Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: venom electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default venom electronics

i will be picking up a venom creeper here in the next few weeks and was wondering what knid of electronics would be best to use. i have almost no knowledge of crawlers (i used to race a AE rc10 for a few yeras) and have kind of been out of rc until now. so what works best and what doesnt radios,servos,recievers,motors,ect.. thanks
nwnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

There is quite a bit to choose from out there still. Your going to want reverse so that narrows things down, choose between Brushless and Brushed (some do both now) and whats your budget?
I use a Novak Super Rooster I had from long ago that was new in the box, I like it, and I use our 55T Fireball Crawler brushed motor which has proven to be bullet proof since last summer. Smooth driving combo, brushed has a real nice feedback while brushless is very powerful but somewhat more touchy to drive.

For batteries I use a Venom X-Pack 2S 3200mah Lipo pack (the black one), plenty of runtime and power and its still light. You want to avoid using a heavy pack and most guys are running capacities much smaller than you might think like 2100mah and less with Lipos. Use a 6 cell 2400mah Nimh pack if your not into Lipos, no larger for best results.

For a servo, as suggested in the manual, your really best off with anything over 120in/oz. I use a JR 8611 Digital servo, about 200in/oz, and some of the robotic servos are awesome with more than 300in/oz. Again budget comes into play, servos can be $100-$200 and more.

Radio, if you just want to get out and drive then any 2ch will work. If you plan to take full advantage of the capabilities of the Creeper then you might consider a stick radio system and get at least 6 channels for future expansion. I really recommend a Spektrum or 2.4ghz system, plus the added bonus if you decide to fly planes/heli's you can do that too!

Lots of info out there, take your time and ask more questions.

Chris
CRAWLINGAROUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

not sure on budget yet but i want to build it right the first time. im not looking at comps (maybe later )just playin around in the yard and dinking around with friends. but i dont know jack about lipos so ill look into them and im sure i have an old 2 channel layin around. but thanks for the info its good having a rep give you advice on stuff like this. and where in the northwest are you located its kind of a big area lol
nwnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLINGAROUND View Post

For batteries I use a Venom X-Pack 2S 3200mah Lipo pack (the black one), plenty of runtime and power and its still light. You want to avoid using a heavy pack and most guys are running capacities much smaller than you might think like 2100mah and less with Lipos. Use a 6 cell 2400mah Nimh pack if your not into Lipos, no larger for best results.
whats the downside to using a larger pack? i have been running 6 cell 3800mah Nimh since i built it.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

larger heavier packs not good for CG. more prone to rollovers.
with lipo much lighter. Most guys are getting crawler specific combos such as Tekin FSR and Novak Rooster and Goat systems.
For servos, metal gear, at least Hitec 645 to start with, then into the the heavyweights with 200in/oz plus.
emidyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Cool no problem, we are in Hayden, ID.

Chris
CRAWLINGAROUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

as for 2.4 ghz radio i'd recommend Airtronics radio. Much better 2.4ghz technology than Spektrum or even Futaba.
For 3ch - http://www.airtronics.net/airtronics_MX_3FHSS.asp
For >3ch - http://www.airtronics.net/airtronics_RDS8000.asp (now you can get this one with 2nd receiver fo free, for your plane and for your advanced vehicle)

before i discovered all the coolness of Airtronics i have bought Spektrum dx6i :-(, but i have bought MX3-FHSS for surface use.
Alex.G is offline   Reply With Quote