see that some of you are adding some cool light systems that run on 12 volts.

Maybe you want to be able to turn these on and off using your transmitter. I've been selling the Remote Switch For LED Lighting but that only lets you power your lighting using the voltage from the receiver.
If you wanted to run an external battery so that you could run a different voltage to the lights or just didn't want to load down the supply that powers your receiver and servos, you were out of luck.

The part I am showing in the picture at the top of this page lets you turn your lighting on and off and run it from another power supply.

You could connect a small battery pack consisting of two AA cells or a 9V (I don't recommend using a 9V battery) or a two, three or even a four cell lipo pack - whatever your lighting system needs to operate.

The component that takes care of the power switching is rated to accept 24 volts max and if it had a proper heat sink, more than 20 Amps.
Due to the lack of heat sink and the gauge of the wires used for the build, I would suggest that you keep the load to less than 10 amps or the wires might turn into a mess!

Part No. RCSW1EXT $23 plus shipping.

Same part, but with a double Deans style plug for power input:
Part No. RCSW1EXTDD $26 plus shipping.

Last edited by heyok; 07-22-2017 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Photobucket support over, switching to imgur
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Just to give you a better idea of how things connect together, have a look at this picture and short youtube video.

Note that on my servo tester I have a servo attached to the same channel as the lighting controller. In the video I turn the knob which makes the servo move and also causes the lighting circuit to turn on and off.

Here is the lighting controller connected to my servo tester, a 3S Lipo and a brake light from a 1:1 vehicle.

RC Controllers Lighting Switch - External Power - YouTube

Last edited by heyok; 10-21-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: still learning to spell
Old 12-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Got two of these in today! This is absolutely perfect set up for running the new MadDogRC lights which works best powered straight from 3s power.

Al is working on a custom piece also we were discussing via PM that will even add some more and better options.......stay tuned
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ View Post
Got two of these in today! This is absolutely perfect set up for running the new MadDogRC lights which works best powered straight from 3s power.

Al is working on a custom piece also we were discussing via PM that will even add some more and better options.......stay tuned
Here it is:
4 Position Dual Powered Dual RC Switch
Old 02-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: RC Lighting Control Using External Power

I wired up my GTP-2e with this switch. 11.1v turned on and off thru the 3rd channel.
Thanks again!

Check out this video on YouTube:

GTP-2e lights heyok 11.1v switch harness - YouTube
Jstall7543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for sharing

Those lights are great!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Here is another customer video with the product in use:
Tamiya F350 Verlichting - YouTube
Old 11-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
I joined the Band!

HeyOk,
I am currently using your "External Powered RC Light Controller" And love it. Ordered a second for my next project.
But I do have a question that several Searchs of the internet cant find the answer.
My currant setup is:
3S 350ma remote battery pack to
Remote switch harness split at output one side to MadDog 4" LED and other to Castle BEC to drop voltage to
Axial Simple Light Controller that powers the stock lights on my Wraith.
Can I eliminate the BEC and run the 12v direct to the Axial Simple light controller or will it go PUFF! And release the smoke in it?

Last edited by Cpt Nemo; 11-08-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Cpt Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Good to read that you are using my controller!

To me it looks like the Axial Simple light controller normally plugs into the receiver to get its power which tells me it is looking for 5 to 6 volts. Running it from a BEC as you are is a good idea. I don't really know if it will survive 3S Lipo voltage. Did the Axial Simple light controller come with any paper work? If so, it might tell you the max voltage it will take, or maybe you could write Axial and ask? Either way, if you find out, could you post up here?

Thanks!
Al
Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #10

I'm thinking more like old school, with a slide switch for a light bar, head lights, park lights, back of cab side lights, tail lights, backup lights with their own battery (what size I don't know), they're all LEDs, do you have something for that??
Paul58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul58 View Post
I'm thinking more like old school, with a slide switch for a light bar, head lights, park lights, back of cab side lights, tail lights, backup lights with their own battery (what size I don't know), they're all LEDs, do you have something for that??
Are you asking me for a mechanical switch or a remote controlled switch like I have in this thread?
Old 01-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #12

I meant a mechanical like with my finger, radio doesn't have the capability. or don't think so,it's the rtr radio???
Old 01-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul58 View Post
I meant a mechanical like with my finger, radio doesn't have the capability. or don't think so,it's the rtr radio???
I will send you a PM and see if I can help you.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #14

send again I lost it i'm not computer savvy either
Old 01-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Question Re: RC Lighting Control Using External Power

Hello Al, I got my Lighting Control the other day but haven't installed it yet. Thanks for the fast shipping as usual
I have a question for you that might have already been discussed, but I haven't seen it if it has. I have been wondering if you can make your Controls in a flat, or more rectangular shape? It would make it much more easier to fit in smaller places. Even in a stick shape would be good. What do you think?
TJ Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Steve View Post
Hello Al, I got my Lighting Control the other day but haven't installed it yet. Thanks for the fast shipping as usual
I have a question for you that might have already been discussed, but I haven't seen it if it has. I have been wondering if you can make your Controls in a flat, or more rectangular shape? It would make it much more easier to fit in smaller places. Even in a stick shape would be good. What do you think?
In my quest to make things as small as possible and waterproof, what you have seen is what I have come up with. I hear you though. Next time I build some, I will see if I can find a way to make them flat.

Appreciate the feedback!
Al
Old 12-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #17
RCC Addict

dumb question, I'm running crawelrdad led headlights and light bar and am working on rock lights currently powered by a seperate 3s lipo. I made my own y-cable with connectors to unplug the light bar or headlights independant or run both at the same time, but would I need 3 of these controllers to be able to turn on/off headlights, light bar, and rock lights independant but still all run at the same time if i so chose?

i'm looking to get Losikids flysky 6 channel setup rather than reaching under manually and unplugging lights
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

That's a good question!

Do you have enough channels to run three controllers?

This will get you down to using two channels...You could use something like one of these:
Dual RC Switch for LED lighting or ?
but I would have to modify it for external power. That will let you run two lights. To run the third, use the part talked about in this thread.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #19

I am wanting to get one of the external powered kits for my rc4wd light bar. I am currently using a servo as a remote to turn them on and off from my third channel. Is your externally powered kit in the first post a combo of your controller and splitter allow me to use my third channel to still turn them on and off or would i also need one of your light controllers? My servo i used as the controller is a low voltage so it would make getting your setup pointless unless i was able to remove my own controller.
Snowtrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:46 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Hi,
Thanks for checking out my electronics!
Quote:
Is your externally powered kit in the first post a combo of your controller and splitter allow me to use my third channel to still turn them on and off or would i also need one of your light controllers?
I'm not sure I understand all of what you wrote there, but probably you want to know if you need anything else to switch power to a load from your remote control.

That part is all you need.

Plug it into a spare channel in your receiver.
Connect the controller to some power (keep it under about 20 volts).
Connect your lights to the output.
Operate that channel to turn the load on and off. That channel moving from -100% to +100 % will turn the light on and off.

Tags
light, lighting, power, remote, switch