Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market > Vendors Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4 Amp Relay Output Winch Controller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 4 Amp Relay Output Winch Controller

K3 with this 3ch relay spektrum tx/rx the winch keeps glitching in and out. while the hook was on my bumper it pulled in and snapped the line that came on it. how do i stop this glitching.
Spektrum dx3r with small micro rx 3ch.
panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by panama View Post
K3 with this 3ch relay spektrum tx/rx the winch keeps glitching in and out. while the hook was on my bumper it pulled in and snapped the line that came on it. how do i stop this glitching.
I replied to your PM
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:55 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Dumb question time. Can I use just one of the 4 amp relays if I run the white wires to a toggle switch to select between front and rear servo winches?

I've currently got your 4amp setup on my d772 and it works flawlessly, debating a rear wimch setup.
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richterat83 View Post
Dumb question time. Can I use just one of the 4 amp relays if I run the white wires to a toggle switch to select between front and rear servo winches?
Yes!

Run one of the white output wires to one side of both winch motors.
Run the other white output wire to the center connection of the toggle switch.
Connect one of remaining two toggle switch connections go to the two remaining connections of the two winch motors (one to each motor).*

*it made sense when I typed it... hope it makes sense to you. If it doesn't seem right, let me know and I will post a drawing.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #25
RCC Addict

10-4 thanks for the reply.
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
Yes!

Run one of the white output wires to one side of both winch motors.
Run the other white output wire to the center connection of the toggle switch.
Connect one of remaining two toggle switch connections go to the two remaining connections of the two winch motors (one to each motor).*

*it made sense when I typed it... hope it makes sense to you. If it doesn't seem right, let me know and I will post a drawing.
I want to do something along the same lines, but I am using a TQi radio from my Traxxas Summit in my SCX10. I have the silver 3 position switch at the top of the radio replaced with a momentary 3 position switch to control the winch so that it only runs when I hold the switch over.

Where I am stuck is that I want to use the red 2 position thumb switch to be able to select front or rear winch. Any suggestions on how would you wire that up? I have a few ideas, but I think I am overthinking it.

Oh just to add more info, I am currently planning on using your 4 amp relay(s) (with soft start) and your servo winches with freespool. I was thinking I could use just one relay set and select which winch I want it to operate.

Thanks in advance for any help.

This is the radio I am using:
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I can make something to fix you up. I'm out of town until after the weekend. Please send me a pm after to remind me.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:45 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Picked up one of these for my truck. How is the output voltage controlled? If I plug in a 3s batt does that feed my winch 12.6v? I put a voltmeter on the motor terminals of my servo winch and got what my battery voltage read. So it seems as if its battery to motor direct.
If this is posted somewhere and I'm missing it or if I'm just being ignorant someone let me know.
Also does everyone have the .5 second delay in spooling in / out?
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:15 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjpjr View Post
Picked up one of these for my truck. How is the output voltage controlled? If I plug in a 3s batt does that feed my winch 12.6v? I put a voltmeter on the motor terminals of my servo winch and got what my battery voltage read. So it seems as if its battery to motor direct.
If this is posted somewhere and I'm missing it or if I'm just being ignorant someone let me know.
Also does everyone have the .5 second delay in spooling in / out?
You're right, the description doesn't come right out and say it, so I will make a change to the first post. Yes, full battery voltage is switched to feed the winch motor.

Yes, everyone has the .5 second (approx.) delay when spooling in / out. This was added because of the trouble I was having when customers tried using the winch controller with their Spektrum transmitters. Not all models do this, but enough to be a big problem. These transmitters output such a jittery signal that I had to make the controller ignore short changes in servo position or the winch would randomly wind in or out.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

I did up a couple of quick drawings to help with wiring.

This is probably how most would want their system wired. It shows a high voltage servo that is powered by an external BEC. Notice how the ESC's built in BEC is powering the receiver and therefore the micro controller of the winch controller.

If you are concerned about how much voltage is going to the winch, connect it this way. Now both the winch and steering servo will get voltage from the external BEC.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:15 PM   #31
Metal shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by panama View Post
I just got the high voltage comtroller with the Locked Up Commando winch wih high voltage motor. I'm getting the same issue with glitching using the Spektrum dx3e. Could you post here how to solve this?
CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:25 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

There is no fix with the Spektrum And the controller. I had to change to a different 3 channel. I tried everything. Sorry
Old 03-14-2015, 09:26 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Killer set up tho. Very strong
Old 03-15-2015, 06:08 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterFab View Post
I just got the high voltage comtroller with the Locked Up Commando winch wih high voltage motor. I'm getting the same issue with glitching using the Spektrum dx3e. Could you post here how to solve this?
I've found that with the Spektrum DX3E (mostly) and with the DX3C (sometimes) that the servo signal output is sometimes full of random noise. What I mean is that instead of the signal being steady, sometimes it will jump back and forth slightly with no user input. The controller sees this and responds.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:20 AM   #35
Metal shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
I've found that with the Spektrum DX3E (mostly) and with the DX3C (sometimes) that the servo signal output is sometimes full of random noise. What I mean is that instead of the signal being steady, sometimes it will jump back and forth slightly with no user input. The controller sees this and responds.
Well I need to get a new radio system. So should I just go ahead and go Futaba or with one of the high end Spektrum radios if the problem is only caused by the cheaper versions.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

I can tell you that the Spektrum 4 series have been mostly good, but some trouble reported.
The DX3 and DX3R have been fine.
So far I haven't had an issue reported with Futaba.
The FlySky with the updated firmware: GT3B / GT3C have worked perfectly too.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:42 AM   #37
Metal shaper

Thank you kindly sir. Look forward to getting this setup going. It's been a muddy mess here and desperately needed a winch at yesterday's comp. I'll be picking up a new radio tomorrow.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:43 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Welcome!
Old 03-31-2015, 02:38 AM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Quick post to say how well Al's 4A winch controller performs in a bunch of recent testing (inc. with the 'hot motor' from LockedUpRC.com)... I won't be using any other winch controller from now on

4WheelRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:43 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Are there any marks or difference to determine if the controller is a "H" version? (I have one with a yellow mark)

I also notice that the "soft start" controller looks different, the winch lead is now by itself on one side, the battery and servo leads are now together on the other side
pmadrid13 is offline   Reply With Quote

4 Amp Relay Output Winch Controller - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winch Controller - Relay Driven - External Power heyok Vendors Electronics 90 08-21-2019 09:30 AM