Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Official venom factory support thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 12:52 AM   #101

Is there a way to identify if the axles I have are the over treated ones? I bought my kit from TCS. Also would it be benefical to grind a flat on the stub axles for the grub screw to bite on and use 2 grub screws to hold the aluminium hex in place.This may relieve the stress on the pin and hence stop the pin breaking.
lordy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #102
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordy49 View Post
Is there a way to identify if the axles I have are the over treated ones? I bought my kit from TCS. Also would it be benefical to grind a flat on the stub axles for the grub screw to bite on and use 2 grub screws to hold the aluminium hex in place.This may relieve the stress on the pin and hence stop the pin breaking.
yeah, just tighten the nuts down real good. If you hear a POP, that means its broken. I know they have a office in Australia and i bet they have the new axles too.

I think if you made a flat spot, it would help them not twist and slide out, but if they are the over heated ones they will break unfortunatly. Perhaps you could heat them up and cool them very slowly?? Just an idea, but basicaly, if you have a bad one, its gonna need to be replaced.

Venom is being very proactive about helping with these rad lil crawlers.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #103

Default I took the plunge today.

I went ahead and went with the creeper. I hope I have good lick with it. I got the truck and back ordered the dig and 1 remote diff setup. I cant wait till it comes in. I think I will like it alot.

Chris and the guys a Venom thanks for offering all of the support. You seem to be a company that is loyal to there customers.
bluezephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #104
Rock Stacker

Chris,

Is it possible to get a package of about 5 spare straight and 5 bent upper and lower link ends? I was hoping I didn't have to buy new links just to get the link ends I need. I should have known this was coming since I just broke one of the short axle ends on the same side a week ago. Oh well, please let me know so I can order parts tomorrow one way or another.

Thank you.
RetVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #105

Default When will it end? Venom Creeper breakage

I haven't even driven my Creeper for real and it has broken twice. First the stub axle, no big surprise I read that thread before I purchased and bought the creeper any way. I would probably would be out wheelin' right now if I had gone with the ax10. But I still like the creeper better, at least on paper, drove for like 30 sec after installing the new stub axle. The stub axle broke as I was installing the last wheel! Any way after a short run the ball end on the long front axle shaft broke. Damn. any one else having this problem? or did I get another defective part? Now I am worried about breaking the bent ball joint ends on the lower links, arg I just want to go wheelin'. and I need to get a skid plate. arg!
twigg425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:31 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
yeah, just tighten the nuts down real good. If you hear a POP, that means its broken. I know they have a office in Australia and i bet they have the new axles too.

I think if you made a flat spot, it would help them not twist and slide out, but if they are the over heated ones they will break unfortunatly. Perhaps you could heat them up and cool them very slowly?? Just an idea, but basicaly, if you have a bad one, its gonna need to be replaced.

Venom is being very proactive about helping with these rad lil crawlers.
Do you think annealing the axles will stop the breaking and if so how hot do I go before slow cooling??
lordy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:28 AM   #107
Pebble Pounder

hey lordy
i think if you get the part almost yellow by heating it and then dunk it in the thickest oil ya can find(gear oil is real thick)it should fix it....but it may not,the steel may already be to far gone.....

geez,i hope i dont break anything building the customers rig......

at least the venom distributor is here in sydney though.....its in alexandria,near the airport
Peli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #108

Same here, I broke two of them in about 3 hours crawling the other day. When are the HD ones comming out Chris????? I have 3 kits and have had to rob some off my spare kit, will you replace these like you are the axles? Can I get a couple? I too dont want to keep ordering the whole link set just to get the rod end! Thanks for the great support so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet View Post
Chris,

Is it possible to get a package of about 5 spare straight and 5 bent upper and lower link ends? I was hoping I didn't have to buy new links just to get the link ends I need. I should have known this was coming since I just broke one of the short axle ends on the same side a week ago. Oh well, please let me know so I can order parts tomorrow one way or another.

Thank you.
mwelch15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #109

Chris or Venom R&D

I have noticed in some videos that the creeper seems to lift the right front wheel while climbing steep inclines is this the way this rig handles or is it due to porr setup. My AX10 doesn't do this. To me a crawler needs to keep both front wheels planted hard on the surface because that is where the largest percentage of pulling and climbing is. I do understand that there will be some twist due to torque but I just think that this is too obvious.

Thanks Blue.
bluezephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #110
Rock Stacker

well all i know is i rather have a venom creeper than an ax10! Just bacause the customer support here in idaho is sooo great!! I had them send my 4 cvd sets, 2 bearings, a tranny plug, and even two new rims since i spun the hub in 2 of mine when i had a horrible run away. THANKS SO MUCH VENOM
Good to do business
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #111

i broke an axle shaft and venom immedeitly sent me a new one plus a few stub axles, plus with what ive done to mine it crawls better than all the other ax10s i run with, so the creeper is the best way to go!!!
CO_Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #112
Pebble Pounder

Hey guys sorry been a way just a little bit.

@ReVet
Right off I'd say no but if we have an opened package then we can make it happen I would think. PM me and I'll follow up.

