Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Official venom factory support thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #121

Thumbs up

I bought the venom creeper, after a few weeks of debate. Aside from the 3 days it took to build. due to a few missing screws and poor labeling of the screws:?. I love my little beast. I had only run it for half an hour before I was put into my first comp at my LHS . The creeper ran all night with no problems. I finished the comp. I didn't do that good, not due to equipment, but driver inability. It was the only Creeper there out of 30 or so rigs, It performed better than most of the stock scorpions. Who do I talk to about ideas to improve it?

Thanks For a Great Rig.
Thurzday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #122

I've Tried to talk with them{ PAUL an DAVE } by phone and email.
I think they only want to here the good an not deal with the problems.
catcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigg425 View Post
I haven't even driven my Creeper for real and it has broken twice. First the stub axle, no big surprise I read that thread before I purchased and bought the creeper any way. I would probably would be out wheelin' right now if I had gone with the ax10. But I still like the creeper better, at least on paper, drove for like 30 sec after installing the new stub axle. The stub axle broke as I was installing the last wheel! Any way after a short run the ball end on the long front axle shaft broke. Damn. any one else having this problem? or did I get another defective part? Now I am worried about breaking the bent ball joint ends on the lower links, arg I just want to go wheelin'. and I need to get a skid plate. arg!
I just got my parts today... finally, within 2 minuets I broke the axle that I just replaced. So lets see, I have spent $450 so far and have wheeled for about 3 1/2 minuets... and it is Friday afternoon, I doubt anyone will respond to the message I left at 3:45.

Chris, please help me before I go insane, or broke, which ever comes first.
twigg425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #124
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
is this the same size as for the axles?

I'm pretty sure it is the same diameter, it may be a different length but you can cut what you need.
1\4elliptic toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #125
Quarry Creeper

cool, i found a place in town who has .078 rod hardend, have to wait until they open on monday, but then i will have tons of spares...

when it comes time to remove the servo screw i have doing the job now, you think some heat will break down the superglue keeping it bonded to the metal? ive held parts over the gas stove before to break up threadlocker.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #126
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
cool, i found a place in town who has .078 rod hardend, have to wait until they open on monday, but then i will have tons of spares...

when it comes time to remove the servo screw i have doing the job now, you think some heat will break down the superglue keeping it bonded to the metal? ive held parts over the gas stove before to break up threadlocker.

I think it is .78 make sure to take the axle with you.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #127

.78, 3/4''???
klip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:43 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by klip View Post
.78, 3/4''???

.078 or seventy eight thousandths

I just went to the local hardware store and got nine feet for four dollars, at 13/16ths a whack it should last a little while
twigg425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #129
Rock Stacker

Default only prob was a shock

hey guys, first time postin... just got my creeper two weeks ago, finally got it built ( do NOT try to build with a three yr old girl around.... the questions alone will drive you to hard drug use... lol. just kiddin). pretty decently easy build, i did hate the fact that all the hardware was in one bag. searching for bolts drove me nuts... no problems with anything except for one shock... the shock tube had a booger or something in it... actually, it felt like a lip, as in about a 1/4 inch down, the diameter got smallr... and, i didnt notice it until i tried to put the piston in... broke the damn thing in half. lol (gorilla hands) not a problem, since i had some extras layin in the tool box.. had to do some shaving on the tube and piston, but got it together... overall, i give it about a 9 and a half. cant wait till my goat crawler system gets here.... i wish i could win the lottery so i could build all my crap at once. lol... later
hiperbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:36 AM   #130

Hiperbeast

I'm right there with ya my 2 and a half year old likes to help me too. Thats ok cause with crawlers they go slow enough that even they can drive them out in the yard. My little one drove my axial in the yard last week and she only hit the house once. I told her shes not supposed to hit the house and somehow she steered clear of it for the next 20 min that she ran it. So basically she holds the throttle wide open and she justs steer's it around, but she's doing great. I will let her play as long as shes interested.

As far as the creeper goes I will have mine finished today. The Hardware bag is a pain, and the parts fit could be better. I like this rig though I just hope that I got lucky with my shafts. I will do olot of testing aroud the house before I go to the rocks.

The only problem I encountered was that one of my hex's was not threaded so it wont stay on by its self. So I will be contacting Venom today. If this was the only problem then thats not bad. because its still functionable. Much better than having the part being missing.
bluezephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #131
Rock Stacker

I had good luck my first kit and far as all the parts being there. I did break a stub axle 5 mins in though. I just ordered a second creeper and am keeping my fingers crossed that all the parts are in the box. Overall I like the creeper amd give it a 9. Get me a skidplate and it would be a 10
hoplesshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #132
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplesshunter View Post
I had good luck my first kit and far as all the parts being there. I did break a stub axle 5 mins in though. I just ordered a second creeper and am keeping my fingers crossed that all the parts are in the box. Overall I like the creeper amd give it a 9. Get me a skidplate and it would be a 10

X2 on the tranny skid
ktmkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #133
Rock Stacker

I see they opened a form for the skidplate, so hopfully everyone starts showing us there clever ideas.:-P
hoplesshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #134
Rock Stacker

Talking Gotta Love it !!

I bought my creeper this past Sunday, it took two evenings to put it together with only minor issues such as, each package of screws not being labled, the TINY hex heads kept stripping out before the screw was in all the way little lone before it was tight and had to rebuild the differentials a few times before I got the right combination of yokes to keep the steering arm from rubbing on the skid plate( those should be labled front and rear for us dummies :-P ) This is my first time putting together an RC car from what I would consider scratch and it was next to painless ..... So far I am impressed ! I hope that doesnt change !
CleptoLeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #135

Ok so last night it happened first the Center drive line stripped at the yoke. no big deal. I cut down a MIP Traxxas drive line worked. Then the sheer pin broke the shaft yoke which caused it to roll over and snapped the shaft in half at the hub. Calling venom for replacement. Will the axil hub shafts work for the time being?:?
Thurzday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #136
Quarry Creeper

If anyone is having trouble getting the diff to lock again after putting the remote kit in, a spring from a pen is a must have and makes it work flawless for me. I didnt need any washers.

username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #137

Venom R&D

Can you give us an update on the new skid plate for the trans? Are you guys working on one?
bluezephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #138
Pebble Pounder

The new skid plate is coming, I dont have a date but its in production.
The Diff Lock kit got an update with a spring to assist the locker so its easier to set up.
We are expecting our next shipment in about a week and that will have the improved manual and hardware packaging as well as all the steel correctly heat treated so we see an end to that gremlin

Ive also made the springs a tiny bit stiffer for future production so you have to use less preload on the shock body. I found there was an advantage for the stock kit to have a little more spring over the current spring tension. It holds the ride height better and gives you a little more clearance on rocks.
CRAWLINGAROUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #139
Rock Stacker

hey chris! i totally boogered my pinion gear . stripped out the set screw hole. damn these gorilla hands. lol .prolly a good thing, since i went brushless and i read on here somewhere to go down a couple teeth or something. could you give me an idea on what i need to get? im runnin a novak goat crawler system with the 18.5 motor. thanks in advance. devon
hiperbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #140
Quarry Creeper

Chris give us an update on the DIG system.......