Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market > Vendors Tires and wheels

Notices

Thread: DCW Made to Order Delrin Wheels

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

These wheels look perfect. So much cooler in person. Waiting on MTHead rings.
1.3oz per wheel

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #22
Suck it up!

Default Re: DCW Made to Order Delrin Wheels

They may actually be my favorites so far...
Old 06-04-2014, 10:47 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
They may actually be my favorites so far...
I agree very sexy wheels
Old 06-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Mounted up on with MTHead rings front and back, RC4WD bolts, VP hubs and Crawler Innovation's 4.5" DD foams.

Dress up on the ftoy
Old 06-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #25
Suck it up!

Damn! I'm glad you talked me into doing those.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

They will probably be on this rig. Well, the gray was planned since that will be in this body's color scheme. Like I planned it, huh?

Szczerba's #3744 Jeepspeed Cherokee
Old 06-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Finally got around to giving a set of these wheels hell, I ran 3 hard packs through them and everything held up perfect! I am very impressed with the fit and finish of these wheels and recommend them to anyone who wants a unique set of wheels.

These are 2.2 x 1.7 with lockedup rc rings and hardware and vanquish 725 hubs that are JUST enough to clear the steering linkage.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #28
Adilynsdad too!

Meow...
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

This is the basic design I axed you about.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #30
Nobody

DuuuuuuuudeStars V1, on order.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:32 AM   #31
Proverbial threadkiller

Duuuuuuuude put a ton of work into these, it would be borderline nefarious for me to not share the results.

May I present to you.............. skinny pucks.

My request for these was initiated because I have long been somewhat enamored by the looks of super-class crawler wheels/tires. That's why I requested my rims be made so skinny. I thought they might make my standard Rovers look more like the tires typically run in that class. As far as why just simple pucks, I guess when it comes down to brass tacks, I'm just a little more austere than most. I wanted something that looks stout, strong and industrial. These ain't real far off the mark.

Now, when I saw this next picture, I thought I may have gone jus' a li'l bit too far with the whole skinny concept.

No, you're not seeing things, they really are that thin.

I think they turned out alright, though.

They weren't as torturous to assemble as you'd be led to believe. All the beads on the front sides of the wheels were a breeze. That first one was 'interesting' as I struggled to find enough thumbs to get the bead into the channel on the back of the rim. For the next three, all I did was set the ring on the tire with two screws, and pushed straight down. Wiggled the ring around a bit 'til I was satisfied the bead was in the groove and screwed 'er on down. One of the four I'm not overly happy with, but meh, I guarantee you that's end-user error.

For hubs I used Vanquish, 185's? I think? Being that these have SO much less backspacing than the stock XR wheels, I didn't see much of a need (at the time) to go with monster width hubs.
On a side-note, I see that Calderwood has protector rings for the DE wheels, I really should have looked into whether those would work with my hub pattern. Just a tip, if you have arms as big as some people's thighs, and they're powered by several Mountain Dew Code Reds, ya might want to get someone else to run those hub screws in for ya. My center hole has 6 nice dimples in it now.
Speaking of screws, I used 18/8 stainless (black coated) screws from McMaster-Carr. Placed the order sometime after 1am on a Sunday night (well, Monday morning, technically), and when I got home from work Tuesday, they were waiting for me on the front porch. Wow.
I do almost wish I would've had Duuuuuuuude convert my hubs to 3 or 4 mm threads and make the ring holes metric also. Would've been nice to keep the whole truck metric. Another log on the afterthought fire.

For foams, I ordered stock Rover foams from Crawler Innovations. Figured I have stock Rover tires, that'd be the way to go. (shrug)
No, not exactly. To get the 'super' look I was after, I'm wondering now if I should have ordered up some 5.5" foams in a custom narrow width. Maybe someday.

Now, as if it wasn't enough work making these wheels, and machining in pockets for the hubs, in true "idiot customer" fashion, I selected rings that were wildly inappropriate. There was a large shoulder on the backs of these that prevented the bead from holding. I wanted to have these re-drilled for different rings, but Duuuuuuuude talked me down off the ledge. He wound up having to mill the shoulders off these rings to get 'em flat enough to hold. That hadda be a PITA. Worked, though.
If you're anything like me, you're thinking "hey silverback, how many holes did you strip out trying to get the rings on?" Not a one, actually. And I'm not looking a gift-horse in the mouth, either. On goes life.

At first, I wasn't thrilled with these steering pics, but now that I look at them again, I'm not sure there's much more angle left on the table. Looks to me like those ears on the backsides of the knuckles might be at their stopping point. Tires are into the springs, but not much worse than any other crawler I ever gotten my hands on. Might need to consider those taller foams a bit more later on down the line.

So, this is what they're going to be.
I'd like to thank,

DCW: wheels
Helhedded: tires
TCS: rings & hubs
McMaster-Carr: screws
Crawler Innovations: foams
Old 06-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
A super extra special set of 1.9s for Szczerba.

man, how much for those bad boys?
Old 06-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #33
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertmaxx View Post
man, how much for those bad boys?
Exactly as shown? In the neighborhood of $200.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
On a side-note, I see that Calderwood has protector rings for the DE wheels, I really should have looked into whether those would work with my hub pattern.
My lug rings are for the SLW pattern so yes they are the same as your wheels. If you want I'm sure that dude would share the dimension of the counter bored area around the lugs on your wheels and I could make you a set of lug rings that fill that area perfectly.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Deep offset 1.9's for lrhsr. Fits RC4WD steelie hubs.

got them thanks. awesome wheels will post mounted pics soon!!
Old 06-21-2014, 01:31 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

How long do you need to make a set? What is considered as standard design? I really like spoke design (because i have few of "holes" design) what are my options as far as standard is concerned?
Old 06-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #37
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgout View Post
How long do you need to make a set? What is considered as standard design? I really like spoke design (because i have few of "holes" design) what are my options as far as standard is concerned?
Anywhere from a couple of days to a week. It depends on how much time I have available to do machine work.

A "standard" design would be one that is fairly basic and can be made in a relatively short amount of time. Round holes or slots are what you can expect.

Spoke designs and D-window shapes, even though they look straightforward and basic, require quite a bit more setup and labor time to make.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #38

Hi what would it cost to get some wheels that were solid? No fancy designs just solid with a bead lock?
Old 06-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #39
Suck it up!

$65 is as cheap as they get.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

PM sent with pics.
Closed Thread

DCW Made to Order Delrin Wheels - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering/Suspension Aluminum, Titanium, Delrin links. Custom made Erik D_lux Chassis and Suspension 72 07-31-2020 05:28 PM
Ultralite Delrin D-Mount from DCW Duuuuuuuude Chassis and Suspension 239 08-05-2014 09:49 PM
Testing Interest: Made to order wheels Duuuuuuuude Tires and Wheels 52 05-19-2014 08:42 PM