RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vendors Tires and wheels (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vendors-tires-wheels/)
-   -   Pit bull rock beast xl (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vendors-tires-wheels/519150-pit-bull-rock-beast-xl.html)

THEPITBULL 12-18-2014 04:25 PM

Pit bull rock beast xl

Okay, so the word is out that we are making a Rock Beast XL 3.8 tire. That is true. We wanted to get into this 40 series/ XL market and figured that we might as well with our favorite Beast, the Rock Beast.

We've heard opinions all over the place about what OD and OW to use. So we're throwing it out to you...to find out what you think.

The new Yeti XL is kick ass...period. And we want our tires to work well with the Yeti XL as well with old school 40 series trucks. Not sure if this is a lofty and heady goal, but what the hell.

The BFG Krawler KX included with the truck are 7.25" OD and 2.9" OW.

Tell us what you think.

Sneetches 12-18-2014 06:46 PM

Re: Pit bull rock beast xl

This is awesome news. I voted 7.3" OD with 2.95" OW, since I'm pretty happy with the Krawler's size but it couldn't hurt to make them a teensy bit larger without throwing off the scale Yeti look much. I don't know how much that would affect the Summit and others but still, the more tires the better.

MattTheGenus 12-18-2014 08:48 PM

The wraith xl is imminent, and assuming it retains the long (proportionally) skid, I say go balls deep 9.25od

fr8cture 12-18-2014 09:00 PM

I was really hoping this was gonna be about a 1.9 XL..bummer...

Sneetches 12-19-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattTheGenus (Post 5041589)
The wraith xl is imminent, and assuming it retains the long (proportionally) skid, I say go balls deep 9.25od

What crystal ball are you looking into?

THEPITBULL 12-31-2014 03:58 PM

7.3X3.0-3.8 RIM

.21875 Tread Depth
.254 Tread Width

Ribbing from one bead to the other.

How does that sound?

67mustang 12-31-2014 04:36 PM

Find the maximum diameter that an xl will fit and make it that. I voted 9.25. Id say 2.8 width...a true crawling tire. 7.3x2.9 is too short and fat to crawl serious rocks.

Sneetches 01-01-2015 08:07 PM

After driving a bit more while thinking about the Rock Beasts, I think it would be better for a bigger diameter, however I just wonder about the high speed performance as well. It's pretty fun to cut loose with the Yeti after some crawling and just do some jumps/high speed driving. How would the turning at speed be with a 9" tall tire?

Joshs4x4toyz 01-02-2015 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneetches (Post 5100746)
After driving a bit more while thinking about the Rock Beasts, I think it would be better for a bigger diameter, however I just wonder about the high speed performance as well. It's pretty fun to cut loose with the Yeti after some crawling and just do some jumps/high speed driving. How would the turning at speed be with a 9" tall tire?

You would see a significantly more amount of rollover. I voted 9.25 for a nice very large crawling tire though"thumbsup" I have lots of foam in different density's I get from Fred Meyer so hopefully speed will not be a big issue.

Stormin2u 01-02-2015 06:25 AM

Todays 2.2 Beasts are in most cases to large hight and width for most SCX10 based scalers. Why not offer a scaled down 2.2 version as well to appeal to the SCX10 crowd? I've been very happy with your 1.9 Beasts but don't have anything the 2.2 will work with due to itheir size.

Sneetches 01-02-2015 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz (Post 5100960)
You would see a significantly more amount of rollover. I voted 9.25 for a nice very large crawling tire though"thumbsup" I have lots of foam in different density's I get from Fred Meyer so hopefully speed will not be a big issue.

That's basically what I figured. In a sense, I wouldn't mind because the Yeti has such a huge amount of body roll anyways, so perhaps the bigger tires wouldn't be too bad because most of my speedy driving is in a straight line off ramps anyways.

I recently took the truck onto a rock pile and was getting bottomed out where the Summit was simply driving on. In a sense, it would be great to get a tire that helps with clearance while not sacrificing too much of the high speed driving. I know that's probably trying to have my cake and eat it too, and compromising might just get a tire that doesn't do either thing particularly well. If it comes down to it, then I guess having the Pitbulls just be a true trail/crawling tire and leaving the high speed to others is perfectly fine.

67mustang 01-02-2015 01:47 PM

I think the last few posts are part of a great conversation.

I dont personally have a yeti xl....i was excited about it...but as soon as we all figured out that the xl comes with open diffs...I closed my wallet. I cant buy a rig with open diffs. I would have bought one if it at least had a locked rear. From what I understand, there is no aftermarket diff/spool/locker correct?

