Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Venom Diff locker set-up question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #1

Default Venom Diff locker set-up question

so im looking to get the Venom locker kit with the servo. I was wondering will my dx3s radio be enough to work this set-up for front and rear diff lock and unlock or should i use something different. Thanks for any help
slvrf150fx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Yes by using a “Y” cable (two into one). Now the hard part will be setting the end points on each servo. Setting up one unit is hard enough, two will be more difficult. Another option is to only use one servo for the front and rear diff locks.

The Venom diff lock kit is just ok, but it requires constant adjustment because the cables want to flex and bend creating havoc. It would be better to mount the servo to the axels and hard link them to the diff lock arm. I suggest waiting for the dig unit; you will have more options for drag steer using a 3 channel radio.

Last edited by docfire; 02-01-2009 at 10:50 AM.
docfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #3

ok maybe ill just wait for the dig then. Thanks for you help.
slvrf150fx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfire View Post
Yes by using a “Y” cable (two into one). Now the hard part will be setting the end points on each servo. Setting up one unit is hard enough, two will be more difficult. Another option is to only use one servo for the front and rear diff locks.

The Venom diff lock kit is just ok, but it requires constant adjustment because the cables want to flex and bend creating havoc. It would be better to mount the servo to the axels and hard link them to the diff lock arm. I suggest waiting for the dig unit; you will have more options for drag steer using a 3 channel radio.

Fixed my late night spelling and grammar errors
docfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

You really need a radio capable of adjusting the end point adjustments (EPA's) on all channels. If you plan on getting the front and rear Diff Lock Kits then a 4-6CH radio is suggested. Thats the best solution so you can select each diff and adjust each diff individually.
CRAWLINGAROUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:10 AM   #6

I picked up a DX6i myself to use on a venom. Just not enough channels on the surface radios (and I started with sticks... lol. We didn't have wheel radios back in the early 80's).

Btw CRAWLINGAROUND, you guys need to dream up one more toy... with everything hooked up it will use 5 channels, that leaves one channel available. Need something for it :-)

Cheers
Thorvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Did you think of rear steer?
CRAWLINGAROUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

For comp legal , I want to see a cutting break, if you saw the live build, they made it sound pretty easy

Guys with a dx6 , are you doing steer and throtle with left thumb?
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

any tips on setting it up? thought i would share this nugget...

When i picked mine up, Jason at Venom said the threaded red guide can break the plastic it threads into and to tap it before hand. well i don't have a M4 tap so i used my body reamer and opened it up. the threads still hold and didn't have to wait on a broken part replacement! It went in butter smooth and didn't feel like it could break with the little bit i removed. It did feel too tight before i reemed it.

about to go pick up my DX6 now, it's been in the shop getting the spring put in and now I get to set it up! wish me luck.
username is offline   Reply With Quote