Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market > Vendors Tires and wheels

Notices

Thread: 2.2 VP Scale Wheel True 1" and 1.250" Cans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
Metal shaper

Default 2.2 VP Scale Wheel True 1" and 1.250" Cans

As many know and found out after the fact, the VP wheels are not a true 1" wheel as advertised. What we mean by this is, the width measurement should come from the bead seat area and not the overall width of the wheels with bead lock rings installed. The 1" wheels are actually using a very narrow .750" wide can, making it difficult to use the highly regarded Crawler InNovations foams and wider tires such as the PitBull RockBeast.
We have, with permission, made a true 1" and 1.250" can. These vastly improve several problem areas: tire mounting, foam options, and tire performance.
The cans and spacers are all machined from made in USA Kaiser 6061 aluminum and the hardware is SS SHCS.
Included in each kit:
4- cans
20- spacers
20- 4-40 screws

Preorder on our site:
Carter Fab & Machine » True 1.250″ Cans for VP scale wheels (2.2)
Carter Fab & Machine » True 1″ Cans for VP scale wheels (2.2)
CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 2.2 VP Scale Wheel True 1" and 1.250" Cans

AHHHHHH!! Very nice!
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Goddammit I just hand trimmed my "standard" CIs, haha.

Great solution to an expensive problem.

Thanks!
tedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
Metal shaper

Yeah when they first released I had several conversations with VP about the narrow wheel problem. Even tried having custom foams cut but didn't help. Used foams went in fine but the new Deuces Wild foams were a no go.
I've been running a set of the 1.250" with DW foams and BFG R35 tires and the difference is night and day with the added footprint of the tire. Plus they just look so much better. We custom cut a set of Delrin 1.350" for some Pitbulls and waiting to hear back from him and get pics of how they look. I'm gonna cut some wider ones for some paddles I have.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterFab View Post
Yeah when they first released I had several conversations with VP about the narrow wheel problem. Even tried having custom foams cut but didn't help. Used foams went in fine but the new Deuces Wild foams were a no go.
I've been running a set of the 1.250" with DW foams and BFG R35 tires and the difference is night and day with the added footprint of the tire. Plus they just look so much better. We custom cut a set of Delrin 1.350" for some Pitbulls and waiting to hear back from him and get pics of how they look. I'm gonna cut some wider ones for some paddles I have.
Great product and it's about time....I've spoken with VP about proper width wheels several times. Glad that you're going to make it possible to use their pretty wheels.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:35 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Clay, I remember asking you about this idea over a year ago and you said there might be some options....

Glad to see it finally coming into fruition/production. I think we've all been banging our heads trying to figure out why no one is catching on that a 2 inch wide tire doesn't belong on a .75 rim. And kudos to VP for giving you the go ahead. It may not be a patented idea, but at least you're leading the way based on common sense and giving us options.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Clay, I remember asking you about this idea over a year ago and you said there might be some options....

Glad to see it finally coming into fruition/production. I think we've all been banging our heads trying to figure out why no one is catching on that a 2 inch wide tire doesn't belong on a .75 rim. And kudos to VP for giving you the go ahead. It may not be a patented idea, but at least you're leading the way based on common sense and giving us options.
Very nice.

Will the 1.250" can clear VP chubs and knuckles? Want to keep stock or a little narrower overall track width on Wraith using VP Method 101.

What width VP hubs do I need to buy to do this with Method 101?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #8
Metal shaper

Yes, .350
Old 04-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

So on top of the gobs of money you need to buy the VP wheels you now have to buy this to make it a true 1 inch wheel? Good on you, CFM, to come out with a solution but somebody should call out VP on this crap. Screw that...
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #10
Metal shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_Fernando View Post
So on top of the gobs of money you need to buy the VP wheels you now have to buy this to make it a true 1 inch wheel? Good on you, CFM, to come out with a solution but somebody should call out VP on this crap. Screw that...

Wasn't VPs call to make the wheels narrow, it's the 1:1 manufacturers who made the decision.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yes, .350
Ordered .350 hubs and 1.25" Cans, thank you for the order help and for making these wheels useable!

Quote:
Wasn't VPs call to make the wheels narrow, it's the 1:1 manufacturers who made the decision.
Wow, that's too bad... ....good for you I guess.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
I see the beauty in the design of this wheel as I'll be able to push them out to 2.0" for my sand paws and get that "fat paddle" look you see on the Norwegian Formula racers. I thought I was going to have to glue them onto a set of old non narrowed Stampede wheels.

At some point you need to tell the 1:1 Manufacturer, this is the way it needs to be and this is why, and they needs to listen, or the project gets "canned".
I mean it's kinda F'd up to pass the cost on to the end user just to make the
end product usable. I'm just glad they are made the way they are and can be adjusted... that's a lot of effort to be a beautiful wheel "made wrong".
Yes.

Last edited by Natedog; 01-29-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Hey CarterFab,
You gonna do these for the 1.9 wheels by any chance also?
waiukea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
I see the beauty in the design of this wheel as I'll be able to push them out to 2.0" for my sand paws and get that "fat paddle" look you see on the Norwegian Formula racers. I thought I was going to have to glue them onto a set of old non narrowed Stampede wheels.

Quote:
At some point you need to tell the 1:1 Manufacturer, this is the way it needs to be and this is why, and they needs to listen, or the project gets "canned".
I mean it's kinda F'd up to pass the cost on to the end user just to make the
end product usable. I'm just glad they are made the way they are and can be adjusted... that's a lot of effort to be a beautiful wheel "made wrong".
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:22 AM   #15
Metal shaper

Is what it is. I'm close with the owner of Method and the crew at VP. We had several talks about the wheels when they were very first released. We sat down with several different tires and foam setups. They are fine with stock foams. But like me, most run the CI foams and they were a no go on almost every option. We even tried a custom set of foams just for these wheels and they were a no go. Luckily the design as mentioned above allows us to make the true cans, and any
custom width someone needs to mount any tire/foam combo imaginable.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:21 PM   #16
Metal shaper

We were on display with them this week in Daytona Beach.
Put 1.250" cans in the white Jeep's wheels
Old 06-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #17
Metal shaper

Summer sale!!
Enter coupon code, summertime, for 10% off.
www.carterfabmachine.com
Old 01-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Will more of these be coming out soon. Just bought the last set I could find from ckrc but I need like 3 more sets
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #19
Metal shaper

Yes we have plenty. I'll get some packaged up.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:55 AM   #20
Metal shaper

Distributors:
Nevada:
Ckrccrawlers.com is our flagship distributor and exclusive XL dealer. They carry our entire product line and can be purchased online or at their retail location.

Arizona:
Tcscrawlers.com carries our full line of 1/10 Yeti products as well as Wraith and Twin Hammers panels which can be purchased online or in their retail location.

Virginia:
Bluemonkeyrc.com carries our 1/10 Yeti products and some of our popular Wraith panels, purchase online.

South Carolina:
Krawl Off-Road can order in any of our product line, excluding the Yeti Xl line, and is available at their retail location or contact online.

Texas:
Big Mike's Hobbies & Toys carries a limited offering of our product lines but can order in any request, excluding Yeti XL.

2.2 VP Scale Wheel True 1" and 1.250" Cans - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project "True Scale" Suzuki Samurai 51WillysJeep 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 04-04-2014 05:09 PM
True 1" and 1.250" Wheel Cans for 2.2 Vp Scale Wheels CarterFab Tires and Wheels 0 04-01-2014 09:32 AM
Project "working class superduty" true scale Diesel-tech 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 05-21-2011 09:36 PM