Either the xl is a crawler or its a basher. If its a basher, it needs wide tires. Result: poor performance in low speed situations. If its a crawler, it needs tall skinny tires and a locker. Result: Poor high speed performance. Obvious I know. The question: Will axial sell enough yeti xls to even encourage a line of 7.25-7.9 tires? If they do in fact release a locked up wraith xl...I would imagine people would require/desire 8.5"+ tires. There may be more "custom" rigs than yeti xls? I hope more people vote their minds in this thread. I have 1 year of tread left on my rok loks...if theres no tire on the market better...i guess ill purchase another set.

edit: I see 9.25 is the leading vote so far.

Sneetches 01-02-2015 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67mustang (Post 5101255)
I think the last few posts are part of a great conversation.

I dont personally have a yeti xl....i was excited about it...but as soon as we all figured out that the xl comes with open diffs...I closed my wallet. I cant buy a rig with open diffs. I would have bought one if it at least had a locked rear. From what I understand, there is no aftermarket diff/spool/locker correct?

Either the xl is a crawler or its a basher. If its a basher, it needs wide tires. Result: poor performance in low speed situations. If its a crawler, it needs tall skinny tires and a locker. Result: Poor high speed performance. Obvious I know. The question: Will axial sell enough yeti xls to even encourage a line of 7.25-7.9 tires? If they do in fact release a locked up wraith xl...I would imagine people would require/desire 8.5"+ tires. There may be more "custom" rigs than yeti xls? I hope more people vote their minds in this thread. I have 1 year of tread left on my rok loks...if theres no tire on the market better...i guess ill purchase another set.

edit: I see 9.25 is the leading vote so far.

There is no aftermarket lockers at the moment but with 500k oil in the front/rear, I've found that the truck can at least keep up with my Summit so far. I've started a video series about comparing the two and in the first test (crawling over a huge pile of rocks and concrete), the open diffs did sometimes hold me back but I simply had to get some wheel speed going then. In reality, the biggest problem was that I couldn't start one of the lines compared to the Summit because I kept getting bottomed out on the rocks in the beginning.

The problem to me is that the XL performs rather poorly with turning at speed to begin with. It is very easy to roll and has a ton of body roll without sway bars and suspension tuning. It is great at straight line/rock racing so in reality, bigger tires could still work well and would kill it on the rocks. With 500k oil in the diffs and if they were locked anyways, high speed turning would suffer regardless. After a new servo and new diff oil, the truck is the rock racer/all-terrain monster I imagined it to be and I don't regret the purchase at all.

Now if Pitbull wants to, I will gladly use my rig as a tester for some 9" XL tires :mrgreen:.

67mustang 01-02-2015 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneetches (Post 5101307)
The problem to me is that the XL performs rather poorly with turning at speed to begin with. It is very easy to roll and has a ton of body roll without sway bars and suspension tuning. It is great at straight line/rock racing so in reality, bigger tires could still work well and would kill it on the rocks. With 500k oil in the diffs and if they were locked anyways, high speed turning would suffer regardless:.

Absolutely. I didnt want to be the one to say so - as I dont own one. But i imagined it doesnt handle great anyway. If you are bottoming out and require wheelspeed to go where a summit goes..that just aint right.

If a guy were to "max out" the diameter of the tire without affecting tire scrub (i would guess 8.5)......slam it low.....and lock it up....it would go places the summit would never reach and most people would never go back to a stock diameter tire. Most folks on here will go from 5.5" tires to 5.75" tires and love the extra GC. When you go from 7.25" tires to 8.5" stuff you used to drag the belly on and throw your line off wont even touch. The chassis bottom is wide and not ideal which makes the GC that much more important.

I dont wanna come across as a negative person....I just see that the yeti xl could be much more than it is and way more capable than a summit. This is rccrawler. My crawlers dont do jumps and if i purchased a yeti xl, I certainly wouldnt be jumping it. But thats just me and my terrain. The more I think about it....the yeti xl has a serious identity crisis.

Not complaining about the xl...its a step in the right direction. I could still be a buyer if lockers came out. I would lock it up, tall skinny tires, slam it, slower motor/gearing, extend the wheelbase a tad if needed.

Hate to junk up a tire thread with yeti xl talk....but I think it is a conversation that needs to be had. I reckon specifications are important to get right when it comes to developing/marketing/manufacturing/$ales of rc tires.

