Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Another creeper and more carnage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Another creeper and more carnage

Well the wife wanted one too so we went to our local hobby store and picked up our 2nd creeper last night. I took about 6 hours to build start to finish. We took them both out today she broke a stub axle about 10 seconds after it hit dirt, Then I broke another one just by tightening the nut on a wheel change.

On mine I added 1 pound of weight to each of my front tires (the venom weights) and a half pound to each rear tire and man that was all I need to break all kinds of parts, I broke 2 axle pins (the ones that hold the stubs to the shaft), both front c hubs, a steering nuckle and both lockers stopped working as well (but they are still engaged), all in about 35 minutes time, I dont think these things are made to handle this kind of weight. Every breakage was just under normal hard wheeling, not hopping or from tumbling down the hill, In fact we were very careful not to let them tumble just because we didnt want to break any more of the potentialy bad stub shafts. I have not pulled the axle housings apart yet but will soon to see what happened in there.....

So you after marketguys need to get on making some upgraded c-hubs, sterring nuckles, chromoly pins and shafts and diff cases to start.
Attached Images

1\4elliptic toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Wow that is slightly impressive. If you ran an axial would it have broken the same?
88_Pathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

At the risk of sounding negative about this crawler....... this amount of damage under normal use would be unacceptable to me! I hope they can take care of you on this.
Gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I own (2) creepers, One for me one for the wife, There are a few issues that need addressed, You can read my other posts to find out what I have broken on mine so far. You can order replacement axles from venom, when you order your kit. For the most part we are very happy with ours, for the money they have alot of "upgrades" out of the box.........

So This not a in your face smarta$$ coment but do you still think they are worth it? I do understand there will be problems with all new products . I wish you the best of luck and I will follow you as you go along.
boisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisetrucker View Post
I own (2) creepers, One for me one for the wife, There are a few issues that need addressed, You can read my other posts to find out what I have broken on mine so far. You can order replacement axles from venom, when you order your kit. For the most part we are very happy with ours, for the money they have alot of "upgrades" out of the box.........

So This not a in your face smarta$$ coment but do you still think they are worth it? I do understand there will be problems with all new products . I wish you the best of luck and I will follow you as you go along.
I will take the good with the bad...the parts that broke are plastic, other than the "bad" overheat treated axles and the pins, I took the diffs apart and they had just slipped out again, so there was no damage there....Yes I think they are still worth it.... I kinda figured those parts wouls fail because they are plastic... aftermarket parts will be out soon and that will fix those issues. The same thing happened with axials before they had aftermarket support. Keep in mind this rig weigh's in at around 8 pounds.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_Pathy View Post
Wow that is slightly impressive. If you ran an axial would it have broken the same?
I think if it was stock with that kind of weight we would have seen similar issues.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

haha even my axial thats there is nothing left plastic on it breaks you have seen it haha. except mine was a 20ft cliff dive hahaha. hope you get that thing going so we can go wheel it some more. i got the new dig put on. this one seems ten times better and if it doesnt work its going in the garbage haha.
webster420 is offline   Reply With Quote