Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market

Notices

Thread: TheCrawlerStore.com - Post public questions, comments, or feedback here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2005, 11:02 PM   #41

Question Hello, everybody! (stick gear ?s)

I'm putting a stick together and would like any advice, comments, and suggestions that will help. Thanks!

Will the Hitec HS 645 work with the TQ3?

Is the Integy 55T the right lathe motor, and what are other options?

Battery dimensions?

How does one set up dual speed control, and is it worth it?

...(the Mustang crawler is on the way! And, If anyone can tell me the movie with the chic that drives the off-road '65 ish mustang, I will be very impressed)...

Thanks
Ted
High elevation Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2005, 11:35 PM   #42
MODERATOR™

Yes.

Yes.

Small battery pack update

ESC is based on a 4 channel stick radio, one ESC per stick, and one steering servo on each stick. Y wiring to the battery.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:04 AM   #43

thanks!
T
Old 08-25-2005, 08:04 AM   #44
Rock Stacker

Hey guys.

I'm currently running narrowed rims with Moabs using aces adapters. Now i want to buy some of the new Commando beadlocs from Proline and the only person making adapters for the 23mm rims is Bender .
Getting good reviews on the dapters ,the only thing is running with these adapters i'll be going back to stock track width and iv'e only ever run the stick with the widened track width of the aces adapters.

Do you think that there will be much of a difference in handling with the narrower stance .I also know that i'll have to narrow the beadlocks so the wheels don't rub on the links.
ffactory666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:30 AM   #45
The Wheels Keep Turning

i've run my trucks narrow and find the difference in stability is significant enough for me not to run them narrow. But that may be a matter of taste. I've tried running the truck narrow multiple times in the past and have always gone back to a 15.5"-15.75" track width.

i believe you will get better handling with this setup though, but i don't remember noticing a significant increase in handling when i set mine up narrow. Any improvement in handling was more than offset by the decreased stability. So i guess the decision to do it or not would depend on the terrain.

Last edited by kevinlongisland; 08-25-2005 at 08:32 AM.
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:52 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

I cannot wait to get mine. I almost drove to AZ to pick it up.

Anyone that has a stick chassis have 2 shocks they want to part with?
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:58 PM   #47
MODERATOR™

Going back to the track width question, I definately agree a wider track has it's benefits. There is a noticeable stability improvement over a narrow width. But the narrow width has it's merits also. Most noticeable is the lack of diff hang ups. Even with my smaller diameter pin tires the diffs don't get hung up nearly as much. I drive often on a sharp rock type of terrain, that's all Ohio is really. That narrow chassis and high center clearance really pays off! Anyways, diff hang ups can be a killer, and annoying. So I tend to favor the narrow track. Now over in Indiana at the UROC event we all went to, I used the Giant Tracs on a wide set up. It was pretty much just rolling hills and valleys, not really rocks. Besides it climbing about everything in sight, it would hold on to a to a seriously high angle side incline, it was very impressive. Super low center of gravity, wide, low weight, no wheel weights either.

Anyways, I'm trying something never seen by me, here anyways. Narrow rear, wide front. It's actually somewhat out of nessecity. I have those AA batteries on the front axle, and the narrow set up rubs 'em pretty bad. And to come totally clean, I'm only using one wide wheel, on the battery side. So three are narrow, one is wide. Function over form. I want to try the 3 and 1 set up first, because these pins are pretty small in diameter, and I want to retain some of that diff clearance. Next time I drive, I'll have the other wide front wheel along with me to see how it is.

Just a post as I think out loud. And pictures because I'm totally bored out of my mind. Use the steering knuckle screws as a reference.
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2005, 09:07 AM   #48
The Wheels Keep Turning

EeePee, i like your description of when and where wide is better or worse. I agree totally about the diff issues and how that will affect the decision to run narrow or wide.

I like the outside-the-box thinking with only one narrow wheel for clearance. good idea. I can't really see any adverse affects from doing that. Let us know how it works out and thanks for the post/info.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:09 PM   #49
Rock Stacker

Great examples EeePee.

