Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market > Vendors Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4 Wheel Steering Controller - controlled by a two position third channel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 4 Wheel Steering Controller - controlled by a two position third channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean View Post
Yes I think so. So with that setup on a 3ch system, I still get no simultaneous steering/winching.
Like I said, it remembers what mode the steering is in. Flip the toggle to winch control and you can still steer and now CH3 is running the winch.
Quote:
And I'm not completely clear even what the 3rd channel does on the dx3s when not bound to ch1... I think it is just for two position servo control, just like on the traxxas tqi 3ch radios. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, it will do 2 position servo control - like maybe shift a transmission or run my two position winch controller or two position 4WS controller!
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Default Re: 4 Wheel Steering Controller - controlled by a two position third channel

I understand. I need to be able to steer and winch at the same time though.
I'll probably just hack a wireless controller into the dx3s, adding a pseudo 4th channel.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I understand. I need to be able to steer and winch at the same time though.
I'll probably just hack a wireless controller into the dx3s, adding a pseudo 4th channel.
Whatever works for you, but how are you not able to steer and winch at the same time?
Old 11-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #24
RCC Addict

If I have to switch off the steering to control the winch I cannot then make the steering and the winch move at the same time.
Does that make sense?
Old 11-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Nope.

CH1 is still feeding the front servo and the 4WS controller is still in the mode that was last selected therefore the rear servo will operate.
It would be correct to say that you can't change 4WS mode when you have the winch selected.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #26
RCC Addict

So in this case the front steering will be moving in sync with the winch as you turn the wheel for extend/retract...
Old 11-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So in this case the front steering will be moving in sync with the winch as you turn the wheel for extend/retract...
Aha!
We are looking at this from different directions.
I'm assuming that CH3 from the receiver feeds a toggle switch. One output of the switch goes to the control input of the 4WS controller and the other output of the switch goes to the winch controller.

Anyway, the point is that CH3 is what is being switched. CH1 is always feeding the steering servo(s). CH3 will work the winch or change the 4WS mode.

You can still work the throttle and steering as you push the button for CH3 to wind the winch in and out and make it stop.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Ok gotcha.
My whole intent is that I don't want my steering to have unwanted movement while I am winching. I wold also like to retain the ability to have steering function while reeling in the winch line.
Maybe I need a 4pl.

Last edited by gbean; 11-11-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ok gotcha.
My whole intent is that I don't want my steering to have unwanted movement while I am winching.
Is keeping the steering wheel still on your remote an option that would take care of that need?
Quote:
I wold also like to retain the ability to have strong function while reeling in the winch line.
I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Strong function of what?

Quote:
Maybe I need a 4pl.
That's a beautiful radio!

More channels are always attractive. Have you checked out the modified GT3B or GT3C?
Old 11-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #30
RCC Addict

I've been focusing on my options with the radio I have for now.
(I edited strong to steering - autocorrect....)
Old 11-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

I must be having trouble with too much cold medication or something. Not understanding you. Seems to be a contradiciton here.

Do we agree that you are still able to steer when the winch is being used when using the toggle to select between operating the winch or the 4WS mode?
Old 11-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Yes, but the input used to make the winch function needs to be independent of the input for the steering.
I think what I was understanding is that the front steering would remain active while turning the wheel to reel in and let out the winch.
Now it sounds like both steering servos would be disconnected while winching.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

CH3 alone works the winch using one of these:
Winch Controller for Radio with 2 Position Third Channel
Old 11-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Maybe a schematic could help. In any case I think I will need a 4ch tx to have truly independent 4ws and an independent winch.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Maybe a schematic could help. In any case I think I will need a 4ch tx to have truly independent 4ws and an independent winch.
maybe that would help

yes, for independ control, you need more channels. I was under the impression we were trying to do more with less.

time for me to get back to work.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #36
RCC Addict

My original question was asking if you thought your product could replace the idea of hacking an RC4WD wireless winch controller
Into my tx with this item you have here.

I was just trying to look at your stuff as an option for a phantom 4th channel.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
My original question was asking if you thought your product could replace the idea of hacking an RC4WD wireless winch controller
Into my tx with this item you have here.

I was just trying to look at your stuff as an option for a phantom 4th channel.
Gbean,
I've completed the conversion you are talking about. I have a Heyok relay winch controller for a servo winch and a Heyok 4ws (for 2 pos 3rd channel). I have a flysky GT3b. I didn't want to hack it to get an extra channel. I set mine up to use a toggle switch to go between the steering and the winch. The switch is on the truck. I figured since I have to go get the winch line I could flip the switch when I go to the truck. Then when I run the winch line back in, I flip the switch back to 4ws control. Yes the steering still works while I'm winching in. I have mine setup to switch where the 3rd channel goes to. Heyok is right, whatever mode you are in on the steering controller stays when you switch over to the winch controller. Channel 1 is always feeding the steering controller so you can steer independently of what the winch is doing.
Here is how I wired it. It took a lot of troubleshooting to get to this point.

The Heyok controller is awesome. The trim and endpoint adjustments work great and it has been really functioning well. Here is a link to my test run with the controller. I didn't use my winch in this vid but I've done what you are looking to do.

Brushless Axial Wringo testing 4ws conversion with new Heyok Controller - YouTube

Hope this helps.

Dna
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:47 PM   #38

Smile Re: 4 Wheel Steering Controller - controlled by a two position third channel

I have a Traxxis qti controller its a 5 channel with a 3 position toggle on top for channel 4 and channel 5 i was wondering if you could build me a switcher that i can hook up to both channels and operate my rear steering from there my 3 rd channel is a 2 position toggle as well. i would be happy to give more details if you can do it or maybe i should say are willing to build it. i will be happy to talk on the phone if you pm me i will send my number and be happy to explain what function i have now in each position and what effect it has on my truck.
rockracer Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:13 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockracer Tn View Post
I have a Traxxis qti controller its a 5 channel with a 3 position toggle on top for channel 4 and channel 5 i was wondering if you could build me a switcher that i can hook up to both channels and operate my rear steering from there my 3 rd channel is a 2 position toggle as well. i would be happy to give more details if you can do it or maybe i should say are willing to build it. i will be happy to talk on the phone if you pm me i will send my number and be happy to explain what function i have now in each position and what effect it has on my truck.
Send me a PM when you get a chance and I will do my best to help.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:02 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

To run this, does it require a bec for ch1 and ch3? What would the schematic look like? I previously was running a bec through y-harness on ch1 and no other electronics such as winch or lights.
spankbomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4ws, controler, electronic, four wheel steering

4 Wheel Steering Controller - controlled by a two position third channel - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winch Controller for Radio with 2 Position Third Channel heyok Vendors Electronics 121 05-19-2020 03:08 PM
No Drift Winch Controller! (using 3 position transmitter channel) heyok Vendors Electronics 239 12-12-2017 06:04 AM
4 Wheel Steering Controller heyok Vendors Electronics 28 08-02-2014 05:27 PM
MOA Dig Controller for Two Position Channel heyok Vendors Electronics 26 03-24-2014 12:38 PM
Should I build a 4 Wheel Steering Controller? heyok Electronics 34 09-24-2012 03:49 PM