Sneetches 01-02-2015 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67mustang (Post 5101332)
Absolutely. I didnt want to be the one to say so - as I dont own one. But i imagined it doesnt handle great anyway. If you are bottoming out and require wheelspeed to go where a summit goes..that just aint right.

If a guy were to "max out" the diameter of the tire without affecting tire scrub (i would guess 8.5)......slam it low.....and lock it up....it would go places the summit would never reach and most people would never go back to a stock diameter tire. Most folks on here will go from 5.5" tires to 5.75" tires and love the extra GC. When you go from 7.25" tires to 8.5" stuff you used to drag the belly on and throw your line off wont even touch. The chassis bottom is wide and not ideal which makes the GC that much more important.

I dont wanna come across as a negative person....I just see that the yeti xl could be much more than it is and way more capable than a summit. This is rccrawler. My crawlers dont do jumps and if i purchased a yeti xl, I certainly wouldnt be jumping it. But thats just me and my terrain. The more I think about it....the yeti xl has a serious identity crisis.

Not complaining about the xl...its a step in the right direction. I could still be a buyer if lockers came out. I would lock it up, tall skinny tires, slam it, slower motor/gearing, extend the wheelbase a tad if needed.

I understand, I've driven it since it's release and while I do love the truck, people seem to have issues figuring out what it is. To me, it was meant to be a scale looking U4 style truck that romps over rough terrain and looks cool doing it. To other people, they want a 1/8 scale monster truck like every 1/8 monster truggy out there. In Axial's video, they show an embarrassingly bad whoops session and call it a "monster buggy".

To me though, the platform is here and I really like it AS a U4 buggy that can crawl, do some light jumps, and just generally tears up trails. The wheelbase advantage over the Summit is apparent when traversing big rock lips, the Summit simply can't get over them but the Yeti's length and wheel speed allows it to bunny hop things. I do agree that the XL has a lot of potential but at the moment, the aftermarket stuff is still in production and our tires aren't big enough :mrgreen:.

If we get some lockers (or just diy lock), the 2-speed trans, and bigger tires, then I'm sure it can give any other truck a hard time.

Edit: On a side note, the only tires above 8" that look decent for the Yeti are the 40 series Rok-Lox...but of course there's no feedback on them yet.

67mustang 01-02-2015 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneetches (Post 5101344)

Edit: On a side note, the only tires above 8" that look decent for the Yeti are the 40 series Rok-Lox...but of course there's no feedback on them yet.

Rok lok performance is great....there is nothing like them only because there is nothing like them. If there was a better 8.5" crawling tire out there....i would have it. Hence my interest in this thread. The side lugs are badass. The center treads are too close together if you "air it down" like I do. If you have any foam in there it would not be an issue. The rubber is softer than the rockcrushers and the mudslingers but not near as soft as 2.2 tires. Thats why i have em aired way down on a ~8.5 lb rig. On a yeti xl...used as intended...I would wear them out in 9 months....a testament to the softness.

Sneetches 01-02-2015 06:04 PM

Well, I just got home here and checked. Unfortunately, the tires are pretty close under full steering as it is, so I think anything above 7.5" will result in serious rubbing. I haven't put bigger tires on at all yet though so I can't say for certain, I'll have to check with everyone else in the XL subsection.

67mustang 01-02-2015 06:20 PM

What if you got rid of the battery doors? I assume you are referring to them.

dezmoon 01-03-2015 11:29 AM

I Think You Guys Are Expecting To Much From The Yeti XL Expecting it to Be a Crawler, I Own 1,And Successfully Locked The Rear Diff with Some Silly Putty,,Simple and Cheep!! Now Back to The Rock Beast XL,,Were Trying To Keep The Tire Size Compatible With All Rigs,And I Stress All Rigs,From Bashers,Racers and Large Scale Crawlers, Ive Seen The Performance Of All The Aftermarket Tall 40series Tires and The Only Out Of the Box Good Performer Was The Old ProLine Moab XL in G8..The Axial BFG is a Nice Tire,But After Inspecting and Goin Through It 100% It Left Me Wanting, A To Tall Tire Will Cause Performance Lag, And Only Give You Ground Clearance , Anything Over 8inch Would Be Silly, 7.3 x 3 is a Solid Size That Keeps the Yeti XL pretty Much Right On Point For Its Performance,,The Rig Is Tons Of Fun With The Testing Ive Done..

Bananaclip 01-03-2015 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fr8cture (Post 5041699)
I was really hoping this was gonna be about a 1.9 XL..bummer...

I agree with fracture. A taller narrower 1.9 would destroy all. You guys know it"thumbsup"