Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market > Vendors Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: How to Install KK's 4pk Case Skinz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 04:34 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default How to Install KK's 4pk Case Skinz

We now offer 4pk Case Skins
MadDawg has been so kind to write up a how-to!
As these require some work by the customer.

Thank you again Mad Dawg for your time and efforts to make this How to!
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: How to Install KK's 4pk Case Skinz

Step 1: Remove contents from mailing envelope.

Step 2: Trim around each vinyl graphic to remove the excess backing (white paper).

The trimming doesn't need to be exact but the removal does help with laying out the vinyl in their appropriate areas on the case.

Step 3: Start with the large areas of the box what require no additional trimming....we will work on the hard parts later.

After trimming the excess white backing paper from around each vinyl panel, I test fit each piece. If you have a complicated design, this will help you get a picture in your minds eye as to how each piece needs to applied to the box. After all, you don't wanna stick a vinyl panel on the side of your box THEN realize that it's on upside down!

For the large flat panels that didn't need trimming, I started by peeling the white backing paper back from one end of the vinyl. I center the vinyl on the case and applied pressure to stick it to the box. I slowly peeled back the backing paper while running my hand back and forth across the vinyl so there were no air bubbles. Slowly remove the backing, making sure that everything stays lined up.

Step 4: Move onto the other smaller pieces that don't need to be trimmed.

Test fit each piece before you remove the backing and apply. This will give you an idea whether it needs to be centered or trimmed to fit the area.

Same method was used to apply the smaller pieces as I used on the large front panel. Start by peeling back the backing paper from on end.

Some special attention to the smaller pieces must be made to ensure that it stays straight when applied. After sticking the exposed end onto the case, I used a firm pressure to hold the vinyl straight. Holding it at a 30* angle to the box, I pulled the backing paper back a few inches at a time and applied pressure from the applied end of the vinyl toward the backing paper. This keeps from having air bubbles under the vinyl. I found it easiest for me if I worked from right to left when applying the vinyl.

When doing the larger side panels, I found it easier to handle the vinyl if I carefully cut the backing paper in the middle.

****Care must be taken when cutting the paper backing that you don't cut to deep and cut the vinyl.****

The application steps are the same as the other panels that we have already applied except I started from the middle of these pieces and worked my way out to the ends, on half at a time.

Now comes the fun part.........the panels that need trimming.

Step 5: Take a deep breath and relax...this part isn't so bad when you have a few helpful tips.

The biggest reason for starting with the panels that didn't need trimmed to fit was to build some confidence in your ability to apply the vinyl. By now, you should feel fairly comfortable applying these panels.

We will start with the large bottom panel and work our way up to the smaller, more difficult ones.

The bottom of the box has rubber feet at each corner of the box. The vinyl will need to be trimmed in these areas. I applied this panel the same as I did for the large top panel.

I folded one end on the paper backing back, centered the vinyl and stuck it down. Be careful not to apply pressure to the areas around the rubber feet because we don't want the vinyl stuck to the feet. Once you get the whole sheet stuck down you can focus on the corners.

I found it easier to work the corners if I put a small slice in the vinyl from the foot out to the corner of the panel.

The slit in the vinyl allows a little more flexibility. I used a butter knife to work the area right up to the foot. Anything without a sharp edge will work to accomplish this task. Once I had the vinyl stuck down all the way around the foot, I took a sharp knife and trimmed around the bottom of the foot. I cut against the foot and NOT the case so I wouldn't leave any scratches in the box. After I trimmed up the corner, I worked the butter knife under the rubber foot and finished sticking the vinyl down. By trimming against the foot, this left the vinyl a little longer than needed. The rubber foot is flexible and by working the knife under it, it allowed the excess vinyl to lay down under the edge of the foot. In other words....the rubber foot holds the corner of the vinyl down.

Step 6: Working the bottom of the box with the round rubber feet.

These are small panels that are easy to apply. I stuck the vinyl on the box using the same method as those that didn't need trimmed.

This area is made a little more complex with the hinge area that also needs to be cut. I worked the vinyl down with the butter knife right up to the edge of the hinge. Using the sharp knife, I trimmed right around the edge of the hinge and removed the portion that is stuck down on top of the hinge. After this area is cut out, I worked the edges with the butter knife to make sure they were stuck to the box.

The easiest way is to work the vinyl down around the feet using the butter knife or other suitable tool. I then trimmed around the foot with a sharp knife with the blade angled at 45*, cutting in the crease between the box and foot. Be sure to do this AFTER you cut out the hinge area otherwise you could end up with a gap around the foot.

Step 7: Working around the hinges.

Again, I found it easier to lightly cut the backing paper at the half way mark and work on one half of the panel at a time when applying to the areas that need trimming.

Apply the vinyl to the box from the center toward the outside edge. Part of the vinyl will cover the hinge area....which is fine for now.

After you have the first half stuck down, apply firm pressure with your thumb around the hinge area. This will cause the vinyl to conform to the hinge and a visible edge will appear around the lower portion of the hinge. Once you see this line, trim closely with a sharp knife and remove the excess vinyl from the hinge. After you have cut out this portion, you can work the edges down with the butter knife or other suitable tool.

The area around the rubber feet is handled in the same manner as before when we applied the smaller panels. Just work the vinyl down right up to the rubber foot and trim with the knife at a 45* angle between the box and foot then stick it down firmly with the butter knife.

Step 8: Take another deep breath. We saved the hardest part for last!

This is the panel on top of the box with the handle.

I started by lightly cutting the backing paper at the half way mark again. I applied the skin to the box using the same methods that we have used before.

The handle is a different story...but not all that complicated. I started by working the area from the middle of the box up to the handle, then cut carefully with the sharp knife right at the base of the handle. I also cut from the edge of the handle straight up to the top of the vinyl on both sides.

I used firm pressure around the latch to find the edge, trimmed with a sharp knife and worked the edges down with the butter knife. The techniques used around the hinges apply to the areas around the latches. Be sure to cut out the handle area FIRST. This will make working the latch areas easier.

I took the small piece that I had removed from the handle area and stuck it back on the white paper backing....we will save this for later.

After I applied both sides of the vinyl and trimmed the latch areas, it was time to focus on the small piece that was removed around the handle earlier.

I applied the top edge of the small piece and worked it down toward the handle....just the same as we had done when applying the larger portion of this panel. Once the small piece is worked down, trim around the handle with the sharp knife and remove the excess.

If you take you time, you can make this seamless and you will never see where this piece was removed or trimmed.

That's it.......your done!!

Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: How to Install KK's 4pk Case Skinz

Reserved for additional information.....
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

How to Install KK's 4pk Case Skinz - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Krawler Konceptz 4PK/4PKS Skinz Krawler Konceptz Vendors Miscellaneous 2 10-19-2011 11:14 PM
Freq-E Dezigns 4PK sKinz - Series 1 - Available NOW! FreqEsKinz Vendors Paint and Body 2 06-08-2010 12:40 PM
Freq-E Dezigns - 4PK sKinz Giveaway *Winner* FreqEsKinz Electronics 48 06-08-2010 11:37 AM