Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: What size servo for the Diff lock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default What size servo for the Diff lock?

I've got a used creeper coming and it already has the front diff lock installed. I'd like to use it until I get the dig unit.

My radio (Ko Propo EX-5UR) can only use digital servos so I'm looking to see what size I need in order to replace the stock servo..

TIA
jkwrangler08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I think you need a 5gram servo if you are using the cable-operated diff lock.

I had a standard diff lock on my Creeper. I soon binned it and fitted the servo directly on the axle - works much better. There's just too much slop in the cable.
I used a Hitec HS-55 9gram servo.

Are you sure that your radio only works with digital servos? I've heard that some radios need to have the frame rate adjusted for analogue servos.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks.. Yep.. The radio needs digital and there is no way to set the frame rate..

So I guess what I'm really asking is if the standard diff lock servo is the standard size, mini, or micro? Venom site doesn't give the physical size specs.

Don't want to spend a ton here but I can get into the sportsman class comps here without dig, so I thought I would use the diff lock until I moved out of that class... No rules against that Then hopefully would be able to use the same servo to run the dig..
jkwrangler08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The remote diff lock servo is very small. At least sub-micro-, possibly feather-sized.
In the RC airplane world, servos are classified by their weight. The Hitec HS-55 micro servos that I fitted to the axles of my Creeper weigh 9grams. The servo included with the optional remote diff lock kit is a fair bit smaller. It appears to be a 5gram or possibly 3gram servo.

A servo that small will struggle to operate a dig. A decent digital servo that size will probably cost more than a micro (9gram) servo. If you intend to fit a dig, best to just buy a new servo to suit the dig, rather than buying one for the remote diff lock. If you want to fit a diff lock servo directly to the axle, you could re-use that servo for the dig.

Last edited by clockworks; 11-07-2009 at 01:18 AM.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

the dig unit comes with a micro servo that is more then adequate to operate the dig.
The_kernel114 is offline   Reply With Quote