Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: evostyle's cReePEr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #1

Default evostyle's cReePEr

Venom Creeper / NOVAK GOAT 18.5 system / Flight Power 7.4v EVO25 1800mah / JR Z9100T servo

Custom paint by Kevin Burrit (Saint Louis) Sno Camel Racing!!!!

check it out

evostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #2

Sorry the pics turned out SSSOOOO BIGGG!

Plus side is you'll get to see the details!

Next week I'll have the heavy wheel weights installed AND the rear remote diff lock system.

I took extra caution when tightening down the wheel nut becuase of defective weak axles but I don't expect them to last long on the rocks. We'll see. Also, I had no issues with missing screws or parts. The kit is really nice. The only problem I found was 4 out of 12 screw holes that hold on the beadlocks to the rims where already stripped from the manufacturer. Venom installed 2 screws of 6 per beadlock on each side of the wheel. When I removed the screw you could see they were overtighted when initially installed. Every screw removed had plastic from the wheel imbedded in the screw threads. Other than that all was good.

Hope the axles are in stock! I'll be testing it tonight at the new STL Crawl in Saint Louis, MO.

Last edited by evostyle; 01-29-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Nice work, very clean, good job!

Chris
CRAWLINGAROUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #4

OK... this is my first crawler. I've driven the AXIAL ARTR with a GOAT and 9100T. I have also driven a full custom with AXIAL axles. I ran both of these for less than 5 minutes prior to last night on the same rock pile. Let me just say that the Creeper made it easy compared to the other two rigs! I couldn't believe how much more control I had. I was also impressed with the small turning radius WITH the diff LOCKED! The only thing that broke was the front CVD pin. At first I though it had just worked it's way loose and fell out. But after I diassembled it you could still see half of it still there being held in by the set screw. It's amazing that the creepers drive train can handle that sort of pressure and SHEAR a 2 X 12MM drive pin. Much easier to replace and cheaper than any other driveline component. I do recall having it bound up between two big rocks and hearing a pop. I'm sure that's when it let go.

The tires also worked very well even without the weights. I did a back to back comparision by using my friends Pro-line Hammer M2's mounted on Axial wheels with 6 oz. per wheel. I'm not sure if it was the tires or the weights but the rig climbed even better. I had more traction on the same rocks. I'm betting with the stock tires and some weights they would perform just as good if not better. I did notice when I was in a tight spot that the sidewall bite of the stock tires usually made the difference of getting out.

After running it I plan on making a few changes. I think nothing on the chassis needs to be done! The stock body is too big. I plan to use a smaller one most likely by pro-line. The tires will also get changed out. Tires make all the difference and not every tire works for every condition. This is more of a tuning aid depending on the conditions encountered. I'll be adding weights and the diff lock system. THATS IT!!!

Also, I did test mount a Pro-line Hammer tire to one of the creepers wheels / beadlocks with no problems. The beadlocks hold the square bead of the Pro-lines well.

Last edited by evostyle; 01-30-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Shearing the pin is very common. Call venom and they will hook you up. Great guys over there.
88_Pathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #6

sick paint!
Stevek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_Pathy View Post
Shearing the pin is very common. Call venom and they will hook you up. Great guys over there.
Thanks! I'll take a bag. Something has to give right. Cheap and easy to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevek View Post
sick paint!
Thanks!!
Old 01-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Very nice job everything looks clean. I did not see an BEC.
Are you running one?
ktmkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #9

No external BEC. Using the built in GOATS BEC.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Nice job.....looks sweet
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #11
Donkey Punch Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evostyle View Post
No external BEC. Using the built in GOATS BEC.
You are missing out on the power of that servo. Install yourself a Castle BEC, after you have programed it for 6.0 volt output. You won't be sorry for less then $25.
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller View Post
You are missing out on the power of that servo. Install yourself a Castle BEC, after you have programed it for 6.0 volt output. You won't be sorry for less then $25.
The GOAT actually puts out 6V at 5 Amps according to the Novak site.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #13

I decided not to get the weight for the stock wheels because I chose to go with a different wheel setup. I'm ordering three kits tomorrow from checkered flag for me and some buddies. We should have plenty of support now at the track, you wont be the lonely Venom Creeper! Hopefully I'll see you next thrusday night at practice. If I can make it up there this thurs, do you think you could get a body to your paint guy for me?? Just wondering. Thanks. Matt
mwelch15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #14

Hey Matt!

What tires and wheels are you going with? I just got the weights today and they work great! I also got the M3 Hammers but decided to return them for the Hot Bodies Rovers instead. Also, unless you have a 3rd channel radio that is able to adjust the end points don't bother with the remote diff lock. I got it today but unless I plan to using my DX7 it really won't work with the Helios radio. The 3rd channel is not adjustable. It's either sevro all the way to one end or the other. 120 degrees of rotation when it only need about 30 degrees of movement total. BUMMER. I would really like to stick with the wheeled radio. I also decided to get the ROCKSTAR body by proline. It's nice and small. Looks great too. I'll have to show you my body post mod!!! No more hangups for me OR lost body pins.

Glad to hear more creepers are on the way!!!! You might consider picking up some 2x12mm pins for the CVD's. The stock black ones seem rather easy to break. Could be a good thing as it's better than replacing other parts when something gives.

Hope fully Kevin will be there Thursday. If not I'll get the body to him.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #15

Its funny I found you on here. I was looking through the forum and saw the pics of the truck and knew right away. Shame its not that pretty anymore. I decided to go with the VP Revolver wheels. I like the weight system with the slugs. At least while we are still tuning with weight it should make it easy to mix it up. I also ordered the Rovers after looking up some info on them, good suggestion! I'm not sure what I'm doing with the foam yet, I'll probably run it uncut first just to see and go from there. I also just picked up the rockstar body from checkered flag. It would be great if I could give that body to you on Thurs with some money and get it painted. Or if you could get me in touch with Kevin. I start back to work tonight at 10pm so I'm pretty much worthless until next monday at 8am then I'm off for 7 days again. I decided to just backorder the dig instead of the diff lockers, I only have a 3 channel. I think I can adjust the epa on my 3PK? My crawlers will be here Wed or Thurs!
Old 02-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #16

Weights now added to the wheels. New body with a quicky paint job.

Next one (rockstar) in the EVO scheme.

***ALSO*** Thanks "Paul" at Venom for the extra axles!! Just got them. Great customer service and FAST....
Old 02-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #17

That body looks great on there! Nice Posts! I ordered a second set already incase I mess them up the first try. You will have to show me how you did that so clean. I'm trying to think how I want mine painted. Our paint scheme is so close on our racers. Does Kevin paint the logos too? Thats great work. I have RC8, SC8, Slash, Losi mini late model, and Crawler bodies that need painted. Maybe if he will do this first crawler for me I can get him some repeat business. No hurry on the others.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #18

That paint job is just pearl white backed with black. I did do some black on the outside of the body on the hood and doors. The back around the roll bar in the bed is also painted on the outside to give it a flat look. You can really see it better in person. The rest is just decals. Kevin made those for me. He can do a sheet for about $15 or so. He can do ANYTHING you need as far as paint and decals!!!! He's good.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #19

Great! I will go through my folder "RC paint Ideas" and print off some pics I like and send them with the clear body. Thanks for all your help with this stuff I'm new to the racing crowd.