Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Aluminum shock upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Aluminum shock upgrade

Hey all, I have recently added the venom upgraded aluminum shocks (ven-4020), they are a great easy upgrade. All I did was use the stock plastic top and ball end and put in the stock internal springs I am running the red springs that come with the kit...They are a must have. I took a 30 foot roller and they held up like a champ and they are nice and smooth.... Its what I will be running at the WCC this weekend in the pro-class....Wish me luck!
1\4elliptic toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

peyton. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Good luck man i need to finish my upgrades on the venom next week .
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1\4elliptic toy View Post
Its what I will be running at the WCC this weekend in the pro-class....Wish me luck!
Good luck, get some GREEN

Show then boys what a Creeper can do. And keep us posted.

TomEGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #5

I just bought some Fast Lane Machine alum. shocks ill let you guys know what I think when I get them.
imotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #6

good luck and thanks for the info
codydray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
RCC Addict

RcBros has aluminum shock bodies 2 for $12, you can get all 4 bodies for the price of 2 venom (Ven-4020) ones.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #8

Default shocks

Here are the FLM shock bodies on my creeper. So far so good.

imotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Looks good keep us updated im interested in these for my creeper.
firekiddc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I'm runnig those to, they are nice
Newbee1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #11

I'm new to crawling just got my new creeper and was doing some set up reserch and noted that some people where mounting ther shocks piston side up what is that for?
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean C View Post
I'm new to crawling just got my new creeper and was doing some set up reserch and noted that some people where mounting ther shocks piston side up what is that for?
It's to lower the CG
Old 11-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Well, to add my experience to this -
I installed the Venom 4020's and ... well ... I'm going to be getting the FLM shock bodies instead. If someone wants the 4020's PM me and we'll work something out.
Pro's - aluminum, smooth (sort of), Seem fairly durable, larger bore than stock, come supplied with two decent set of springs (I ran blues rear, reds front)
Con's - leak due to poor o-ring seal design, when finger tight they spit the o-ring seal out due to lack of an internal chamfer to help retain the o-ring, poor quality control on the shock balls (had to drill out two of them to fit 3mm screws through).

Honestly, I'm not sure why they chose to stray from the use of shock bladders and go with a single o-ring sealed cap (perhaps they were supposed to use a shock bladder ... but none were supplied with mine). This type of design has been used before and failed for the same reasons. Had they simply created an inside chamfer on the cap the tendency to spit the o-ring out during tightening - merely finger tight - would have been prevented (they arrived tighter than I could get them after adding oil) and the shocks would have lived up to expectations (retaining oil in the oil filled shock). My personal view is the shocks supplied with the creeper are of a better design than the Venom 4020's ... although the downside is they are plastic, and may tend to have issues with the adjusters, FLM has supplied the needed solution to that can of worms.
Had venom simply made an Aluminum version of their stock Creeper shock they would have had a clear winner here ... as it is, I suppose they are a fairly decent shock, I may decide to chamfer the caps to cure the biggest problem with the shock as I see it. Another option I thought of was to use heat shrink to retain the o-ring after assembly, but that's just a band-aid on a sucking chest wound.
The shocks work great ... up until you need to add oil again, and to be honest ... only two have done this ... the other two seems to be holding up fine. Perhaps the supplied o-rings themselves are of issue, which again points to quality control. I really want to like the shocks but .... :?
This is just my experience with the shocks, take it for what it is, my opinion ... I really hope I just got a bad set, twice.

Last edited by Rockfrog; 11-28-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfrog View Post
Well, to add my experience to this -
I installed the Venom 4020's and ... well ... I'm going to be getting the FLM shock bodies instead. If someone wants the 4020's PM me and we'll work something out.
Pro's - aluminum, smooth (sort of), Seem fairly durable, larger bore than stock, come supplied with two decent set of springs (I ran blues rear, reds front)
Con's - leak due to poor o-ring seal design, when finger tight they spit the o-ring seal out due to lack of an internal chamfer to help retain the o-ring, poor quality control on the shock balls (had to drill out two of them to fit 3mm screws through).

Honestly, I'm not sure why they chose to stray from the use of shock bladders and go with a single o-ring sealed cap (perhaps they were supposed to use a shock bladder ... but none were supplied with mine). This type of design has been used before and failed for the same reasons. Had they simply created an inside chamfer on the cap the tendency to spit the o-ring out during tightening - merely finger tight - would have been prevented (they arrived tighter than I could get them after adding oil) and the shocks would have lived up to expectations (retaining oil in the oil filled shock). My personal view is the shocks supplied with the creeper are of a better design than the Venom 4020's ... although the downside is they are plastic, and may tend to have issues with the adjusters, FLM has supplied the needed solution to that can of worms.
Had venom simply made an Aluminum version of their stock Creeper shock they would have had a clear winner here ... as it is, I suppose they are a fairly decent shock, I may decide to chamfer the caps to cure the biggest problem with the shock as I see it. Another option I thought of was to use heat shrink to retain the o-ring after assembly, but that's just a band-aid on a sucking chest wound.
The shocks work great ... up until you need to add oil again, and to be honest ... only two have done this ... the other two seems to be holding up fine. Perhaps the supplied o-rings themselves are of issue, which again points to quality control. I really want to like the shocks but .... :?
This is just my experience with the shocks, take it for what it is, my opinion ... I really hope I just got a bad set, twice.

I had the same problem, but I fixed it with some luiquid gasket, and that seems to hold up fine.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Default Re: Aluminum shock upgrade

Super old thread, I know. Buy what do people think of these venom 4020 shocks these days? A full set can be had on ebay for $25...
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Lcc shocks.. 25-30$ on the for sale section..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #17
RCC Addict

NOt really anything in the FS section that I can find....
I may try HPI 117MM shocks or THESE
Old 01-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Just bought those shocks on eBay. I will post results when they get here. Will be going on my tube chassis, bought them for the length.
arthurc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #19
RCC Addict

"Those" as in HPI or "Those" as in Venom?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #20
RCC Addict

I just ordered the venom set. To good a deal to pass. Let us know your review Arthurc10..

Last edited by gbean; 02-04-2013 at 12:23 PM.