Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Official venom factory support thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #681
Quarry Creeper

i just got my kit today and it DOES have the pin retainers for the axles....

part number is #8409 CREEPER AXLE PIN RETAINER
rybredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #682

Angry Lost rear drive!!

Ok, finally gave my son the Creeper Safari today for his birthday (after I played with it for awhile while he wasn't there of course!), and before we even took it outside, it lost the rear drive. The drive shafts are connected and turning so it's not that. If you turn one rear wheel, the other one turns in the opposite direction, so the diff should be good - I think it's something in the tranny. Any ideas before I tear it apart and email Venom???
mwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #683
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalters View Post
Ok, finally gave my son the Creeper Safari today for his birthday (after I played with it for awhile while he wasn't there of course!), and before we even took it outside, it lost the rear drive. The drive shafts are connected and turning so it's not that. If you turn one rear wheel, the other one turns in the opposite direction, so the diff should be good - I think it's something in the tranny. Any ideas before I tear it apart and email Venom???
with what you just said the diff is unlocked. does the rear axle turn freely when you grab both rear tires and turn in the same direction?
if they do not, then the diff came unlocked and needs to be relocked by sliding the selector over and relock it.
if they do, inspect the drive shafts set screws at the axle and dig. if those are tight, the problem may be related to the dig unit. ive never ran a creeper dig as i switched over to a axial tranny. but ive heard that theres a spring on the selector that should be fully tightend down. also may even check your epa's on your controler.
if you cant find it with these possibities, you may have to tear into it...
lazynocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:26 AM   #684

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazynocturnal View Post
with what you just said the diff is unlocked. does the rear axle turn freely when you grab both rear tires and turn in the same direction?
if they do not, then the diff came unlocked and needs to be relocked by sliding the selector over and relock it.
if they do, inspect the drive shafts set screws at the axle and dig. if those are tight, the problem may be related to the dig unit. ive never ran a creeper dig as i switched over to a axial tranny. but ive heard that theres a spring on the selector that should be fully tightend down. also may even check your epa's on your controler.
Nevermind - I'm an idiot. I had a chance to check it more carefully and the set screw had come out of the joint next to the DIG unit. As far as your comment about the diff though, the Safaris come pre-built, so the diff is unlocked from the factory - someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it was when we got it. I just figured they left it unlocked so it would turn better....but now that I think about it, it would climb a lot better with it locked, and if I need to turn sharp, I can always use the DIG!

By the way, how the heck do you keep those stupid set screws tight? I put blue loctite on them, but they are so small, you can't get much torque on them before the allen key slips.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #685
Pebble Pounder

Default beadlocks

i heard that the new kits have beadlocks with larger screws. is this true? i have very tiny screws on mine that love to strip out. i only mounted one set of tires and just decided to get new rims.....
floundern45rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:58 AM   #686

Quote:
Ok, I had a chance to check the truck more thoroughly, and the set screw was loose at the DIG. Re-locked that and all good. So we went out crawling yesterday, and the rear diff coming un-locked is really annoying. Have to do a search to try to find out how to keep it locked, short of JB welding the thing inside!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #687

just got mine a few weeks ago and the wheels still have the small screws with the new updated axle kit and the Drive shafts get updated as well bigger set screw..
vengeance1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #688

Quote:
Ok, got a chance to look at the truck in more detail, and in fact the drive shaft at the DIG was slipping - grub screw was loose. The rear diff was un-locked, but I thought that was the way it was from the factory and you had to lock it yourself with the lever. So I slid the lever over to lock it, but it just won't stay locked while crawling. What am I doing wrong?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #689
Quarry Creeper

+1 on the small wheel bolts......mine has them too.....and yes they do love to strip hehe!
rybredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #690

hello,i just got the Venom Safari Creeper, mounted the battery , and i had a big surprise...the reverse throttle is not working, i think the esc has a problem....i kindly ask for an advice.Thank you.
aztekstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #691
S2O

Bought a creeper from tower hobbies, on the initial run on flat carpet the rear pinion gear has stripped out two teeth, anyone run into this before?
S2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #692

yeah, tried to climb over a pebble and something broke in the front diff I think... It also looks like there is a locking pin where the wheel attaches to the axle that is also broken as the front wheel is spinning freely now... I already had 2 esc's that needed to be replaced, not too happy...
aprilialuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #693
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2O View Post
Bought a creeper from tower hobbies, on the initial run on flat carpet the rear pinion gear has stripped out two teeth, anyone run into this before?
yes the early ones had the problem call them up and they will send you a new one
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #694
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalters View Post
Ok, got a chance to look at the truck in more detail, and in fact the drive shaft at the DIG was slipping - grub screw was loose. The rear diff was un-locked, but I thought that was the way it was from the factory and you had to lock it yourself with the lever. So I slid the lever over to lock it, but it just won't stay locked while crawling. What am I doing wrong?
your not doing anything wrong the diff lockers are not great so just JBweld it locked and be done everyone else has done it and has had no problem
Old 04-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #695
S2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw27x View Post
yes the early ones had the problem call them up and they will send you a new one
This is the updated kit with the new parts! But I will try contacting them.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #696
RCC Addict

it might have the update parts but you never now
Old 04-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #697
S2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw27x View Post
it might have the update parts but you never now

yep, so the fed ex just dropped off my new ring and pinion gear so we'll be up and running again this weekend!
Old 05-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #698

Called venom on tuesday and spoke with Jason about my diff housings being replaced. Great customer service, got two replacements and the one piece skid plate. Now just waiting on fed ex to deliver.
logcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #699
Quarry Creeper

I have to say Venom has top notch service, my daughters Safari shipped with a loose motor( I know I did not see it ) but with no questions asked shipped me a new set of gears for the trans. I did call and have to leave a message but I received a call back within 2 hours. I was prepaired to spend some money on upgrading drive shafts and axle shafts but was shocked when the upgrades came in the box, now we have more funds for motor and ESC upgrades. I tip my hat to Venom, my daughter and I can't wait for the gears to get here so we can she what she can do. Thanks Again
OurJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #700
Quarry Creeper

Default mislabeled bags

http://flic.kr/p/9KXV6c

clearly theses parts are not the same
cguit is offline   Reply With Quote