Most of the rocks we crawl with here are like your first example so i'm going to go with the Proline beadlocks and narrow stance .On top of your example we run very technical tight courses so the narrow stance will help with the turning radius and manueverability of the truck.

I'm keeping my other wheels and adapters so if we do ever run a comp like your second example i'll just swap the wheels over like you did.

Great idea you came up with for you battery clearance prob.I definately don't see you having a prob running that set up.
ffactory666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:35 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Just got mine together last night. Ran it this morning. Runs really nice. I can wait for our next comp.

Awesome work Kevin!
Old 09-02-2005, 03:47 PM   #51
MODERATOR™

Thanks guys, necessity (that's how you spell it ) makes some interesting things happen. As soon as I'm back on my feet again I'll post some findings. I imagine it'll work well, we'll see. I do know it turns differently left as it does right. The front right actually bounces on 4 wheel steer to the right. It didn't do that before.

FrankyRizzo, welcome to the coolest club on the board. Like Kevin said some time ago, or someone else, can't remember, it almost drives itself. What my TXT struggled through, the Stick cruises through without breaking a sweat. I have to try seemingly impossible climbs to give it some sort of challenge.

Let's see some pictures of what you got!
Old 09-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #52
The Wheels Keep Turning

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo
Just got mine together last night. Ran it this morning. Runs really nice. I can wait for our next comp.

Awesome work Kevin!
Thank you both for the compliments.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:49 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

I am going to change the layout of mine tonight. I will post some pics tonight.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:13 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Hey Kevin.

How about a small thin Kydex skidplate the goes from the front link mounts to the rear ones just to give it some slickness when overcoming a large obstacle?
Old 09-03-2005, 08:33 AM   #55
The Wheels Keep Turning

i like the slick skids myself too. But the stick so rarely get's hung up on the bottom i never even thought about doing it for the stick. Maybe just one small piece on the backbone from the axle link attachment to axle link attachment. But this is nothing i would produce. Just some flexible cutting board from walmart always did the trick.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #56

Hey guys anybody know if I have to buy a different kind of battery for my tq3? i bought it from the crawler store about a month ago but havent had time to use it. Anyways I tried it out and found that the batteries keep popping out. It seems that the battery compartment is not wide enough. I am using some energizer chargables which did'nt have any problems with myy other radios. Any suggestions?
Arvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:41 PM   #57
MODERATOR™

I use Energizer's 2500 mAh AAs in my TQ3. I did lose my bottom plate though. :?

A piece of tape would have prevented that though. Hint hint.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:11 PM   #58
The Wheels Keep Turning

yes, i had problems also when trying to install some new NexCell 2300mah cells. These cells are thicker than standard batteries and didn't work. If you want to use rechargeables, i would suggest a lower mah value, they should be thinner. Or use alkalines.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:28 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Couldn't pass up the price of these today. Duracell 2300mah 8 pack for $20. Made up 2 packs with 8 cells each. Works awesome and gives me a little bit of wheel spin. I have no clearance issues at all. Of course I am running XTM thorns so they are a little bit bigger than the 40 series. Works outstanding with the weight even lower.

Last edited by FrankyRizzo; 03-28-2007 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:40 AM   #60

Hello everybody!

My stick arrived yesterday and was well packaged and *GD* impressive to see in person! Im waiting for the axles (another source, hence the delay) but can already feel the awesome powah!

This is my first crawler, so of course my hat's off to all custom builders, I just couldn't help jumping to the most radical design out there. Anyway, like someone said before, spec class. (?) I do hope to build a frame style custom, but...

sorry for the n00b jabber,

I haven't used my TQ3 yet, but I wonder about the rear steer. The 3rd servo switch is a 3 position, How does this work?

Thanks for the notes about the batts.

I will have some pics soon, and perhaps a suggestion for a meet area! I guess i should go to a meet first, but you gotta see my campground! (Pine Cliff, June Lake, CA..)

--thanks Kevin, the stick and service were stellar.

t