Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market > Vendors Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Anyone here ever had a chassis powdercoated?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Anyone here ever had a chassis powdercoated?

I was not really sure where to post this but I am wanting to know if anyone has had a tuber or even axial frame powder coated? If so id like to know what it cost ya (if you don't mind posting it or you can pm me if you don't want everyone to know)as I was quoted 65 bucks for a 1/10 scale tuber all black.. Also if you sent it off to a business where was it and how did they handle your transaction. Or am I missing a vendor on here that does powder coating? Thanks guys if this is indeed in the wrong area please move I wont get butt hurt over it..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I had a pair of custom E-Pede front arms done black, about 10 years ago and it cost me $30. Although, the place knew me, I was there for work every other day.

So, $65 sounds fair for a tuber. There are a lot of surfaces to get covered properly.
Badmuthatrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
www.team3sixrc.com

I am not sure if this person will help you, but it may be worth a try or he can make a suggestion to you.
Contact C*H*U*D (Juan), he is a friend of mine and the owner of Underground Crawlers. Im not sure if he offers this service but he may be able to assist you.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
No idea what I'm doing

Actually the person to contact is InFlames. Card Carrying Vendor right here on RCC that specializes in Powder Coating

Check out his Vendor Page Here!!
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Is he still doing pc'ing? Hasn't been on since May. Just curious, as his prices and finish are really nice.

I personally use a local coater for both sandblasting and powdercoating. I get decent prices since I'm a regular, and they just throw whatever I'm having done in with the bigger pieces. I can't be too picky on colour, silver and black are the most common, but they have done custom. The biggest pain in the ass for them is plugging all the panel nut threads on tubers.

Anyways, check with local companies and see if you can't get a better deal by having them throw it in the oven with larger parts.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I think most shops are going to charge a minimum no matter how small the piece is. Heck, I had the wheels on my 1:1 powdercoated for $30 a piece last year so $65 sounds a bit steep.
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
www.team3sixrc.com

Sorry about that Juan, I wasnt sure so I told them to just ask sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Actually the person to contact is InFlames. Card Carrying Vendor right here on RCC that specializes in Powder Coating

Check out his Vendor Page Here!!
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Thanks guys for the imput... Shop said 65 depending on color I also was on the eastwood site and can get a do it myself kit for a little more plus powder so I think I am going that route seems like I could make my money back plus doing odd jobs with it maybe even pony up for a vendor star here and see what happens..
Old 11-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I pay $25 a chassis for black, $35 for specialty colors since they have to do a separate run just for me.

$65 is a rip job.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I agree with p!nk, $65.00 is high for a 1/10 chassis.

I have a local guy that has done all the tubers I've had and most recently my Eclipse, in matte black for $35.00
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Whatever shop you do go to, ask them to have the chassis coated in Millenium Black, or whatever their standard black is. Most shops run a standard black, and can add you parts in with whatever they're currently PC-ing. Our 3 piece tube style chassis in the past were $25 for black.

Asking them for a custom color will usually cause a set-up fee, which could easily be $50 alone.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE MT View Post
Whatever shop you do go to, ask them to have the chassis coated in Millenium Black, or whatever their standard black is. Most shops run a standard black, and can add you parts in with whatever they're currently PC-ing. Our 3 piece tube style chassis in the past were $25 for black.

Asking them for a custom color will usually cause a set-up fee, which could easily be $50 alone.
Nice to know, thanks man!

Overall I rate this thread to be pretty good, on the informative side. I accomplished my goal here, I asked the question and the answer was found. YAY.

KTHNXBYE!

Last edited by F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re.; 11-11-2010 at 08:29 PM. Reason: !~!.hgih_m'i!~!
F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE MT View Post

Thanks for the info there is another shop here in town that I will try friday..
Old 11-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

$65 is waaaay out of line for a 1/10th chassis. If you're going black, they should be able to throw it in a batch and charge you no more then $20.
If its a color that were running that day and the part is small, a 12 pack will do just fine. Look for a shop that does high volume, they will more then likely do it for less.
NorCal 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #15
Jer
Rock Crawler

I powdercoat for myself in my garage. I use an old oven and a cheapo gun from harbor freight. It's not impossible to do, but on some small things it's difficult to get the powder to stick in tight spots. Depending on the color is where it gets pricey, standard black is roughly $15/lb which is more than enough to coat an entire 1/10 but if you go custom color it can be up to $35/lb. DO NOT use the oven in your house to cure powder, it gives off toxic fumes and will make your oven toxic for food purposes. If you have a decent shop and some spare change, get the gun and do it yourself, it's a lot of fun and you will find all sorts of useless stuff to pc. good luck.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Well guys I bought the eastwood powder coat kit and just got back from the used appliance store with a new to me oven. I also ordered wet black from pro powder supply I cannot wait...
Old 11-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #17
Jer
Rock Crawler

Glad to hear it, if you are married, your wife will probably be irritated when you start going through the kitchen/house looking for stuff to pc
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I figure the least I can do is learn a new trade and maybe just matbe make enough money on the side to pay for it self im also into hotrods so Im sure I can find a bunch of stuff to pc before I wander into pc ing household items,,,,
Old 11-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Clean real well with a wire wheel/brush, then throw it in the dishwasher, when it comes out wipe it down with some paint thinner, then cook at 400 for 20 mins, then pc it and cook the coating.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #20
RCC Addict

I have a huge 40 gallon american kellog air compressor to run my glass bead cabnet im thinking that a easier route and keep parts outta the wifes dishwasher..