Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market > Vendors Electronics

Notices

Thread: RAPTOR Scale Light Controller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default RAPTOR Scale Light Controller

Hello RCCrawler enthusiasts!

My scale light controller has passed final stages of testing and I'm now ready for release!

I've been designing, building and selling light controllers for R/C models here in Italy for some years now, and I put all my experience in the designing of the RAPTOR.

I guess it can be considered one of the most advanced R/C light controllers available at present day.

The unit is really small (only 34x28x11 mm) and can easily be configured to suit your needs.

It will read the throttle signal from your receiver and synchronize brake lights, reverse lights and 4-way blinkers to the movements of your rig.

Using another channel of your receiver (switch operated, two- or three-position), it will enable you to remotely control the lights of your model!

It can be configured to drive the brake and reverse light according to smart-brake or drag-brake speed controllers.

It allows You to select a "modern" light system with "xenon effect" headlamps (when you switch on your headlights, they will flash and then gradually increase their intensity) or a "old" light system with traditional lamps that will slightly dim when engine is idling (neutral throttle).

After about 30 seconds of neutral throttle, 4-way blinkers are activated automatically, and they will turn off immediately when the throttle is operated.

Every output features an onboard mounted resistor to semplify LED wiring.

Every unit is carefully assembled and tested before shipping.

Here are the package contents:
  • RAPTOR light controller board
  • 2x cables to connect the board to your receiver
  • 2x11 male pin header where to wire your LEDs

LEDs and LED cables are NOT included.

Further information and details can be found in the RAPTOR User Manual

Here you can watch a short video of the RAPTOR light controller installed in a customer's truck, configured with normal lamps and smart-brake behavior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDIBCTfDiyI

Price for one controller, with receiver cables and male pin header is 50$ plus shipping.

International shipping (I live in Italy) via Registered Mail costs 20$.

PM me for information about faster shipping (EMS)

Last edited by tHeo; 11-13-2013 at 04:54 AM.
tHeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RAPTOR Scale Light Controller

Very cool! How water resistant is it?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Very cool! How water resistant is it?
Thanks!

If you mask the connection pins where the receiver cables plug, and the outputs, you can spray the whole board with some waterproofing product
Old 12-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
20K Club

Nice product sir, welcome to being a vendor!

I'm going to look into a light controller soon for the Axial JK project.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Very nice. Looks like something I could use.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

very interested!
krawlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thank you for your interest!

The first batch of controllers is soon to be ready for purchase!

While you wait...dont miss entering our first GIVEAWAY here: the End-of-the-World RAPTOR Scale Light Controller GIVEAWAY!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Does it turn on the indicator blinker when you make a left or right turn??
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Awesome for sure! This would go great in my upcoming class 1 rig..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

That's a nice set up.
ickabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgout View Post
Does it turn on the indicator blinker when you make a left or right turn??
No, the indicators are activated all together (as 4-way blinkers) and only when the transmitter is in neutral throttle for at least 30 seconds.

At the beginning of the design stage I had to choose which features and functions to put in the Raptor; given that the chip (the electronic "brain" of the controller) has a limited and fixed number of pins (connections), every additional channel of the receiver would occupy a pin that would no more be available for a light function.

Considering the fact that on the trail you hardly use indicator blinkers, I choose to only read the throttle channel and an additional one for remote switching of the lights, no steering channel is read.

Thank you
Old 12-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #12
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHeo View Post
No, the indicators are activated all together (as 4-way blinkers) and only when the transmitter is in neutral throttle for at least 30 seconds.

At the beginning of the design stage I had to choose which features and functions to put in the Raptor; given that the chip (the electronic "brain" of the controller) has a limited and fixed number of pins (connections), every additional channel of the receiver would occupy a pin that would no more be available for a light function.

Considering the fact that on the trail you hardly use indicator blinkers, I choose to only read the throttle channel and an additional one for remote switching of the lights, no steering channel is read.

Thank you

Sounds like a solid mentality.

Question, for the LED's what is needed for resistors inline? Anything?
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

someone in the USA needs to pick up a large quantity of these and sell them here so we can get these without expensive shipping....and this guy would be able to sell more as well... If I had a store I would carry these in a heartbeat. very nice product and very nice demo video!!
discgolferlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Sounds like a solid mentality.

Question, for the LED's what is needed for resistors inline? Anything?
Thank you!

No resistors are needed.

Each output has a series resistor built in, so you just have to wire the LEDs in parallel and then run two cables to the male connector that is included in the package.

All resistors are 180ohm except the one in series to the AUXILIARY LIGHTS output, that sports a 100ohm resistor.

This means you can power 1 or 2 LEDs from each output (up to 4 if they are red or yellow LEDs since they need less power) and 2 to 5 LEDs from the AUX LIGHTS output, thus enabling the use of lightbars.

STILL, every output is driven by a buffer that can handle up to 200mA; that means 10 (TEN) LEDs at maximum efficiency for EACH output...given that your BEC has enough power

If you have any experience in soldering, and wish to use more LEDs, you can remove the resistors and bypass them, and wire smaller ones elsewhere along the LED cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolferlee View Post
someone in the USA needs to pick up a large quantity of these and sell them here so we can get these without expensive shipping....and this guy would be able to sell more as well... If I had a store I would carry these in a heartbeat. very nice product and very nice demo video!!
I already thought about that, but I wasn't sure if I should have asked some of the vendors on here about that possibility. Thanks
Old 12-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHeo View Post
... you just have to wire the LEDs in parallel and then run two cables to the male connector that is included in the package.

All resistors are 180ohm except the one in series to the AUXILIARY LIGHTS output, that sports a 100ohm resistor.

This means you can power 1 or 2 LEDs from each output (up to 4 if they are red or yellow LEDs since they need less power) and 2 to 5 LEDs from the AUX LIGHTS output, thus enabling the use of lightbars.

STILL, every output is driven by a buffer that can handle up to 200mA; that means 10 (TEN) LEDs at maximum efficiency for EACH output...given that your BEC has enough power.
So, given that the resistance is fixed for each output, how can I adjust the internal voltage to adapt the individual output currents?

The tail lights might for example want 30mA @ 5.6V while the headlights need 120mA @ 3.2V.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:51 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
So, given that the resistance is fixed for each output, how can I adjust the internal voltage to adapt the individual output currents?

The tail lights might for example want 30mA @ 5.6V while the headlights need 120mA @ 3.2V.
You do not need to do so. Most LEDs take up to 20mA but they make excellent light already at 10mA, and at 5mA it's still quite good (for red, yellow, and orange LEDs).

180ohm has proved to be the perfect choice as an inline resistor for 1 or 2 LEDs wired in parallel and powered from 5-6 Volts.

This is a customer's truck with the RAPTOR controller installed. the roof lights are wired to the AUXILIARY LIGHTS output (100ohm resistor for 4-5 LEDs); no modifications to the standard configuration of the resistors have been made.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #17

Looks pretty sweet!
DBARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

don't know how I missed this...

very nice!
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I bought 2 and I'm very happy with them. Easy Installation as described!
Rockatanski is offline   Reply With Quote

RAPTOR Scale Light Controller - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brake Light Controller with Head Light Output heyok Vendors Electronics 8 09-04-2012 05:02 PM
PunkRC SCALE Micro Light Controller - Video PunkRC Electronics 41 10-17-2010 08:26 PM
PunkRC Light Controller PunkRC Electronics 13 01-29-2009 08:33 AM