Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market

Notices

Thread: BWD U-Locks line of bead-locks!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default BWD U-Locks line of bead-locks!

As I'm sure most of you have seen elsewhere on the forum, I have released the first of many new beadlocks in my new "U-Locks" lineup. This thread is intended for feedback, comments, and questions related to the new "U-Locks" and will serve as a common place for me to post updates on pricing, availability, and new designs.

First up is the wheel unveiled at Crawlapalooza this past weekend. Thus far it is nameless but is the first production "U-Locks" wheel design. It is a love it/hate it wheel but I and many others love it so it will be made available. This first design is being followed quickly by the new "Vertex" design and then by a new split spoke design.

The "U-Locks" line are adjustable from 1/2" wide to as wide as you want with the addition of 1/4" wide "U-Locks" spacers. Spacers can be added to the inside, outside, or both sides of the "U-Locks" rim, making the same wheel work for all axles. Off-setting your track width from front to rear is now easier than ever before. The U-Locks will be available in 6061 T6 alumimum, black delrin, and white delrin.

Here's the rough retail pricing structure of the "U-Locks" lineup (includes this un-named design and the new "Vertex" soon to be released.

*1 pair (2 wheels) of "U-Locks" with rings and hardware - .5" wide (spacers can be added later if desired) - $48.00

*1 pair (2 wheels) of "U-Locks" with rings, 2x .25" spacers, and hardware - .75" wide with adjustable width/offset - $62.00

*1 set (4 wheels) of "U-Locks" with rings and hardware - .5" wide (spacers can be added later if desired) - $96.00

*1 set (4 wheels) of "U-Locks" with rings, 4x .25" spacers, and hardware - .75" wide with adjustable width/offset - $124.00

*1 pair of .25" spacers with hardware - $14.00

*Shipping will be additional $8.00 USPS Priority insured*

I am offering the wheels in pairs or sets, so you have the option of buying 2 alum wheels for the front and 2 delrin wheels for the back of your rig for light weight front/rear bias. You also have the option to order an extra pair so you can have an optional weight/offset/width setup ready to bolt on your rig.

I will post up inventory quantities as I get things packaged up and ready to ship.

Don
Billet Works Designs
Attached Images

Last edited by billet works; 12-02-2009 at 01:25 PM.
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Keep it real

Great idea Don This really opens up the possibilities
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

these are sick! I will stay tuned for a price!
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I like them. They look tough.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

price? these look super nice.
The_kernel114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Looks good don!

Are they all going to be 5 spoke to keep interchangeability?
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Looks good don!

Are they all going to be 5 spoke to keep interchangeability?
Yes, actually 5 or 10 (for now), but there will be two platforms for the spacers/rock rings. This one, and the new 2.2 Vertex soon to be unveiled.

Thanks guys, I'm waiting on one more piece of data before I set the price in stone. I can tell you that these will be available in pairs, 4's, without spacers (1/2" wide), with spacers 3/4" wide), and spacers will be sold seperately for going even wider on the wheel width. The idea is to not limit your adjustability, but also to avoid having you buy parts you don't want and/or need. You have the control.

Don

Last edited by billet works; 10-13-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
Yes, actually 5 or 10 (for now), but there will be two platforms for the spacers/rock rings. This one, and the new 2.2 Vertex soon to be unveiled.

Thanks guys, I'm waiting on one more piece of data before I set the price in stone. I can tell you that these will be available in pairs, 4's, without spacers (1/2" wide), with spacers 3/4" wide), and spacers will be sold seperately for going even wider on the wheel width. The idea is to not limit your adjustability, but also to avoid having you buy parts you don't want and/or need. You have the control.

Don
If you had 15 holes you could do 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 12, and 15 spoke designs, all using the same spacers. Just a thought...
Old 10-13-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

True but more holes will drive up the cost of machining on all components, add cost of additional hardware, and increase the time it takes to mount tires and add/remove spacers. Add to all of that, you further confine the wheel area which will limit spoke design options. Lastly, 5 holes with my beadlock system is enough to keep you from ever pulling a bead. I've put a ton of thought into the engineering of the "U-Locks" design in order for it to offer the most possible while making it affordable to produce and purchase...which will extend it's life on the market.

Thanks for the feedback, sorry for the wordy response.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
True but more holes will drive up the cost of machining on all components, add cost of additional hardware, and increase the time it takes to mount tires and add/remove spacers. Add to all of that, you further confine the wheel area which will limit spoke design options. Lastly, 5 holes with my beadlock system is enough to keep you from ever pulling a bead. I've put a ton of thought into the engineering of the "U-Locks" design in order for it to offer the most possible while making it affordable to produce and purchase...which will extend it's life on the market.

Thanks for the feedback, sorry for the wordy response.
I was thinking even with 15 holes, you would only need 5 or 6 screws per side to hold a bead, and depending on the # of spokes, only 3, 5 or 6 screws actually hold the wheel center. I didn't consider the extra machine time though, so that keeps cost down, which is always good in this economic environment for a hobby.

Can't wait to see what else you've got cooked up (especially your u-dig, your sneaky spy shots aren't cutting it for me.)

Last edited by monkeyracer; 10-13-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Prices yet?
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Original post updated with rough pricing.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Lots more pics added guys/gals. I have 10 sets of these on the way right now with 10 sets of spacers. I will keep these in inventory long term but they will of course be first come first served when I officially post them up for sale.

That said, it looks like my "Mini-Locks" are gonna be here first...pics and info on those coming this weekend
Old 10-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Wheels look awesome I'm definatly diggin those aluminum ones
chad30w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #15
TSK
Shelf queen

Hey Don, i was wondering how much my Psycho's weigh? I have no scale to weigh them, and I know that they are a wider than the u-lock with no spacer and narrower than a u-lock with one spacer...

Last edited by TSK; 11-02-2009 at 09:39 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

good idea on the spacer ring like the design of the rings
spyderwebbcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Exclamation U-Locks "Apex" 2.2 bead-locks are in stock and ready to ship!

Production BWD U-Locks "Apex" 2.2 bead-locks are in stock and ready to ship. I have 2 sets in white delrin, 2 sets in black delrin, and 8 sets in billet aluminum. I also have 12 sets of spacers and all necessary hardware. Wheel sets include a BWD vinyl graphic logo along with a new set of 4 stainless steel wheel nuts/washers. See first post for pricing structure. Shipping is $8.00 per set shipped USPS priority insured. Additional spacer sets will run $5.00 shipped USPS Priority.

Thanks,

Don
BWD
Old 11-22-2009, 07:12 AM   #18
Holmes Hobbies

I'm in,guess no one wants any so their wheel will clear their knuckles
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Don have you got any alloy ones in stock?
English Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:08 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Steve View Post
Don have you got any alloy ones in stock?

Hey Steve, I have a few alloy sets left. Feel free to drop me an email buddy.