@bluezephyr
Thats probably due more to set up than anything else. It is a shafty rig with a ring and pinion so torque effects will come into play at some point. The inner springs are the anitroll bar of the chassis and they work very well to handle the torque. The more extreme you go the more tuning you will need to do so set up will be more critical as you go along.

The link ends will be beefed up in production as a running change.

If any parts have a defect then we will replace them of course but if we are upgrading part that we feel can be improved from the original design and they work ok as is then its just an improvement to production. Like a new model car or motorcycle the next model is improved in some way, same here.

Thanks you guys for the kind words and support we appreciate it and it keeps us going so we can make more cool stuff for you.

Let me know if I missed your question,

Chris

New parts on the way soon
skid plate
updated link ends

Tip for Remote Diff Lock Kit
Use a small spring and a pair of washers inbetween the locking lever and the cable guide to assist the lever in locking the diff with the servo. There will be an update to the DL kit that will include the spring and washers very soon.
CRAWLINGAROUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #113
Rock Stacker

Thank you, Chris. PM sent.
RetVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #114
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLINGAROUND View Post
Tip for Remote Diff Lock Kit
Use a small spring and a pair of washers inbetween the locking lever and the cable guide to assist the lever in locking the diff with the servo. There will be an update to the DL kit that will include the spring and washers very soon.
did this any it works perfect, and i didnt need washers, just robbed two cheap ball point pens. looking at my lawn mower, its the same setup for the throttle, dont know why i didnt do this before! much cleaner than a hair tie! thanks Chris.

ALSO - I need pins for my axles, only ones i can find come with the complete axle for $10 at the LHS, they really need to be sold separately, I haven't found any the same size from somewhere else, i ended up cutting down a screw from a dead servo that was close to the right size and added a bit of superglue to hold it in.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #115

Thumbs down factory support

Just wanted to let every one know the support I got was little.
Made severial attemps to bring forth issues that I had.
Did recieve a tire to replace a bad one , after third call, but for the other problems well I did what was asked, sent pics of stripped spider gears. not even a reply. The bad outer axil end that was not drilled for the pin for the drive hub,I drilled as instructed, told no parts were avalible, the end cracked.Then the worst part is the $14 shipping for the wheel weights.that havent got to try yet because of all the above. Wish i new that you needed to bye two creepers to have one. May not of bought in.I hope to be able to get parts soon from Tower Hobbies , Just listed what I need to fix. And still no dig avalible that I can find.:-( Will be looking @ the new losi May be the better bang for the buck!!!!!!
catcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #116

I still haven't seen my replacement stub axles or axle shaft. I want to know where this lengendary customer support is. I am going on a 3 weeks, and I have only driven my creeper for about a minuit and a half.
twigg425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #117
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcrawler View Post
Just wanted to let every one know the support I got was little.
Made severial attemps to bring forth issues that I had.
Did recieve a tire to replace a bad one , after third call, but for the other problems well I did what was asked, sent pics of stripped spider gears. not even a reply. The bad outer axil end that was not drilled for the pin for the drive hub,I drilled as instructed, told no parts were avalible, the end cracked.Then the worst part is the $14 shipping for the wheel weights.that havent got to try yet because of all the above. Wish i new that you needed to bye two creepers to have one. May not of bought in.I hope to be able to get parts soon from Tower Hobbies , Just listed what I need to fix. And still no dig avalible that I can find.:-( Will be looking @ the new losi May be the better bang for the buck!!!!!!
I too am having a hard time getting ahold of venom both via email and phone.... might just have to drive up there tomorrow, and hope they are in stock.

I burnt up a 55t fireball, axle pins and a driveline.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #118
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
I need pins for my axles, only ones i can find come with the complete axle for $10 at the LHS, they really need to be sold separately, I haven't found any the same size from somewhere else, i ended up cutting down a screw from a dead servo that was close to the right size and added a bit of superglue to hold it in.

Check page 4 of this thread post number 80 to see if this will work for you.
1\4elliptic toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #119
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1\4elliptic toy View Post
Yes, I have destroyed a few of them, You can go down to you local hardware store and ask for "music wire" for piano's they have a size (.78 ) I think. it comes in like 3 foot lengths, cut it a hair long with side cutters, tap the end on your grinder to flatten out the cut, slide it in and tighten the set screw, (it fits amazingly well) then I put a small ring of 1/2 heat shrink tubing around it to keep it from possibly coming out if the set screw gets loose. You can make about 100 pins from 1 length of wire for about a $1.00 and they are plenty strong, I have some replacement pins from venom but I am still runnning the music wire in one rear shaft with no problems.
is this the same size as for the axles?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #120

the piano wire works great i got some and have needed it more than once, when my parts broke i called 1-800-705-0620, its the venom number i found, i called them and was helped immeditly, they sent me my parts and within 3 days they were at my house, im really sorry you guys are having troubles, if you havent called this number give it a shot

Last edited by CO_Crawler; 02-20-2009 at 01:03 PM.
CO_Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote