Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Problems problems problems hope it's worth it in the end

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #1

Default Problems problems problems hope it's worth it in the end

first off just want to say hi to everyone. Been through all 26 pages of threads on the creeper the last few days and they've helped out a lot. So I Originally got a losi mini crawler about a week ago and the night I got it the drive shaft pin came out 3 or 4 times on the first battery charge so I took it back to the lhs and told them I didn't spend that much money for something that was supposed to be rtr to break 4 times in 30 mins. They weren't going to take it back but they eventually did and I got a green creeper kit, 55t motor and steering servo in exchange.
So once I get home I'm feeling good about the creeper and was really happy that the losi had broken because I felt the kit would be better in the long run not to mention be more fun than the 1.9. Start putting it together which has been a pain because non of the parts bags are labled so each step I've gotta go through almose every bag of screws to be sure I'm using the right ones. This has to double or triple the time it takes to put together. That aside everything is going along fine until I get to the diffs. 4 of the 8 spider gears holes were too small and cracked when I put the pins in(great now I can only build one axle) so I get on venoms site and ordered 2 new diff gear kits incase one of the replacements does the same I wanted extra on hand. All of this was before I found this site so I had no clue that venom is supposed to have excelent customer service and prob would have sent me the parts for free but that is no big deal. So now I've got a semi built chassis with one rear axle on and can do anything until the new gears get here(Jason said they would be here Saturday) so I've been sitting around looking at this 1/2 built car since Sunday just sitting on my dining room table and last night I wanted to at least get something done on it so I decide to install the motor on the transmition. This actually went pretty smoothly. After reading how much of a pita it was on here I was relieved that it went on fairly simple but this brings me to the latest setback. So I get the motor on and get it snug so I can check to see if the gear is too loose or tight, put the wheels on the rear axle so I can turn them and as soon as I start to turn them the pin rios through the plastic drive shaft! Needless to say my creeper got called a few names last night. I had a feeling they would replace the shaft or I could order a cheap stock replacement but knowing this was a weak point I just ordered the carbon steel junfab drive shaft so hopefully this won't happen again when I get on the rocks. I am kind of glad that if it was going to break it broke now as I won't have my radio, esc and battery until Christmas or whenever I can go use the gift cards I'm getting for Christmas anyway. I am hoping in the long run all this will be a minor blip and I enjoy my creeper as much as you all seem to like yours. I know it was just a long rant but I feel better at least. Don't this other than here to many people would understand how annoying all this was. Anyway any encouraging words would be great and hope to see you all out on the rocks soon.
Josh
TJcreeperJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Josh, sorry to hear about your troubles, but hang in there the creeper is a awesome kit. From the sounds of it you got an older kit, venom was having alot of quality issues but there on right track now. As far as the driveshafts go, they look good but not very strong you made the right choice going with the junfacs.

Well best of luck and remember there are guys here that will help when needed
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJcreeperJEEP View Post
Start putting it together which has been a pain because non of the parts bags are labled so each step I've gotta go through almose every bag of screws to be sure I'm using the right ones. This has to double or triple the time it takes to put together. Josh

It's designed that way..... more time for a few beers! For those that are not old enough to drink yet, I recommend labeling and counting every bag before starting the assembly. This also gives you a head start in getting parts if something’s missing.

HRDROKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
RCC Addict

That is what i did with my sons creeper. Im about to build another one as a rockracer or sportsman class rig and everything will be custom on it except for the tranny. In the end, the Creeper is a really nice kit. It does take some modification to it but what stock rig doesnt. My AX10 is nowhere what it was when i first pulled it out of the box. One thing to note, if you have access to a 4mm tap please do yourself a favor and retap the driveshaft yokes to accept a 4mm setscrew. TRUST me you will know what i mean when you go to take out those crappy stock venom ones. Im still running stock DS's on my sons and they are holding up. Now with the larger grub screw in it makes life so much better when taking them off.
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Ser3100 - I would do that but my stock shafts are just hanging out in the 'not sure what to do with them' box. they relly should just save us all soe pan and mark the box as 'Driveshafts Not Included' since realisticly, they aren't anyway ... that's honestly one of only two issues I have with the creeper, the other being the shocks quality control issues.
Josh - Sorry you got a bum kit, once it's together it'll be well wrth the wait. It is a very good kit. I would suggest getting either the FLM lockers or the alloy diff cases for the axles though (get the alloy case if yu plan to use the unlocking feature ... otherwise FLM lockers from RCBr's for $12 ea will save some greif later on, since you have to wait anyway). The trans is probably about the last thing anyone with a creeper should ever have to worry about, it may be a little on the large side (honestly it's not that much larger than an axial trans with dig and motor) but it has massive gear overlap (read less chance of ever stripping a gear) and a plus is it throws the motor way forward.
Which length Junfacs did you get? The 82-115mm's (CR-01) are perfect for the creeper although if you do get the dig you'll still need to chop them down about 3/8" or so (haven't chopped mine down yet, I'll post up when I do). If the Junfac's pins start to walk on you, pick up some 15/32" brass tubing and cut it into 3/8" lengths. Use a set of needle nose to 'shrink' the tubing around the end bells and forget about your shafts forever. On mine only one pin was problematic but I did them all anyway.
Good luck, and remember ... use Venom's Customer Service before buying a replacement for a defective part. Their CS is top notch!
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I know what you mean rockfrog. Im just trying to see how long these would hold up and so far so good. When these do go, ill be ordering up some junfacs or MIP dig shafts. I just put on Venoms dig unit and cant wait to see it in action.
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #7

I feel your pain... my kit will MAYBE be done by next week.
SpitzerCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #8

Got my spider gears and hb rovers yesterday, so I got the from axle together. Still waiting on drive shafts but should have it all together other than the drive shafts in the next day or two. All I have left it to attach the axle to the chassis and put the springs and wheels on.
TJcreeperJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
RCC Addict

good deal
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

As mentioned by previous posts, be patient and you won't be disappointed. The creeper is a great kit once it's all together. I had a few minor problems at the start but now am very glad I bought the creeper and not the scorpion.
Captaincrash is offline   Reply With Quote